BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum BMW Drive recorder in action

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-16-2019, 07:49 AM   #1
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
JayPichardo's Avatar
2475
Rep
2,147
Posts

Drives: X3 M40i
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Tulley BMW Nashua, NH

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 BMW 135I  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
BMW Drive recorder in action

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
__________________
Jay P
BMW Client Advisor in NH.
2xPIA & 3xCOE winner.
M Performance Specialist. Jpichardo@tulley.com

Contact me for all your BMW needs in the New England area.
Appreciate 27
      08-16-2019, 08:43 AM   #2
FreddyBMW
Second Lieutenant
39
Rep
251
Posts

Drives: BMW X7 401i
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Hi jay. Always thanks for keeping us updated with the new stuff.

When you say "Select iDrive 7 Models", could you please specify which models/years are those? And how to get the App if it's not in our iDrive?

Thank you so much!
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2019, 09:26 AM   #3
FreddyBMW
Second Lieutenant
39
Rep
251
Posts

Drives: BMW X7 401i
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Hi Jay. What is the software version and the model/year are you at on?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 10:02 AM   #4
Wild Blue
Major
Wild Blue's Avatar
United_States
425
Rep
1,250
Posts

Drives: 2004 BMW 330i w/ZHP Perf Pkg
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Alaska

iTrader: (0)

Thanks as always, Jay! Very helpful.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 10:03 AM   #5
760Lifan
Lieutenant
760Lifan's Avatar
United_States
103
Rep
451
Posts

Drives: 2017 Audi Q7, 2017 Lincoln MKZ
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Land O Lakes, FL

iTrader: (0)

Thanks for that video, Jay!

What a great option - what took BMW (and others) so long?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 12:58 PM   #6
jmciver
Captain
jmciver's Avatar
United_States
331
Rep
765
Posts

Drives: '17 M3 ZCP - STM, '05 M3 - IR
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: DMV

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
So this is BMWs attempt to have an OEM and integrated dash cam system (unlike the BMW non-integrated dash cam "Advanced Car Eye" - which is very ugly IMHO and not very capable compared to aftermarket solutions). Can you provide any insight as to what BMW has planned for this system in the not too distant future? For example, is there a "parking mode" functionality that may be available? Or is BMW only going to stick with the current "driving/accident detection" functionality which you demonstrated? What about being able to send videos to/from the cloud or monitor live video from a cell phone or computer (these are functions found on current high end aftermarket dash cam systems)?

I currently have a BlackVue dash cam installed in my F80. It has the functionality (both parking mode and driving) that is most common on mid to high end aftermarket dash cams. It would be great if the BMW solution closely matched the features of what is available on aftermarket dash cam systems.

Quick related questions, what is the resolution of the video? Is it the same resolution for all cameras? For comparison, my BlackVue model has 1080p resolution front and rear (and would be considered a mid grade system) - with high end dash cam systems having 4k resolution front/rear available now. Also, what is the video storage capacity of the system and is the storage capacity removable/upgradeable (i.e. via a SD card)?
__________________
2017 Smoked Topaz Metallic ZCP F80 M3 - The Daily Street Monster
2005 Imola Red E46 M3 - TTFS Tuned, VF Engineering Supercharged, 560HP Track Prepped Monster, Yet Still Very Streetable

Last edited by jmciver; 08-16-2019 at 01:03 PM..
Appreciate 3
      08-16-2019, 01:29 PM   #7
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
JayPichardo's Avatar
2475
Rep
2,147
Posts

Drives: X3 M40i
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Tulley BMW Nashua, NH

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 BMW 135I  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyBMW View Post
Hi jay. Always thanks for keeping us updated with the new stuff.

When you say "Select iDrive 7 Models", could you please specify which models/years are those? And how to get the App if it's not in our iDrive?

Thank you so much!
It is optional on X5, X7 and 7 Series. Rumor has it that it will become a paid app in the connected drive portal for cars with the Parking Assistamt package (360 cameras)
__________________
Jay P
BMW Client Advisor in NH.
2xPIA & 3xCOE winner.
M Performance Specialist. Jpichardo@tulley.com

Contact me for all your BMW needs in the New England area.
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan2713.00
clee1982392.00

      08-16-2019, 01:31 PM   #8
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
JayPichardo's Avatar
2475
Rep
2,147
Posts

Drives: X3 M40i
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Tulley BMW Nashua, NH

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 BMW 135I  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyBMW View Post
Hi Jay. What is the software version and the model/year are you at on?
2020 X7
__________________
Jay P
BMW Client Advisor in NH.
2xPIA & 3xCOE winner.
M Performance Specialist. Jpichardo@tulley.com

Contact me for all your BMW needs in the New England area.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 02:19 PM   #9
alex2364
Lieutenant Colonel
alex2364's Avatar
United_States
891
Rep
1,512
Posts

Drives: 2017 M4 ZCP
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Northern VA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [0.00]
Looks like this is only good for major accidents. I wish it would do a continuous record with audio so that it can catch door dings in parking lots and street parking incidents.
Appreciate 2
skiparock120.00
maxnix204.00

      08-16-2019, 02:49 PM   #10
UGAdawg
Enlisted Member
17
Rep
39
Posts

Drives: 2019 X7 40i
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPichardo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyBMW View Post
Hi jay. Always thanks for keeping us updated with the new stuff.

When you say "Select iDrive 7 Models", could you please specify which models/years are those? And how to get the App if it's not in our iDrive?

Thank you so much!
It is optional on X5, X7 and 7 Series. Rumor has it that it will become a paid app in the connected drive portal for cars with the Parking Assistamt package (360 cameras)
So if an owner has a 2019 x7 with the parking assistance package, are you alluding to this being available as a software add-on?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 03:11 PM   #11
cfm56d7b
Brigadier General
United_States
1435
Rep
4,111
Posts

Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (2)

@JayPichardo, thanks for sharing.

I am also interested in future plans for the iDrive recorder. Any insights?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 03:38 PM   #12
ADS-UK
Captain
ADS-UK's Avatar
United Kingdom
441
Rep
969
Posts

Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
This makes perfect sense than having to setup a recorder. Love the simplicity of implementation. Time to move out of G30 soon
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2019, 03:41 PM   #13
///M TOWN
.
///M TOWN's Avatar
1661
Rep
1,927
Posts

Drives: ///M
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: North America

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
So this is BMWs attempt to have an OEM and integrated dash cam system (unlike the BMW non-integrated dash cam "Advanced Car Eye" - which is very ugly IMHO and not very capable compared to aftermarket solutions). Can you provide any insight as to what BMW has planned for this system in the not too distant future? For example, is there a "parking mode" functionality that may be available? Or is BMW only going to stick with the current "driving/accident detection" functionality which you demonstrated? What about being able to send videos to/from the cloud or monitor live video from a cell phone or computer (these are functions found on current high end aftermarket dash cam systems)?

I currently have a BlackVue dash cam installed in my F80. It has the functionality (both parking mode and driving) that is most common on mid to high end aftermarket dash cams. It would be great if the BMW solution closely matched the features of what is available on aftermarket dash cam systems.

Quick related questions, what is the resolution of the video? Is it the same resolution for all cameras? For comparison, my BlackVue model has 1080p resolution front and rear (and would be considered a mid grade system) - with high end dash cam systems having 4k resolution front/rear available now. Also, what is the video storage capacity of the system and is the storage capacity removable/upgradeable (i.e. via a SD card)?
BlackVue is the best way to go.

I am about to install one in my M this weekend.

It's the modern day alarm system as far as I'm concerned.
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2019, 04:17 PM   #14
F85MTuNED
Lieutenant
F85MTuNED's Avatar
250
Rep
420
Posts

Drives: ///Ⓜ️
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: NY / NJ

iTrader: (0)

Very nice!
__________________
IM POOR..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 04:37 PM   #15
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
JayPichardo's Avatar
2475
Rep
2,147
Posts

Drives: X3 M40i
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Tulley BMW Nashua, NH

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 BMW 135I  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
@JayPichardo, thanks for sharing.

I am also interested in future plans for the iDrive recorder. Any insights?
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAdawg View Post
So if an owner has a 2019 x7 with the parking assistance package, are you alluding to this being available as a software add-on?


There is a rumor that this could become a downloadable app in the future.
__________________
Jay P
BMW Client Advisor in NH.
2xPIA & 3xCOE winner.
M Performance Specialist. Jpichardo@tulley.com

Contact me for all your BMW needs in the New England area.
Appreciate 3
cfm56d7b1435.00
clee1982392.00
UGAdawg17.00

      08-16-2019, 06:15 PM   #16
F32Fleet
Major General
F32Fleet's Avatar
United_States
1287
Rep
7,637
Posts

Drives: 2015 435i
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Southeastern US

iTrader: (0)

For those who are interested in the this technology I recommend you become acquainted with the legal concept; Spoliation of evidence.
__________________
"Drive more, worry less. "

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN1660.50

      08-16-2019, 07:13 PM   #17
buckybadger
BMW forever!
buckybadger's Avatar
325
Rep
1,012
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (0)

Will this be in the 2020 X5? This looks like a must have.
__________________
2019 BMW M2 Competition
2014 BMW 335i
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 07:22 PM   #18
///M TOWN
.
///M TOWN's Avatar
1661
Rep
1,927
Posts

Drives: ///M
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: North America

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
For those who are interested in the this technology I recommend you become acquainted with the legal concept; Spoliation of evidence.
Well if I wasn't informed by someone like yourself, how would I know that?
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2019, 07:35 PM   #19
claykin
Colonel
United_States
425
Rep
2,923
Posts

Drives: various BMW
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPichardo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyBMW View Post
Hi jay. Always thanks for keeping us updated with the new stuff.

When you say "Select iDrive 7 Models", could you please specify which models/years are those? And how to get the App if it's not in our iDrive?

Thank you so much!
It is optional on X5, X7 and 7 Series. Rumor has it that it will become a paid app in the connected drive portal for cars with the Parking Assistamt package (360 cameras)
iDrive7 cars only.

DR is a $200 factory option on the models mentioned above (or included in a package). As Jay said, rumor has it the app will be available for purchase (Connected Drive store) on other iDrive7 models equipped with PA package.

2020 G30 might be excluded since it appears to have iDrive7 lite. That's my assumption.

For those asking, version 1.0 of DR has no parking mode, no continuous recording and doesn't appear to record directly to a USB drive. It's definitely helpful, but not exactly a full featured dashcam.
__________________
2017 540i | 2019 X3 | 2019 540i MSport
Appreciate 3
      08-16-2019, 08:25 PM   #20
760Lifan
Lieutenant
760Lifan's Avatar
United_States
103
Rep
451
Posts

Drives: 2017 Audi Q7, 2017 Lincoln MKZ
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Land O Lakes, FL

iTrader: (0)

I'm still planning on putting a BlackVue on mine but with this feature, will certainly skip the rear camera option and its somewhat complicated installation (I don't want to run a wire through the headliner).

The BlackVue will be the camera for general recording but the drive recorder is great with its option to record 4 angles at the same time. It will be a great addition and backup to the BlackVue.
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2019, 08:49 PM   #21
hockeymen14
Private
60
Rep
93
Posts

Drives: 07' 328i e90 sport package
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Gulfport, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
For those who are interested in the this technology I recommend you become acquainted with the legal concept; Spoliation of evidence.
Can you simplify this in laymen's terms please? I just read half of an article from the Florida bar and can't quite deduce if you're hinting that if the drive recorder failed you could pursue BMW for what I think is "spoliation of evidence" or if you were indicating that this would serve no purpose in some manner. Just interested in your reason behind the statement. Thank you.
Appreciate 1
cjack26.00

      08-16-2019, 09:45 PM   #22
COBodom
Private First Class
COBodom's Avatar
33
Rep
197
Posts

Drives: 2018 540xi
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Wonder how sensitive this thing is and what really sets off a "trigger" (aka accident)? Proximity sensors? Airbags deployment?
__________________
Current: 2018 540xi MSport
Prior: 2015 BMW 528xi MSport
Prior: 2012 BMW 528xi

Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:57 PM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST