BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-04-2019, 12:27 PM   #1
BMW-Newbie
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M401

Garage List
2017 BMW 430ix  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
+1 First Impression

Hi All,

Test drove the X3M yesterday. I'm an X3 M40i owner for 1 year. Worshipped performance cars my whole life but I'm new to actually being around them. Point being, I'm easier to impress than the dudes who can rattle off the last 10 code names of all the M cars they've owned.

Dropped the wife and kid off for a haircut and ran down to the dealer. As I pulled up, the X3M they had was pulling out; darn it! Fortunately, it came back. SA said they have a line waiting to order it: 5 people.

Looks — Exterior
I'm one who b!tched and moaned about it looking "the same" as an M40i. I take all that back. Everything about the car is better in person. Donnington grey is really all that. Compared to my white M40i the lines are so sharp I wanted to drop a piece of paper on it to see if it'd get sliced in half like on a katana blade.

In person, its presence and looks were far more "M-like" than I expected. Even the wheels; seeing their stance and curves in person made an impression on me. (I had also complained about them before; dimwit.)

That being said, anyone who says the rear spoiler does anything for the looks is still full of baloney IMHO. (Different things stick out for different folks I guess.)

Looks — Interior
Had the black and tan and boy it really pops. Cabin seemed brighter and more upscale. I know some folks on here talk like they were born in a Ferrari and weaned on the teats of a Lamborghini, but I thought it was really nice. Like the exterior, it felt more M-like in person.

Steering Tire
The steering wheel is about 2 or 3 times thicker than the M40i's. It's like steering with a tractor tire; but I love it! The whole car is a bit ludicrous anyway, so why not?!

Sound
Unable to extract the loud whaps and pops I have in my M40i, but lots of factors impact that. HOWEVER, before pulling out, I rolled down the windows and the SA toggled the exhaust flaps on and off. First, mellow mode; all calm. Next, open flaps; I was actually a bit startled. The base and rumble are there. I assume it's not like an AMG, but I suspect you can scare small children as you drop off your kid at elementary school. Again, way better in person than what you experience online. See for yourself: vimeo.com/351906120

Driving
Definitely more taut than my M40i, but "harsh" never crossed my mind. The wife or mother-in-law will be fine. Felt more planted, sharp, and acceleration was "nice" Had about 15 minute drive, little highway, little bit of twisties.

Cargo Space
Spare tire easts some space. It's really annoying coming from the M40i, but not a deal-breaker. Also, it didn't have the cargo netting on the side cut-outs. I use that all the time, so I'd really miss that; also annoying, but not a deal-breaker if you're set on a vehicle like this. SA said you can't put a tow hitch on this, in case you were thinking of that.

Final thoughts
Awesome, get it. Anyone who says it's not enough of a step up, I respectfully disagree. If you want the "best" just get it. It will be the best of what they offer currently.

Punching above my weight
That being said, I've also got an itch for an M5. Looking forward to the driving event on Sept. 11 (peace be upon the fallen). I'm hoping the M5C will scare me back down to the the X3M so I can still afford to send my daughter to college.

Peace out all! Drive safe.
Attached Images

Last edited by BMW-Newbie; 08-04-2019 at 12:50 PM.. Reason: Can't figure out how post a video...frustrating.
Appreciate 4
ando1954.50
GianniB35.00
JTO245246.50
      08-04-2019, 01:33 PM   #2
MrItaly
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M Competition

I too am upgrading from an M40i to the X3MC. On that spare tire, you can order it with the mobility kit which should restore your cargo area to the bliss you know and love. I saw some photos from the press day with that raised cargo area for the spare and felt nauteous. Luckily, someone here in the forums mentioned the mobility package, and I quickly altered my order just in time.
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2019, 02:17 PM   #3
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrItaly View Post
I too am upgrading from an M40i to the X3MC. On that spare tire, you can order it with the mobility kit which should restore your cargo area to the bliss you know and love. I saw some photos from the press day with that raised cargo area for the spare and felt nauteous. Luckily, someone here in the forums mentioned the mobility package, and I quickly altered my order just in time.
I am looking at buying a HEA car now that is close to how i would build my own but it has the spare tire. And that raised hump is pretty annoying. Just for loading stuff it seems like a pain.

Seems like for a M car the mobility kit should have been standard and spare tire as an option.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 03:13 PM   #4
MrItaly
Major
Rep

Totally agree. They got that backwards!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 03:31 PM   #5
-JLT-
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M COMP, '23 iX xDrive50

regarding the tow hitch, your SA doesn't know what he's talking about. aftermarket companies will make a tow hitch for it soon (eg Invisahitch)
      08-04-2019, 04:20 PM   #6
MrItaly
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JLT- View Post
regarding the tow hitch, your SA doesn't know what he's talking about. aftermarket companies will make a tow hitch for it soon (eg Invisahitch)
True dat. I'm in contact with stealth hitch already. They're just waiting to get their hands on an F97.
Appreciate 0