BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Screw(ed) in Run Flat

09-15-2019, 03:11 PM   #1
FishOuttaWater
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 X7 40i/'20 F-350/21 Jeep

Screw(ed) in Run Flat

So, last night we get the message to check the air pressure in the left front tire. It was down to 35 psi. I checked the tire this morning and sure enough, there is a screw in the tire. I called the BMW dealer and they want $527 out the door for the 22" Conti run flat, but it will probably be Tuesday before they can get it. I called a local tire store and they can get it in the same time frame but it is about $80 cheaper. I told the lady at BMW that I would rather deal with them but I was kind of confused by the difference in the price for the identical tires. She said that 1 year of road hazard was included in the price but she would check with the parts manager Monday AM to see if they could come down on the price. Anyone else have this experience?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 08:35 PM   #2
ppagiga
Major
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOuttaWater View Post
So, last night we get the message to check the air pressure in the left front tire. It was down to 35 psi. I checked the tire this morning and sure enough, there is a screw in the tire. I called the BMW dealer and they want $527 out the door for the 22" Conti run flat, but it will probably be Tuesday before they can get it. I called a local tire store and they can get it in the same time frame but it is about $80 cheaper. I told the lady at BMW that I would rather deal with them but I was kind of confused by the difference in the price for the identical tires. She said that 1 year of road hazard was included in the price but she would check with the parts manager Monday AM to see if they could come down on the price. Anyone else have this experience?
Pretty sure everyone here has paid more for a tire at the dealer than through a Tire Rack or Mavis. That being said, your dealer quote of 527 is right there with Tire Rack (for Pirellis)
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 07:57 AM   #3
lukehhhhh
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i | 2017 i3 BEV

Quote:
Depending on where the screw punctured the tyres, you may get it repaired for less than $30. Check with your local tyre store whether you tyre can be repaired.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 12:57 PM   #4
MB21
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M5.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukehhhhh View Post
Quote:
Depending on where the screw punctured the tyres, you may get it repaired for less than $30. Check with your local tyre store whether you tyre can be repaired.
I agree if this is screw most likely you get it fixed without any loss of performance. They simply remove screw and enter special ripper plug from inside so the air pressure keeps it in place. Let us know how it went
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 08:20 PM   #5
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
You should double check with the tire manufacturer to determine if a tire repair is even an option. Most tire manufactures do not allow/recommend run flat tires to be repaired compared to non-run flat tires. I am sure any tire shop could repair the tire as the repair process is the same, but any type of road hazard insurance may not be covered.

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 09:24 PM   #6
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

My wife's X3 got a screw in the tire (pirelli run flat) shortly after we got the car, BMW dealer wanted over $300 to replace the tire. I took it to a local tire shop, they patched it up for $25. They said as long as we haven't driven it with low or no pressure, then it can be repaired and won't reduce the tire's life or ability to run with no pressure. They said they have done this on thousands of run flat tires. It took them about an hour to patch it. They put a rubber plug in where the screw was then sanded it smooth on the inside and glued another layer of some material on the inside of the tire where the hole was.

We were able to put another 20k miles on the tire without any issues before the tread wore out.

So you may want to check to see if a local shop will patch it for you.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 11:58 PM   #7
xueju1121
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW iX M60

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
If I remember correctly from the manual, BMW does not recommend repair for RFT.
      09-19-2019, 07:45 AM   #8
sliu070
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 2019 G07

Quote:
I got a metal shard on the third day after picking up my X7 (22inch with RTF). My dealer was able to repair the tire instead of swapping it out. Cost only 50 bucks. Go in and see if they can do anything.
      09-19-2019, 08:22 AM   #9
FishOuttaWater
Private
United_States
Rep

It seems some folks have gotten theirs repaired and some have had to replace them. I am in the replacement camp since everyone I spoke with said they couldn't or wouldn't repair it. But, after the original quote of $527 I conveyed to them (BMW of Gainesville) that I could get the tire locally for about $80 less but I would rather have them do it since I had to come down there (I live in Jacksonville) for some recalls and warranty items anyway. They came through for me in a big way. The tire was $445.10. In the big picture $80 isn't going to affect me either way, but it's nice to get a "W" every now and then. As a side note, the tire only leaked about 4 psi from Sunday when I discovered the offending screw until Tuesday evening. I checked it and added a little air to it that night for the trip down the next morning.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 03:37 AM   #10
MB21
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenew3 View Post
My wife's X3 got a screw in the tire (pirelli run flat) shortly after we got the car, BMW dealer wanted over $300 to replace the tire. I took it to a local tire shop, they patched it up for $25. They said as long as we haven't driven it with low or no pressure, then it can be repaired and won't reduce the tire's life or ability to run with no pressure. They said they have done this on thousands of run flat tires. It took them about an hour to patch it. They put a rubber plug in where the screw was then sanded it smooth on the inside and glued another layer of some material on the inside of the tire where the hole was.

We were able to put another 20k miles on the tire without any issues before the tread wore out.

So you may want to check to see if a local shop will patch it for you.
I agree, the main point is, if you have run flat and drive on flat tire then it is gone, however if you only see screw and and it holds the air as it does in many cases as long as you do not drive on deflated tire it should be as reparable as any other tire.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2019, 03:40 AM   #11
MB21
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It seems some folks have gotten theirs repaired and some have had to replace them. I am in the replacement camp since everyone I spoke with said they couldn't or wouldn't repair it. But, after the original quote of $527 I conveyed to them (BMW of Gainesville) that I could get the tire locally for about $80 less but I would rather have them do it since I had to come down there (I live in Jacksonville) for some recalls and warranty items anyway. They came through for me in a big way. The tire was $445.10. In the big picture $80 isn't going to affect me either way, but it's nice to get a "W" every now and then. As a side note, the tire only leaked about 4 psi from Sunday when I discovered the offending screw until Tuesday evening. I checked it and added a little air to it that night for the trip down the next morning.
I think replacement was most likely not necessary as based of what you described most likely you have not compromised the sidewalls. BMW will say replace all for legal reason as every case is different and is hard to say in general when to replace as always will be exceptions, but the local tire shop can assess the tire and will recommend if it is indeed needed to be replaced.
Appreciate 1
      09-23-2019, 09:12 AM   #12
FishOuttaWater
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB21 View Post
I think replacement was most likely not necessary as based of what you described most likely you have not compromised the sidewalls. BMW will say replace all for legal reason as every case is different and is hard to say in general when to replace as always will be exceptions, but the local tire shop can assess the tire and will recommend if it is indeed needed to be replaced.
Thanks. That's good to know since I am sure that won't be the last one we get. We deal with contractors coming and going from our business and we pick up nails and screws from our parking lot constantly.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 10:40 AM   #13
sliu070
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 2019 G07

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB21 View Post
I dunno, my BMW dealer fixed the puncture for me. So it not always "replace"
      09-24-2019, 10:40 AM   #14
Roch M4
I /// M FAN
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4 SS/SO 2016 / X5M C 2023

Quote:
You can fix it for less than 10$ with a puncture repair kit as long as the puncture is not located on the side wall of the tire

Attached Images

Appreciate 0