BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums iDrive, Nav, Stereo, Bluetooth, Electronics    Astell & Kern DAP and the Bowers Wilkins

08-04-2019, 05:48 PM   #1
utsteve98
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Has anyone connected an Astell & Kern DAP, particularly the KANN model? If so, have you used the Tidal streaming of MQA? Any discernible difference from an iPhone or IPod using the higher quality AAC files at 256kpbs or Spotify with at least 320kpbs?

I figure the BW systems is high end enough to maybe hear a difference and wanted to see anyone's experience?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 04:58 PM   #2
Ehloo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 x5 m

Don’t have a f90 yet but have a f85 with BO system. Your source is the most important if trying to truly hear the difference in the upgraded system

I am using Tidal and you can def hear the difference even with Bluetooth.
Biggest difference is usb connected

Not sure if a DAP is necessary. Just let the speakers break in and things will sound much better

Quote:
Originally Posted by utsteve98 View Post
Has anyone connected an Astell & Kern DAP, particularly the KANN model? If so, have you used the Tidal streaming of MQA? Any discernible difference from an iPhone or IPod using the higher quality AAC files at 256kpbs or Spotify with at least 320kpbs?

I figure the BW systems is high end enough to maybe hear a difference and wanted to see anyone's experience?
Appreciate 1
utsteve98112.50
      09-09-2019, 01:15 PM   #3
utsteve98
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehloo View Post
Don’t have a f90 yet but have a f85 with BO system. Your source is the most important if trying to truly hear the difference in the upgraded system

I am using Tidal and you can def hear the difference even with Bluetooth.
Biggest difference is usb connected

Not sure if a DAP is necessary. Just let the speakers break in and things will sound much better

Quote:
Originally Posted by utsteve98 View Post

After some more research, I found that a DAP was not necessary as you stated. With Tidal and iOS, the first unfolding is done in the phone. With Apple CarPlay over WiFi, the bandwidth is high enough to not require compression of the digital info for transmission to the B&W system. Finally, the DAC built into the B&W does the conversion itself.

Ultimately, playing Masters tracks from Tidal on the B&W system is outstanding. This is the only way to really appreciate the quality of the B&W. Definitely happy with this setup.
Appreciate 0