BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Wheels and Tires Newbie - Trying to change tires - Please Help

08-14-2019, 02:21 PM   #1
Chow
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i XDrive M Sport

Newbie - Trying to change tires - Please Help

Recently got the 330i xDrive in the M Sport Package with the 19 inch Jet Black Bi-Color Wheels.

The car came with the following tire/wheel set up
Front --> 225/40 R19 93Y
Rear --> 255/35 R19 96Y

They are currently on the Pirelli Run-Flat Max Performance Summer tires. I want to switch them out to an ultra high performance all season tire. I live in NYC

My questions (some of them are very newbie)
1) Since I am on a staggered stance, can I switch to a square stance while keeping the same wheels? Or in order to have a square stance would I have to get wheels that are the same size?

2) If I am able to get a square stance without buying new wheels, do you have to do anything with the car? Does the suspension have to be changed? Or is just buying the tires and mounting and balancing?

3) Any drawbacks of getting an ultra performance all season tire compared to a summer tire? Any drawbacks to going to a square stance when the car was taken from the dealer in a staggered stance?

4) Anyone ever use Yokohama advan sport a/s tires? Good reviews on tirerack, want to see if anyone here had any personal opinions.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by Chow; 08-14-2019 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 01:42 PM   #2
Wmzorba09
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw M340 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chow View Post
Recently got the 330i xDrive in the M Sport Package with the 19 inch Jet Black Bi-Color Wheels.

The car came with the following tire/wheel set up
Front --> 225/40 R19 93Y
Rear --> 255/35 R19 96Y

They are currently on the Pirelli Run-Flat Max Performance Summer tires. I want to switch them out to an ultra high performance all season tire. I live in NYC

My questions (some of them are very newbie)
1) Since I am on a staggered stance, can I switch to a square stance while keeping the same wheels? Or in order to have a square stance would I have to get wheels that are the same size?

2) If I am able to get a square stance without buying new wheels, do you have to do anything with the car? Does the suspension have to be changed? Or is just buying the tires and mounting and balancing?

3) Any drawbacks of getting an ultra performance all season tire compared to a summer tire? Any drawbacks to going to a square stance when the car was taken from the dealer in a staggered stance?

4) Anyone ever use Yokohama advan sport a/s tires? Good reviews on tirerack, want to see if anyone here had any personal opinions.

Thanks for the help!
I have an M340 with 19" 791M (Jet Black) all seasons square set up with Bridgestone 225s square set up and want to switch the rear wheels to accommodate a 255 staggered set up, but it seems like the best and most cost efficient way would be to swap wheels and buy new tires since both my front and rear wheels are 8" as opposed to the 8.5" rear wheel that comes on the staggered. Are your rear wheels 791M?
Appreciate 0