F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Cheap tune opinions/downsides of installs
proTUNING Freaks

09-08-2019, 05:13 PM   #1
bobiam
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral White 2015 335xi

Cheap tune opinions/downsides of installs

I'm interested in learning about the use of a tuning product as cheap ($200) and easy as Burger Tuning (BMS) F Series JB+ Quick Install Tuner for my N55. I'm really no looking for a major power gain but just a little edge over what the car has already (stock). I was thinking about MPPK but I'm not willing to pay the price or have to use the dealer for an install.
I can't help thinking that for that price it will have more downsides than advantages.
What's you experience with this product?
Also, it's upgradable within a year, so if it's really not enough I could go that route.
      09-08-2019, 05:34 PM   #2
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

You really only have something like a JB+ at that price point. I'd wring out the piggyback to get $600, and do the Bootmod3. Turns the car into a demon, and worth every penny. Install is stupid simple if you have the OBDII to ethernet cord (cheap) and a laptop.

Took me 1/2 hour from order to install on a Sunday.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 07:40 PM   #3
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobiam View Post
I'm interested in learning about the use of a tuning product as cheap ($200) and easy as Burger Tuning (BMS) F Series JB+ Quick Install Tuner for my N55. I'm really no looking for a major power gain but just a little edge over what the car has already (stock). I was thinking about MPPK but I'm not willing to pay the price or have to use the dealer for an install.
I can't help thinking that for that price it will have more downsides than advantages.
Also, it's upgradable within a year, so if it's really not enough I could go that route.
I actually followed the same strategy that you are suggesting. Burger makes good products so I bought one of their tunes to get my feet wet. I was able to experiment without endangering anything before I decided how much of a commitment I wanted to make to expensive Stage2 hardware mods like intercooler and downpipe, and then a more expensive tune.

I have a 2015 335ix. The car had a MPPK tune installed when I bought it used. I considered the JB+, but after doing more research I went up a level and bought the JB Stage1. They both connect to the TMAP sensor that controls boost level. But the JB Stage1 also connects to the MAP sensor. The people I spoke with said that this MAP sensor connection also allows the JB Stage1 to control timing, so the engine runs smoother. It definitely performs as advertised!

I actually caught the mod fever and invested in Stage2 mods a lot earlier than I expected. I bought the JB Stage1 last year and did my testing before I deinstalled it, put it back in the box and lost track of it when I moved. I have about $400 into it since it was $379, plus I bought the serial cable needed to adjust the boost levels to be able to really experiment with it. I'd be willing to sell it for less. Feel free to private message me if you have more questions.

Note that this is the newest version of the Burger product that self senses and works on a large variety of BMW models that include N20, N55 and S55 engines. It has a huge market for potential resale if you ever decide later to invest in upgrading to a Stage2 hardware and tune.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 11:37 PM   #4
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320I

Quote:
The power gain with the JB+ is noticeable, albeit modest, but so is the impact on driveability, i.e. you will experience harsh jerking at low speeds and occasional hesitation. The driveability with the BMS Stage 1 is only slightly better.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 08:42 AM   #5
bobiam
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral White 2015 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by muniz_ri View Post
The power gain with the JB+ is noticeable, albeit modest, but so is the impact on driveability, i.e. you will experience harsh jerking at low speeds and occasional hesitation. The driveability with the BMS Stage 1 is only slightly better.

Discouraging, but what I wanted to know. Thanks....
      09-09-2019, 09:41 AM   #6
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by muniz_ri View Post

Discouraging, but what I wanted to know. Thanks....
I don't agree with that assessment of the JB Stage1 driveability. I purposefully got it because I had heard that issue about the JB+. I drove the BMW MPPK tune prior, and the JB Stage1 is significantly more powerful. Comparatively, the MPPK tune is a complete waste of money. Good luck in your research.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 09:50 AM   #7
EDWYER
Yoda of mods
Rep
Drives: X5 RWD

Garage List
2015 X5 RWD  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
I'm really no looking for a major power gain but just a little edge over what the car has already (stock).
Skip the Mppk. Sounds like the JB+ is just what you are looking for.
YT: https://www.youtube.com/@DWYERGARAGE/videos
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 03:42 PM   #8
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Cheap tune is just a money wasting gateway to a proper tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.