E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Quick question re alarm

04-03-2006, 06:04 AM   #1
bk8
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 325i M-Sport

Quick question re alarm

Well I picked the car up yesterday. Have to say it was in really immaculate condition. Despite my best efforts and going over every inch I couldn't find a thing wrong with it. Only thing not quite right was I ordered it with smokers pack deletion but it wasn't but no big deal. Guess I will have to post the obligatory "Got my new ride yippeee" pictures soon!

One question. I have the alarm as standard. I also have CA. I noticed when locking/unlocking there is only the visible light flashing but no audible confirmation. Am I right in expecting some kind of beeping?

I did read on here the alarm might need to be activated but I don't really see why if it came as standard.

Also what's the best way to test if the alarm is actually working? Sit in the car and have someone else lock it?
      04-03-2006, 06:11 AM   #2
Broken1
Addict
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i M-Sport

The audible chirp is an american thing. The cars that come with standard alarms do not have that feature activated. You can take it to the dealer and ask them to activate it as a dealer setting. My dealer could not get it to work on my car last year - but I will ask them again when it goes in for a service.

Your alarm WORKS and doesn't need to be activated.

The best way to test the alarm is to lock the car, and then open it with the "emergency key" (Give it about 30-60 seconds after locking) or alternatively get someone to sit in the car and lock it - then they need to move their arms around quite a bit to get the alarm to go off.

Remember, if the car was running - and then stopped and you try locking the car before opening the drivers door - the car knows you are still inside and won't activate the alarm/deadlocking mechanism.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2006, 12:10 PM   #3
bk8
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 325i M-Sport

Thanks I'll test it when I got some time.

I touch the handle to lock the car. Watching the door lock move are the visual and acoustic cues I use but I can't really see the lights flash because I'm too close to the car. Would be nice to have a chirp too so that's one for the dealer to sort out later on.
      04-03-2006, 12:16 PM   #4
Josh49
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

Best test is to hold the trunk open button on the fob and hear the alarm...

I'm assuming this works only if you have the alarm system because stock the siren isn't in the car.

I found this out the hard way in the dealership when trying to open the trunk for the first time. I held the button too long..

Josh

E90 325XI, MYSTIC BLUE ON BLACK/ALUM, STEP, NAV, PDC, CWP, XENON, SIRIUS, ALARM, MUD GUARDS, CLEARBRA, CHROME GRILLS AND TIPS, VALENTINE 1 (HARDWIRED), HO CERAMIC 40%, 161'S, REAR FOG MOD, LUX 4.0, BLACKLINES, OEM PEDALS, MTEC FOGS, GRUPPE-M REP INTAKE. 156'S AND RUBBER MATS FOR THE WINTER.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2006, 01:07 PM   #5
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken1
The audible chirp is an american thing. The cars that come with standard alarms do not have that feature activated.
My car chirps

Well actually its the Netstar Tracking.
It activates when I lock the car, making a chirp through its siren
      04-03-2006, 01:20 PM   #6
zamboni
I want to drive a Zamboni
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 E93 M3 18 F80 M3 16 K71

Garage List
16 K71 F800GT  [10.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 BMW E93 M3  [10.00]
On the Idrive there is an option you can turn off the audible chirp if you wish.
Appreciate 0