E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > My car is a truck and beater magnet in parking lot?

08-17-2008, 11:52 PM   #1
TheWhiteStig
Tame Racing Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: 428i Sportline

My car is a truck and beater magnet in parking lot?

Where would you park in a parking lot if you want to avoid getting door ding?
I always park at the far end of a parking lot, but 90% of the time I come out from shopping I see big trucks or old beaters parked beside me (most of the time, very close to me). It's not like there's no other parking space, they just want to park beside me! Touch wood, I don't have any dent/ding yet. I know it'll eventually, but I'd do whatever I can to avoid that.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2008, 11:58 PM   #2
bsamoul
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

People see your car by itself and think that you're better than them and will park their car there by spite. A better place would be to park it about 4 stalls away from other cars because then it looks like there were other cars around it that just moved, not you going out of your way to put it alone. The body shop told me that.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 12:00 AM   #3
simp0man
Not looking 2 SPEED, just looking GOOD
Cambodia
Rep
Drives: 07 328i

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
I always park at the edge so I could park farther to the edge allowing the other side enough room to open there doors so they wont hit mines.
      08-18-2008, 12:01 AM   #4
r3volution
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i

Garage List
2008 328xi  [0.00]
I look for nicer cars, and park beside them. If someone is out to key some cars, they're probably going to go for the most expensive one.

I also try to park next to vans. 2 of their 4 doors are sliding, and usually owned my parents (more mature crowd).
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 12:21 AM   #5
kefler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5m / Alpine White

My friends and I look for what we call "island parking"... basically try to park where one side is one of those curbs/dividers so nobody is on that side. You can find those and not be the furthest out so you don't stick out so bad too. Most importantly you can position yourself really close to the curb on that side to get more space.

If you have a choice, its best to put your passenger side adjacent to the island because the guy on the other side will have his driver side away from you. There's a chance (50%?) that whoever parks next to you will not have a passenger in which case no door even opens next to your car.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 12:55 AM   #6
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep
Drives: Audi RS Q8

Garage List
I take my truck shopping and park next to bimmers just to scare y'all.

No, no, I kid. I hate trying to fit my truck into parking spots. I take the Mini - that thing can fit anywhere.
      08-18-2008, 06:27 AM   #7
emarkd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kefler View Post
My friends and I look for what we call "island parking"... basically try to park where one side is one of those curbs/dividers so nobody is on that side. You can find those and not be the furthest out so you don't stick out so bad too. Most importantly you can position yourself really close to the curb on that side to get more space.

If you have a choice, its best to put your passenger side adjacent to the island because the guy on the other side will have his driver side away from you. There's a chance (50%?) that whoever parks next to you will not have a passenger in which case no door even opens next to your car.
+1 This is always what I do. Assuming you can keep from curbing your rims, you can nudge up VERY close to the island and have lots of room between you and the next car. That way even if there is a passenger, they've got lots of room to get out.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 07:16 AM   #8
exo-ak-dk
Black Magic Wheels - BMW
Denmark
Rep
Drives: E90

i have on big dent on my door ......hate it!!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 10:33 AM   #9
2thdr
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 Macan GTS/'18 GT3/''21 X5M

This is difficult. When I ha my e46 M3, I used to always park far away and was generally ok. In situations where I could not, I used to look for other German cars to park beside, or minivans, since my theory was that there were sliding doors which could not impact my vehicle.

While I think that the idea of parking beside an island on the passenger side is a great one, casual observation in parking lots, at least to me, showed that the biggest problem with door dings occurred with people who actually had too much room and misjudged the available room when they just let their doors swing wide open.

Undoubtedly, I think this is one of the biggest PITAs of owning a nice car. I switched to an e70 X5 last year, and it has been so much easier since big doors only hit my running boards now. I have been carefree. But, as I get ready to trade in for the e92 M3, I am once again starting to feel the (welcome/fortunate - ?) twinges of paranoia of having M3 parking concerns.

The one thing that I always used to do, though, is that when I exited my car, I took pictures of the license plate of the cars on either side of me (if any) so that if there was noticeable ding, at least I may have a chance at knowing who did it, specially if any paint transfer occurred.

One of these days someone will invent a car alarm system with a hard drive in the trunk and small, motion-activated, fiber-optic lenses that can be mounted in the side-view mirrors and inside the vehicle.

Could someone get on that, please?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 11:00 AM   #10
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep
Drives: Audi RS Q8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2thdr View Post
One of these days someone will invent a car alarm system with a hard drive in the trunk and small, motion-activated, fiber-optic lenses that can be mounted in the side-view mirrors and inside the vehicle.

Could someone get on that, please?
That would be almost worthless since those cameras would not be able to capture the license plate of the car that dinged you. Plus, I'm sure cops have better things to do than chase down serial car door swingers. Unfortunately, car dings are just one of the unfortunate consequences of living in densely populated urban areas.

My last two new cars (they were both Honda's, but I loved them very much) have averaged a grand total of one day in service before getting dinged. My wife's Mini; however, has been ding free for the three months we've owned it. The lesson here: size matters.
      08-18-2008, 12:46 PM   #11
Christos
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 Z4 s3.0 Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK1 View Post
Where would you park in a parking lot if you want to avoid getting door ding?
I always park at the far end of a parking lot, but 90% of the time I come out from shopping I see big trucks or old beaters parked beside me (most of the time, very close to me). It's not like there's no other parking space, they just want to park beside me! Touch wood, I don't have any dent/ding yet. I know it'll eventually, but I'd do whatever I can to avoid that.

Every time I park away from others, someone has to park next to me. It’s really unbelievable; someone should follow me around with a camera just to prove it.

I drove to a store with my cousin one day, recently. The store was not open yet and had about 5 cars in the parking lot. I parked pretty far away with many, many open spots all around me. An older man pulls up in this old pickup and parks right smack next to me, so close that he could not even get out, he tried to and I yelled at him to stop and that I would move. My cousin couldn’t believe it, I felt like I was on candid camera and people were watching me get mad.

And, I always pick an end parking spot and hug the curb to give ample room for a car door next to me to open without hitting my door. Well wouldn’t you know it, EVERY time I do this, some jerk thinks I am giving him more space to park and the jerk actually parks over the line and closer to me. I give up
      08-18-2008, 01:02 PM   #12
Gig103
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Tesla P85D

What do you expect from our society of assholes and self-righteous pricks? They see you parked away from everyone else and think it's funny to park near you because they know it will piss you off.

Most people don't care about their cars, and they ruin it for those of us who do. I don't even take my car to a car wash to avoid swirls, yet someone managed to scrape along my car in a parking spot. I have to post pictures later, but I wanted to clean the area first so that someone can chime in if it can be polished out...
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 01:03 PM   #13
windshear
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe, 6MT

When not driving my 335i coupe, I drive my trusty tacoma. Nine years old with zero door dings. Usually park it away near nicer cars. Its in better condition than most newer luxury cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 01:32 PM   #14
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

+1 on the "island parking" approach.

I also try to look for a parking spot between 2 concrete posts (one on either side of the car), or a large parallel parking spot in a parking garage

OP people are trying to spite you for sure. Sucks that you live in that kind of area. Try the "island parking" method since it is less obvious you care about your car
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 01:55 PM   #15
quest556
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 535i x-Drive

+2 on the "island parking" approach. I do that too when possible.
I feel your pain tho, other night, a trip to Best Buy, I parked at the far end of the deserted lot and came out to find some jacka$# had parked so close to me with his passenger side that I has to struggle to get in my car. No ding or otherwise but it was clearly deliberate spite. wtf?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 02:13 PM   #16
Turbomatic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, 335xic, Rav4

Most of the door dings happen from being in tight parking lots where the spaces are close and large turnover of cars (ie shopping centers and movie theaters). I park away from SUV and two door cars. Two door cars need alot of space for their doors. In the SUV case the tip of their door's lower edge tend to hit the middle of our car doors, and even a light tap could ding the car's door.

When I park my car I prefer to park next to nice cars. I figure the owners would not want to chip their door edge on my car and thus saving me a door ding in the process. Problem is if they leave and joe blow comes in with his SUV full of screaming kids.

Ultimately you have no control over this stuff. You could be the most careful person in the world and one bad luck day could result in scraps and dings on the car. I got a ding on my car from a rock on the highway..what can you do?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 02:24 PM   #17
StoneCold
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 2008 328i Coupe, Pro 02/08

I would walk a bit longer by parking father out in the parking lot. If there is a situation in downtown area, then I do not have a choice.........
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 02:26 PM   #18
lipek
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
are we talking about parking???

[B]Electric Red/Black leather,aluminum, 6MT, sport package, 19" Beyer Multi Staggered Chrome rims/w BF Goodrich - g-Force T/A KDW (New Tread),debadged, fujita intake,muffler delete,rouge eng ssk,3000w alpine 12" sub/w 1000w alpine digital amp,smoked led tail lights.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 05:46 PM   #19
Dan73
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: ↑ Not that ↑

They should just paint the lines wider.
      08-18-2008, 05:54 PM   #20
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2thdr View Post
Aim high; someone needs to invent a car force field!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 06:06 PM   #21
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 325i

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
it's the luck of the draw in my opinion. no matter where you park there will always be a time when another car is parked close to you, increasing the chances of a door ding. You just have to cross your fingers that people will be considerate enough to be careful when getting in and out of the car. Whenever you park your car just give a little prayer and pray to whoever you believe in and ask him/her/it to protect your expensive depreciating asset.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 09:12 PM   #22
Cactus
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 2.8i

Quote:
Originally Posted by windshear View Post
When not driving my 335i coupe, I drive my trusty tacoma. Nine years old with zero door dings. Usually park it away near nicer cars. Its in better condition than most newer luxury cars.
Same here! I drive my 14 y.o. Ford F150. It also has zero door dings due to my parking carefully. So if you see my truck parked next to your BMW it's because I value my truck as well as my 328.
Appreciate 0