E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY - Swapping Steering Wheel Button Functions

08-23-2008, 01:47 PM   #1
kentgbr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i Sedan

DIY - Swapping Steering Wheel Button Functions

It's possible to reverse the steering wheel audio/phone/control button functions with a simple swapping of two connector pins. I preferred my old e46 setup which had channel/track and volume buttons on the left and right respectively, opposite to my E90. Obviously this is personal preference modification and the button symbols will no longer match. It takes about 15 mins to complete, 5 mins if you are familiar with releasing the airbag and disassembling small connectors.

Tools:
1) 10mm socket and wrench for battery terminal.
2) small long-shaft flathead screwdriver for airbag release.
3) small metal tab for connector pin release, I cut a section of steel from an old feeler gauge that was L=0.5"xW=0.050"xT=0.020" and used vice grips to hold it. Without this tab or something like it you will never get the pins released. Have this ready in advance or the job will grind to a halt.

Step 1: Use a 10mm socket to remove the neg battery terminal.
This is a required safety precaution and will prevent a persistent airbag warning light that needs a dealer reset.

Step 2: Use a screwdriver to release the airbag from the center of the wheel, refer to steering wheel DIY's for this step.

Step 3: Move the airbag aside and secure it by placing it between the upper column and wheel rim. Use a tie wrap or string if needed.

Step 4: Pull firmly to unplug the black connector with all black wires on the right hand side of the column (not the one on the left which connects to the airbag).

Step 5: Examine the connector and unclip the small 1/4 wide connector cover near the female end. Release pins 1 and 2 from the connector, this is a two-step process per pin, first insert a small metal tab into the hole above the female pin (non-wire side) and pull. The pin will slide back and expose the release clip in the area where the cover was removed. Press the clips to remove the pins.

Step 6: Insert the pin 1 wire the connector pin 2 location and vice-versa.

Step 7: Plug the connector back in, press the airbag back on, reconnect the battery, and reset the clock.

Disclaimer: My car is an '08 steptronic w/paddle shifters. I doubt that non-paddle or stick shift cars would use a different connector pinout for the wheel buttons but cannot be sure. It's easy to check with a DMM if necessary. Please be careful with the airbag.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2008, 04:57 PM   #2
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep
Drives: 三三五i

Garage List
Sweet. I'm wondering if there's some way I can figure out where the "recirculation" wires go and intercept it to use as a mute button for my V1. Would really like to use that button for that instead of the useless recirc toggle...
      08-23-2008, 06:15 PM   #3
kentgbr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowbow View Post
Sweet. I'm wondering if there's some way I can figure out where the "recirculation" wires go and intercept it to use as a mute button for my V1. Would really like to use that button for that instead of the useless recirc toggle...
That would be nice but it's not doable at the wheel buttons themselves. All four functions on each switch module are brought out through one wire and pin. Pressing invidividual buttons sets a specific voltage on this pin. This voltage is then interpreted and the switching of the required function is performed elsewhere in the electrical system.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2008, 03:40 AM   #4
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep
Drives: 三三五i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentgbr View Post
That would be nice but it's not doable at the wheel buttons themselves. All four functions on each switch module are brought out through one wire and pin. Pressing invidividual buttons sets a specific voltage on this pin. This voltage is then interpreted and the switching of the required function is performed elsewhere in the electrical system.
Alrighty, that seals the deal... I won't be doing it.