Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Problem with Speed Limit detection (Kafas camera)

08-07-2019, 04:15 PM   #1
Wodzu
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i / BMW F30 318d

Problem with Speed Limit detection (Kafas camera)

Hi, did anyone have a problem with the speed limit detection? I have a base 330i with iDrive 6.0 (no maps) but there is no information on actual speed limit being detected by the Kafas camera and what I see all the time in the cluster is a greyish sign with word "limit" inside instead of the actual information on what the limit is. I went to the dealer, they said there is an issue with Kafas camera, had it replaced, recoded, but did not solve the issue. They told me "camera may need to learn which may take up to 2 days" and asked to come back if didn't work, but still they have no other solution at hand as there were no problems detected in the system after replacing and coding. Today after 6 hours "camera learnt nothing" Any clues?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 01:34 AM   #2
mathys
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G82 - G01 - F56

You have a picture of the 'limit' sign? Is it not an indication that a limit on your top speed is set manually through idrive/cockpit and hasn't been reached?
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2019, 07:38 AM   #3
Wodzu
Rep

Here comes the photo. According to the dealer there was a misfunction detected regards the KAFAS camera which they have it replaced. As long as "Speed Limit" is default function for G20 as part of the Active Guard Plus which I have, there should be an actual limit instead of what you can see in the picture I assume.

Plus this sign stays the same no matter what limit is set (if any) or if reached or not.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      08-22-2019, 03:02 PM   #4
Calamari
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G21 330d, 2008 E87 118i

I have the same system as you do. iDrive 6 without Navi (i opted out cause I use waze and google maps on Android phone).

My car recognizes signs without any problems. Production date was just in the end of July 2019.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 11:29 AM   #5
Wodzu
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamari View Post
I have the same system as you do. iDrive 6 without Navi (i opted out cause I use waze and google maps on Android phone).

My car recognizes signs without any problems. Production date was just in the end of July 2019.
Thanks, the dealer can't solve the problem and now Munich is involved. They try to establish the reason behind, I will further inform on progress, if any
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 09:31 AM   #6
Wodzu
Rep

Well. BMW Poland have tried to sweep this under the carpet stating that it should not work at all. Seems that no-one in the whole BMW in Poland was aware that this function should work without navigation or active tempomat until now. This whole story and (thanks to Calamari) evidence provided made them found another similarly spec'd car and test on their own. To their suprise it works.

Now they try to figure out what's wrong with mine as all the tests are now fine, the camera has been replaced and now no issues are being reported in their systems... Munich and Stuttgard are also involved.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 10:58 AM   #7
Calamari
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wodzu View Post
Well. BMW Poland have tried to sweep this under the carpet stating that it should not work at all. Seems that no-one in the whole BMW in Poland was aware that this function should work without navigation or active tempomat until now. This whole story and (thanks to Calamari) evidence provided made them found another similarly spec'd car and test on their own. To their suprise it works.

Now they try to figure out what's wrong with mine as all the tests are now fine, the camera has been replaced and now no issues are being reported in their systems... Munich and Stuttgard are also involved.
So, let me just confirm if I understood you correctly - They replaced the camera on your car, but speed limit signs are still not detected and displayed on dashboard?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 01:51 AM   #8
Wodzu
Rep

Correct. They replaced it, have the car reprogrammed a couple of times (3 at least) but that did not solve the issue. This might be something on a production line that they cannot find that easily as none issues are reported after programming (there were several however berofe they replaced the camera). They don't know what's going on and how to fix it and are trying to figure it out (however with no access to the car right now as they claim they checked everything they could during the week they had it at place while me being on holidays). I will keep you posted.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 04:10 PM   #9
Wodzu
Rep

So, yesterday and today Munchen did their job (online) and they made a decision to replace the whole radio, they believe it should solve the problem with camera's nonrecognition of the signs. BMW Poland had to order radio from Munchen so it will be replaced next week. Fingers crossed, will keep you posted.
Appreciate 1
      09-05-2019, 04:44 PM   #10
Calamari
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the update. As a software engineer I'm curiously waiting to see what is the root cause of this issue
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 04:36 AM   #11
Wodzu
Rep

So, over 25 days at the dealer later the car got repaired. The radio replacement (did twice) and reprogramming did not work. Finally, BMW AG had to make a special program to recode the car properly which solved the issue. They said it was the only such mistake they had... I am happy that I insisted on doing this, a bit disappointed that this took them so long but all in all there is a happy ending to this story. Thanks Calamari for your help!
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2019, 02:13 AM   #12
Calamari
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wodzu View Post
So, over 25 days at the dealer later the car got repaired. The radio replacement (did twice) and reprogramming did not work. Finally, BMW AG had to make a special program to recode the car properly which solved the issue. They said it was the only such mistake they had... I am happy that I insisted on doing this, a bit disappointed that this took them so long but all in all there is a happy ending to this story. Thanks Calamari for your help!
Your'e welcome. Glad you finally got this sorted out. It's also interesting that factory handled this fault directly and individually. That's pretty rare in this day and age of mass produced goods.
Appreciate 1