BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Rare yellow tape (1 of 1) F90

07-12-2019, 06:46 PM   #1
northtorque
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F90 2019

Rare yellow tape (1 of 1) F90

Name:  0D836B0E-9F06-4A09-B028-FB3C8106F3B0.jpg
Views: 1151
Size:  316.0 KB

Name:  A9FD1A68-4E18-4EA2-8CB3-52251EE1035F.jpg
Views: 1138
Size:  463.4 KB

Just picked up my new baby this am. Drove 400 km to Toronto to drop it off for full PPF, tint, ceramic coat, interior protection and front/back IND reflector deletes. Will post picks when finished. Given the distance travelled I did not want to take any chances with rock chips or debris - hence the hack yellow tape job. I used the frog brand yellow painters tape that has the very gentle mild adhesive to avoid leaving adhesive on the paint ( this tape is safe for wall paper and even paint after 24 hrs post application). I also had the dealer leave on the hood protective cover from shipping. Tape started to loosen a bit at the front bumper corners after an hour on the highway so I reinforced it with a few strips of green painters tape overtop which was a bit stronger. Never went over posted speed limits lol. Tape held up quite good considering the abuse it took. No rock chips on tape removal so it did the job. I wasn’t going to go to all the trouble of getting full ppf but get chips in the process of driving there as there was no one local to do a job I would be happy with, hence the drive to Toronto. Never been this OCD about a vehicle before but I’m sure you all can understand!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 07:33 PM   #2
boredM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Ford F-350 & Nardo F90

hahaha Awesome
I was going to do the same thing if I didnt find enclosed transport to bring it to me

Enjoy
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 08:29 PM   #3
soopa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5

I have gone out of my way to visit shops but 400KM!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 09:42 PM   #4
VeNoM__M5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by northtorque View Post
Attachment 2097963

Attachment 2097964

Just picked up my new baby this am. Drove 400 km to Toronto to drop it off for full PPF, tint, ceramic coat, interior protection and front/back IND reflector deletes. Will post picks when finished. Given the distance travelled I did not want to take any chances with rock chips or debris - hence the hack yellow tape job. I used the frog brand yellow painters tape that has the very gentle mild adhesive to avoid leaving adhesive on the paint ( this tape is safe for wall paper and even paint after 24 hrs post application). I also had the dealer leave on the hood protective cover from shipping. Tape started to loosen a bit at the front bumper corners after an hour on the highway so I reinforced it with a few strips of green painters tape overtop which was a bit stronger. Never went over posted speed limits lol. Tape held up quite good considering the abuse it took. No rock chips on tape removal so it did the job. I wasn’t going to go to all the trouble of getting full ppf but get chips in the process of driving there as there was no one local to do a job I would be happy with, hence the drive to Toronto. Never been this OCD about a vehicle before but I’m sure you all can understand!
Xpel does sell relatively inexpensive precut film that you can apply before a full or custom PPF job as an fyi.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 10:20 PM   #5
northtorque
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredM View Post
hahaha Awesome
I was going to do the same thing if I didnt find enclosed transport to bring it to me

Enjoy
Thanks. Ya I thought about transport but the round trip will get me to break in service a lot sooner which is a win-win!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 10:21 PM   #6
northtorque
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by soopa View Post
I have gone out of my way to visit shops but 400KM!
Ditto!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 10:25 PM   #7
northtorque
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeNoM__M5 View Post
Xpel does sell relatively inexpensive precut film that you can apply before a full or custom PPF job as an fyi.
Wasn’t aware, sounds good - the xpel would have been more durable I’m sure. Can’t beat the price of the tape though; whole job cost 11 dollars Canadian and took about 15 minutes. A a few minutes patch work at a highway stop lol
Appreciate 1
VeNoM__M5383.00
      07-13-2019, 06:00 AM   #8
The.M5
Private First Class
Abu Dhabi
Rep
Drives: M5 F90 2018

Hahahaa great job dude. Back home in UAE we got some sandy paint that we can apply to protect our cars from sand and small rock chips, but not as effective as a ppf tho or tape id say.
      07-13-2019, 12:24 PM   #9
BMW-Newbie
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M401

Garage List
2017 BMW 430ix  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Attachment 2097963

Attachment 2097964

So do you PPF first and then ceramic? Do lots of people do both? And one more newbie question: is the PPF literally all exposed paint and the carbon roof or just select areas? Thanks in advance for educating me.

And sweet tape job by the way. I thought it was a BMW art car.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 12:29 PM   #10
northtorque
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-Newbie View Post
So do you PPF first and then ceramic? Do lots of people do both? And one more newbie question: is the PPF literally all exposed paint and the carbon roof or just select areas? Thanks in advance for educating me.
Correct, the ppf goes on first then the ceramic ( else the ceramic would impede ppf adhesion). You can get part or all of exposed paint/etc ppf. Get quotes from reputable installers in your area - depends on the cost benefit which is different for everyone. I purchased so did whole car in ppf which is a first for me. If it was a lease I would have not done full. On a lease I might even go just ceramic only.
Appreciate 1
      07-14-2019, 08:56 PM   #11
northtorque
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibbie View Post
Hahahaa great job dude. Back home in UAE we got some sandy paint that we can apply to protect our cars from sand and small rock chips, but not as effective as a ppf tho or tape id say.
Ya Ibbie, the tape worked great but I would not have wanted to drive much further as the tape was starting to fray in spots by 400km. I see your from UAE - I have always wondered how the sustained sand abrasion exposure on paint over in areas such as UAE must be really hard to deal with on your vehicles. PPF and ceramic I’m sure would help - that and a well sealed garage!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 06:10 AM   #12
A Need For Speed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Comp Nardo/Aragon

Quote:
Correct, the ppf goes on first then the ceramic ( else the ceramic would impede ppf adhesion). You can get part or all of exposed paint/etc ppf. Get quotes from reputable installers in your area - depends on the cost benefit which is different for everyone. I purchased so did whole car in ppf which is a first for me. If it was a lease I would have not done full. On a lease I might even go just ceramic only.

Have full body PPF as well and highly recommend. Ceramic over PPF did not make any sense to me and did not do. Did have the wheels and calipers ceramic coated to make cleaning brake dust off easier. Seems to help a bit, maybe 30% easier. In the final analysis, brake dust sucks no matter what. I need to find an aftermarket pad that doesn't trash my rims with dust.
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2019, 07:44 AM   #13
marcvtec
Banned
Rep
Drives: M5

which shop did you go to ? Gta in detail perhaps ?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 10:10 AM   #14
northtorque
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvtec View Post
which shop did you go to ? Gta in detail perhaps ?
AMP-Motorsports in Concord just north of the 407. They got a solid recommendation from euro* on the Bimmerpost Canada Regional Forum and other reviews look great. First impression is that they are a solid shop and I left feeling confident that they will do a stellar job. I'll post pics and give my final impressions when I get back from picking her up this weekend.
Appreciate 0