BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-30-2019, 08:56 AM   #1
Cometgrl
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW x3

Snow tires

My X3 is being delivered this week. I live in Minnesota. I got the 19” all season run flat tires. I plan on getting snow tires next year but since the tires are new my husband wants to use the all seasons for this year. Who has used the standard all seasons in the snow? Also when I do get the snow tires, is it really that much better to get 18 instead of 19?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 07:47 PM   #2
PGI007
Rep
Drives: 2019 X4 30i, 2018 Audi Q5

I used the BMW AS RFTs on my X1...for one winter. I think they are too stiff to be safe in snow and slush. I just got dedicated winter wheels and non-RFTs in 18" for my new X4 which also came with the 19" AS. The main reason I went with 18" was availability of the tires I wanted and cost (smaller is cheaper). Either is fine but I wouldn't risk it with the AS tires here in Ontario at least.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 08:15 PM   #3
Cometgrl
Private
Rep

Can you switch between 18 and 19 without issues?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 08:23 PM   #4
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Your husband is working from a flawed premise. It is not a matter of being "new". The issue is tire compound chemistry and tread. All season tires might get you going in the snow, which is convenient. However, they are inherently...from the day the tire pops out of the mold...far less capable at stopping and turning to save you and your vehicle from harm. Even the most cautious driver may one day find someone else has lost control and slid into their path. Your priority will be to turn and stop as safely as possible. Suggest finding some Michelin XIce xi3 or Blizzak WS90 tires for your winter use.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 09:54 AM   #5
pritchd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
In Minnesota, where you really have serious winters, I'd definitely go for dedicated snow set up and not rely on the AS tires.

In my location, since we only few a few snow days each winter which melts in a day or two, and since I'm retired and have the luxury of not needing to drive to work, etc. when it snows, I'm planning on using the AS's this year.
      10-01-2019, 03:48 PM   #6
Tchgrif
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i

if you drive in frequent snow and ice you need snow tires, full stop. no all seasons are not just as good yet better than sport summer tires which are worse than useless in the snow. my normal tires are 21" my snow tires are 20" in the tire menu in the settings there is an option for snow tires, you simply change them over and select the winter tires in the Idrive menu. then switch them back in the spring and reset the Idrive menu back to all seasons. the only real issues are to make y=sure you get BMW Tire Pressure sensors installed in your new rims with the winter tires. A reputable company like The Tire Rack, as an example can help you with all of this. one accident on the wrong tires is not worth the cost difference. you should be able to find suitable winter tires rims and sensors for less than 2k. when you live in places like you and I do where the winters are snowy and icy you really should only buy a new car if you can afford the right winter tires for it at the same time. you could keep your current rims and pay a tire shop to change them over for about 1100.00
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 07:54 PM   #7
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

Or my by winter set listed in the classifieds.

I did ok with Stock A/S on 19" wheels with the x3 m40i.

When I got the g02 x4. I decided to full winter tire. Big difference
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 09:33 PM   #8
PGI007
Rep
Drives: 2019 X4 30i, 2018 Audi Q5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cometgrl View Post
BMW offer the 18" winter option for cars with standard 19" wheels so yes. Usually you get a tire with a little higher sidewall so the overall wheel circumference is consistent. For my Q5, Audi actually recommended going from 19" to 17" for winters.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 09:52 PM   #9
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep

Do you have the msport brakes?

There are some 18" aftermarket wheels that will clear the msport brakes.

Otherwise 19" is safe.

If you read through the winter tire threads. No one ever tried the 18" bmw winter set on m sport brakes.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 09:52 PM   #10
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGI007 View Post
Quote:
BMW offer the 18" winter option for cars with standard 19" wheels so yes. Usually you get a tire with a little higher sidewall so the overall wheel circumference is consistent. For my Q5, Audi actually recommended going from 19" to 17" for winters.
See my post below.

I've had both m40i and 30i with msport brakes.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 06:27 AM   #11
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
In NY we get "some snow" the all season tires do OK in snow.
But if I lived in Minnesota, I would definitely have snow tires.
The all wheel drive works good depending on your tires, and weather conditions.

Dont depend on all wheel drive system when you have performance tires (summer) and drive thru snow conditions.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 12:40 PM   #12
VMMVMMM
Private First Class
Rep

I've used all season tires in the snow on performance and non performance cars for years in the Salt Lake City area and they have been fine. Yes, winter tires are going to be a bit better in the cold, but I've never felt like I've been unsafe or out of control with my tires. The laws of physics apply to winter tires as well, and if you are on ice, you are going to slide unless you are driving with crampons on your tires.

Summer tires are a death wish in the winter. Winter tires are your safest and best performing option. All seasons are a great alternative that lower the performance at the limits, but as long as you are aware of that, you will be just fine.
      10-02-2019, 03:28 PM   #13
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMMVMMM View Post
...but I've never felt like I've been unsafe or out of control with my tires. The laws of physics apply to winter tires as well, and if you are on ice, you are going to slide unless you are driving with crampons on your tires... All seasons are a great alternative that lower the performance at the limits, but as long as you are aware of that, you will be just fine.
You really don't see a significant difference in what this video demonstrates? No crampons...over 20 feet of braking distance difference...not even close to driving "at the limits".

https://www.tirerack.com/videos/inde...593&tab=Winter

BTW, OP, the all seasons shown here are "new".
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 04:54 PM   #14
Eulenspiegel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i; 1994 E34 530i

I had the impression that it's really temperature rather than snow that gives winter tires their big advantage over all-seasons. Is that largely correct? At what temperature do all-seasons fall far short of winter tires? Thanks.
1999 E39 540i
2011 F25 X3 XDrive35i
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 05:05 PM   #15
Cometgrl
Private
Rep

Thanks for the input. I know that winter is of course going to be better. I will get them for when I really need them but does anyone have experience with the stock tires in the snow? I think they are going to be the dueler run flats. I really wish you didn’t lose trunk space with the spare! My last car was absolutely terrible and I think the tire choices are going to be similar for this one. There will be times when I have to drive the all seasons through snow. You never know when it’s going to snow here and it might me too late or early temperature wise to have winters on yet.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 05:21 PM   #16
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
... but does anyone have experience with the stock tires in the snow?
Here is the simple analysis. A vehicle has three functions, go, turn, stop. For "go", the best all seasons can be reasonably reliable to get your vehicle moving in winter conditions. However, OEM tires, such as your RFTs are a harder compound than aftermarket versions, designed as such to assist BMW with achieving higher EPA mileage ratings. This characteristic works against you to some degree. If you are on flat surfaces, you should be ok to get moving.

For "turn" and "stop", depending on what situation you find yourself (and who ever can predict?), you may be OK with very conservative driving. Any unexpected/sudden maneuvers that weren't planned many yards in advance may not be successfully accomplished.
Appreciate 1
jimnov6.00
      10-03-2019, 06:51 AM   #17
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
its about having control of your vehicle if you need to stop or turn. tire traction on winter tire is superior compare to all season tire. when temp hit below 40s, time for winter tires.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 02:46 PM   #18
VMMVMMM
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
You really don't see a significant difference in what this video demonstrates? No crampons...over 20 feet of braking distance difference...not even close to driving "at the limits".

https://www.tirerack.com/videos/inde...593&tab=Winter

BTW, OP, the all seasons shown here are "new".
...on an ice rink.

Even in Northern Utah with all the snow we receive, it is extremely rare to be driving on something as slick as an ice rink. If I am, I'm taking it extremely carefully.

There is a difference, for sure, but for me, the pain of swapping out the tires twice a year is not worth it for the few times a year I'm in a situation where stopping a few feet earlier *might* make a difference. I understand you can't anticipate every situation, and that's a risk I'm taking, but it's a calculated risk backed up by years of experience driving in snowy conditions. So far I've been ok, but that could change. I suppose I lean on my insurance for those situations at the moment, which is fine by me.
      10-06-2019, 04:14 PM   #19
popopine
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Blk x3 m40eye

NOKIAN HAKKAPELIITTA R3 SUV: these are the best no-stud snow tire.
Appreciate 0