Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK M340i test drive

10-21-2019, 03:28 PM   #1
FSE23
Major
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG 2019

M340i test drive

I had a pleasure to take M340i on an extended test drive yesterday.
I was initially pleased with changes of a new BMW comparing to my old F30. I currently drive C43 AMG so there is something to compare.
Nice interior, which I had to familiarise myself with as it is quite different from Merc and different than F30. Materials are of much better quality than before, digital dashboard looked attractive but.
First annoying thing thing is a gearbox lever- maybe it is ok for the left hand car but in the right hand drive once you want to change to sport mode you constantly press the button on the left side of the lever. It probably won’t do anything while you drive but it is annoying. traction is fenomenal. I tried a lot to lose it ( traction control on) but failed. The car drives as an old good BMW I’d say. Power delivery fantastic however I did not feel that drama of acceleration as I can feel in Merc. Exhaust loud enough I suppose but polite opposite to C43 ( whenI want it to be loud). etc. Suspension better than f30 not much body roll on roundabouts and not that firm as in Merc. The other thing is how to change suspension setting - i have one button to go over setting in Merc, BMW need to get into menu etc etc- useless. There are other bits and pieces which makes my decision quite difficult ( digital dashboard too busy, I suppose I would need to get use to it).
I was keen to buy M340i but it lacks something. It is a polite but fast car, does not have that brutality, aggressiveness, joy of ride. Good all arounder. Is it good enough to buy it?

2007 E92 335i BS ultimate drive
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 12:57 AM   #2
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Sounds like they're leaving room for the proper Mcar version.

Surely there is a sport mode accessed with one button that deals with the suspension?
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 04:30 PM   #3
FSE23
Major
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG 2019

Yes it is but unlike Merc you cannot get a separate setup for suspension in let’s say comfort mode just for a couple of minutes when you want it and then return to comfort setup etc. I also did not notice a lot of difference between different modes. In Merc there is a very easy noticeable difference in absolutely everything between modes.
Don’t get me wrong. It is a wonderful car but....it did not knock me off my feet the way the old E92 335i did at the time.

2007 E92 335i BS ultimate drive
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 05:25 PM   #4
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSE23 View Post
I had a pleasure to take M340i on an extended test drive yesterday.
I was initially pleased with changes of a new BMW comparing to my old F30. I currently drive C43 AMG so there is something to compare.
Nice interior, which I had to familiarise myself with as it is quite different from Merc and different than F30. Materials are of much better quality than before, digital dashboard looked attractive but.
First annoying thing thing is a gearbox lever- maybe it is ok for the left hand car but in the right hand drive once you want to change to sport mode you constantly press the button on the left side of the lever. It probably won’t do anything while you drive but it is annoying. traction is fenomenal. I tried a lot to lose it ( traction control on) but failed. The car drives as an old good BMW I’d say. Power delivery fantastic however I did not feel that drama of acceleration as I can feel in Merc. Exhaust loud enough I suppose but polite opposite to C43 ( whenI want it to be loud). etc. Suspension better than f30 not much body roll on roundabouts and not that firm as in Merc. The other thing is how to change suspension setting - i have one button to go over setting in Merc, BMW need to get into menu etc etc- useless. There are other bits and pieces which makes my decision quite difficult ( digital dashboard too busy, I suppose I would need to get use to it).
I was keen to buy M340i but it lacks something. It is a polite but fast car, does not have that brutality, aggressiveness, joy of ride. Good all arounder. Is it good enough to buy it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSE23 View Post
Yes it is but unlike Merc you cannot get a separate setup for suspension in let’s say comfort mode just for a couple of minutes when you want it and then return to comfort setup etc. I also did not notice a lot of difference between different modes. In Merc there is a very easy noticeable difference in absolutely everything between modes.
Don’t get me wrong. It is a wonderful car but....it did not knock me off my feet the way the old E92 335i did at the time.
Everything you've mentioned is also mentioned here with regards the drive:

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2019, 10:41 AM   #5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Nice review thanks.
From a petrol head point of view I am drawn to the c43 due to it seemingly being more of an AMG than the m340i is to an m3.
However The looks just dont do it for more nor the interior. They are nicer since the update and bmw is seemingly doing it's best to put people off but I prefer it still and actually really like the rear of the new 3.

Think that will doubtless clinch it for me will be cost assuming I'm still in a position to get an m340 touring next year. Will get my broker to run the monthlies on both but the merc would have to be cheaper per month for it to sway me over the bmw which is unlikely. S4 ruled its self out by going derv no matter how fast or good a diesel it may be.
Appreciate 0