E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > No more 3 Series "Editions"

08-16-2008, 09:07 AM   #1
trickydicky007
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 318i M Sport Edition

No more 3 Series "Editions"

Due to my lease company messing about when ordering my new car, I have missed the opportunity to have a "factory made" 318i Edition M sport, fortunately my local dealer has a brand new one on stock and I have secured this one.

The only downside is I am unable to specify any options, so I have had a change in exterior colour, a change in leather colour and no Hi-Fi upgrade....grrrrrr.

I had ordered Speakling Graphite, Black Dakota Leather and the Hi-Fi Upgrade, but now will have Carbon Black, Lemon Dakota Leather!!!!!!! USB interface (handy as I have an IPOD Touch) and Sun Protection Glass.

It looks fantastic with the Lemon Dakota, but I am concerened about keeping it clean with 2 kids under 5, could be I have to use a seat cover (yuck...) in the rear?

It was either this car or loose the deal, it was too good to miss, I could have gone for a standard M Sport, but lost the leather, sat-nav, WTCC 18" wheels etc and the new model is more money!

My local dealer Ocean BMW, Falmouth, Cornwall)has been very helpful and had it not been for them I would have no car at all (well not an Edition) my lease does not start until the 1st of October, I can't wait. I've "visited" my new car twice in the last week just to look at it, how sad is that?

Tricky
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2008, 10:20 AM   #2
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
Quote:
I've "visited" my new car twice in the last week just to look at it, how sad is that?
Pretty much normal around these parts actually

Personally I consider your changed spec to be an improvement, Graphite is a very common colour on BMs and doesn't look it's best except when highly polished under sodium lights.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2008, 10:54 AM   #3
Budgie
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X1 25D M sport

Garage List
Yeah i agree with Alan ....better car ....

Imagine choco all over the lemon lol..at least they cant see u batter the kids to death with sun protection glass lol.

Good luck and welcome to the club shortly
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2008, 11:47 AM   #4
trickydicky007
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the welcome!

In my heart I agree totally it is a better car, I haven't seen many Carbon Black BMW's around, my only reservation was it looks blue at times, as opposed to Saphire Black which is very black, if you see what I mean?

Initially I was very tempted by the Terra Dakota, but stuck with black (I have black in my current Honda Accord Tourer Exec) as it was practical, but have to admit the Lemon Dakota with the black interior and headlining does look really nice.

I think that the Black Dakota with the Anthracite headlining may have been a bit too much black and that the Lemon Dakota offsets this nicely especially with the door panel inserts.

I have already warned the family that there will be no eating or drinking in the car and that slippers are mandatory!

Wonder how long that will last?

My car is a work vehicle and does get dirty driving around the country lanes here in Cornwall, but my current car is almost 4 yrs old and still cleans up like new on the inside.

As I have seen mentioned in other threads there are unfortunately a few dings in the bodywork from morons in car parks!! It doesn't matter how far away you park (much to my missus and the kids annoyance) someone still parks next door with a wreck and hits your car with their doors as many times as possible.

Oh well rant over! Been to see the car again today in the pouring rain, looks great even though it is still covered in the shipping wax coating and all the interior is covered in the original plastic wrapping, so it will look stunning when it has been PDI'd. I'm going down to pick it up from the showroom first thing in the morning on October the 1st.

I have always been "excited" about my new car, but this time it's even more exciting, haven't felt like this since Christmas when I was about 12.....

Tricky
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2008, 11:57 AM   #5
trickydicky007
United Kingdom
Rep

Just a quick question, the Edition model comes with Business Sat-Nav, which it would appear means that when it is in use, you cannot use the CD player? My question is will it be easy to fit a CD changer in the boot, as I believe this will enable CD playback whilst using the Sat-Nav.

Looking at various posts, it would seem that the wiring is present in the boot and it should be possible to install the changer in there.

My only concern is that there seems to be a lot of talk about having to update/reprogramme the on board computer if changes like this are made?

Any advice would be great!

Hope this is not in an inappropriate place in the forum.

Tricky
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 08:41 AM   #6
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

If you've got the 6FL option then why bother? You can store much more than 6 CD worth on a 4Gb USB stick and you can use that whilst the map cd is in the cd drive. The 6FL also supports external HDD - you could get one of those and store your entire CD collection thereon.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 12:31 PM   #7
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X70 on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
If you've got the 6FL option then why bother? You can store much more than 6 CD worth on a 4Gb USB stick and you can use that whilst the map cd is in the cd drive. The 6FL also supports external HDD - you could get one of those and store your entire CD collection thereon.
With the 6FL option coming with your new car I think you've lucked out.

For me it should be standard on all new cars! I'll be retrofitting it to my car as soon as it's possible.

With the price of USB sticks, you can store plenty of music in a loss-less format and even more at 192kbps and never hear the same song twice if you wanted to!

My Christmas comes next Wednesday!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 04:05 AM   #8
trickydicky007
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the replies, I see what you are saying! Just load all my music onto the Ipod and there is no real need for the cd, makes sense!

I assume in my ignorance, the 6FL option is the USB interface!

Tricky
Appreciate 0