BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-18-2008, 04:33 PM   #1
jaiman
Captain
Rep
Drives: very fast

Removing Residue from Windshield

My car was in the body shop to be repainted after a cab drove into me. When I picked it up from the body shop there was a weird residue on the windshield and a bit on the trunk. It feels kind of rough and is mostly see though. I've left a message for them to find out what it is and how to remove it but I was hoping someone here might be able to tell me what it could be and how to remove it. Its a pain in the ass to drop the car off fo rthem to do it as they open after i go in to work and close before I'm done.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 04:44 PM   #2
GT3 Tim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MB E63S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiman View Post
My car was in the body shop to be repainted after a cab drove into me. When I picked it up from the body shop there was a weird residue on the windshield and a bit on the trunk. It feels kind of rough and is mostly see though. I've left a message for them to find out what it is and how to remove it but I was hoping someone here might be able to tell me what it could be and how to remove it. Its a pain in the ass to drop the car off fo rthem to do it as they open after i go in to work and close before I'm done.
Sounds like a bit of overspray.

For the glass, you can buy a water spot remover from any hardware store, home depot, etc.. Some are liquids and are similar in consistency to "soft scrub". Some are powders that you use on a wet cloth. I found they both work great....I think something like this is your best bet, but do NOT use it on any painted surface, it will scratch the clear coat! Keep it on the glass and it will look brand new. It will require a bit of elbow grease though!

For the trunk, I would wash first, then clay bar, then wax. The clay bar will take out the overspray and any other contaminants. Claybars can leave slight scratches in the clearcoat, so you may have to go to a swirl remover compound before your final wax.

You could also just try a swirl remover first to see if it will remove the overspray...then wax. Depends how bad it is.
2008 E90 M3 -- Sold
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 09:33 PM   #3
jaiman
Captain
Rep
Drives: very fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3 Tim View Post
Sounds like a bit of overspray.

For the glass, you can buy a water spot remover from any hardware store, home depot, etc.. Some are liquids and are similar in consistency to "soft scrub". Some are powders that you use on a wet cloth. I found they both work great....I think something like this is your best bet, but do NOT use it on any painted surface, it will scratch the clear coat! Keep it on the glass and it will look brand new. It will require a bit of elbow grease though!

For the trunk, I would wash first, then clay bar, then wax. The clay bar will take out the overspray and any other contaminants. Claybars can leave slight scratches in the clearcoat, so you may have to go to a swirl remover compound before your final wax.

You could also just try a swirl remover first to see if it will remove the overspray...then wax. Depends how bad it is.

I'll give that a try, thanks for the tips.

It seems odd to me that they would have got the spray where they did. the cab damaged the passenger side doors and the residue is on the driver side of the windshield and trunk
Appreciate 0