Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Some of Driving Assistand functions temporarily disabled

10-25-2019, 07:54 AM   #1
snusnu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e (g20)

Some of Driving Assistand functions temporarily disabled

I just getting this info, stating that "radar" might be blocked, but I cannot find anything on it...

it is very wet/raining, could this be the cause?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 09:13 AM   #2
Sussex_G20
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Happened to me a few weeks back around dawn in the pouring rain on the way to the airport. Was fine again when I got back.
A similar event happened last week too when getting into the car having been sitting and misting up inside, again cleared this time after a few minutes.

Last edited by Sussex_G20; 10-25-2019 at 11:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 09:16 AM   #3
KMoore
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 320i M Sport

Did have an issue a couple of weeks ago when it was absolutely howling it down and spray on the motorway when I had a similar notification.

Once the car had been shut down and restarted , the issue seemed to have rectified itself so I just put it down to the weather.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 11:53 AM   #4
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport+

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMoore View Post
Did have an issue a couple of weeks ago when it was absolutely howling it down and spray on the motorway when I had a similar notification.

Once the car had been shut down and restarted , the issue seemed to have rectified itself so I just put it down to the weather.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMoore View Post

Interesting, I've had the same, both my screens went black for a few seconds and the error popped up on the central screen.

I thought the car was having a reboot as it just suddenly started slowing down!? The weather was bad but I was in worse at other times without issues (although switched off the lane guidance as it kept enabling/disabling itself when it couldn't see the road markings). Fair enough, it was torrential rain.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 03:35 PM   #5
Jebk
Private
Rep
Drives: G20 330e

Mines still on order, but most forward radar systems will switch themselves off in the type of rain we've been having the last few days. My stelvio did it, as did the c class and the qashqai I'm currently in.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 05:10 PM   #6
Jkwon
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebk View Post
Mines still on order, but most forward radar systems will switch themselves off in the type of rain we've been having the last few days. My stelvio did it, as did the c class and the qashqai I'm currently in.
As said here, my Qashqai told me on Monday that it was not working, this was because of the severe rain
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 10:28 AM   #7
JohnBarny
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 420d + G21 330i

It’s strange my 4 series has only once had issue with severe rain, the only time it normally has issues is in snow. New one must be more sensitive.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 01:24 PM   #8
snusnu
Private First Class
Rep

But then it is really useless... I cannot use adaptive cruise control, T junction warning etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 09:53 AM   #9
snusnu
Private First Class
Rep

So it happened today as well. Difference - it is sunny, not a single cloud, and dry.

So went to check the front radar, and saw this:

Could it be that the bottom part of the platew with arval's info is actually causing this?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 10:33 AM   #10
hamera
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport (G20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snusnu View Post
So it happened today as well. Difference - it is sunny, not a single cloud, and dry.

Could it be that the bottom part of the platew with arval's info is actually causing this?

I think there is a big chance this is exactly what is causing the problem. The whole plate is too low in my opinion. Even without sensor problems It just doesn't look good.
Bottom of my plate is level with the red line.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 11:55 AM   #11
KMoore
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 320i M Sport

It does look low!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 02:07 AM   #12
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep

]

I think there is a big chance this is exactly what is causing the problem. The whole plate is too low in my opinion. Even without sensor problems It just doesn't look good.
Bottom of my plate is level with the red line.[/QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamera View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by snusnu View Post

[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]

Bottom of my plate is level with the red line.
Yeah, the muppets have put the plate on too low, mine is a few cms higher up.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 09:04 AM   #13
snusnu
Private First Class
Rep

ok - here's the update
it was the licence plate fixed too low, indeed.

it was actually done not by Sytner, but by Arval (initial fitting) at least I was told like that.

new, smaller plate was fitted, and was placed slightly higher.

Now everything works like a charm!
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 09:12 AM   #14
Tam the Bam
Grumpy Old Git
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i RWD M Sport

Garage List
Glad you got it fixed..... must have been a Friday job putting on that number plate.... silly mistake.

F10 520D M Sport
E60 520D SE
Volvo S60 type R
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 09:38 AM   #15
snusnu
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam the Bam View Post
Glad you got it fixed..... must have been a Friday job putting on that number plate.... silly mistake.
could be. anyhow - the drivers assistant function (with self driving.. lmao) is awesome
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 11:41 AM   #16
Deyvy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 M340

Been a while since I've been in these forums. Sold my F30 330D 2 years ago for a Golf R, contemplating going back to the 3er now.

Anyway, I had the radar on my F30, loved it. I had the same issues with it (rarely) like some of you in the rain or snow. For the price of the option it seems a little bit unreliable. In the golf, it comes as standard and I've never had issues with it.

Now with self driving its probably capable of doing a lot more, but the one in my golf and my old f30 for active cruise control, its not great value for the 3er relative. Auto cruise control is a must have now for me.
      10-31-2019, 04:15 PM   #17
tricky6
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deyvy View Post
Been a while since I've been in these forums. Sold my F30 330D 2 years ago for a Golf R, contemplating going back to the 3er now.

Anyway, I had the radar on my F30, loved it. I had the same issues with it (rarely) like some of you in the rain or snow. For the price of the option it seems a little bit unreliable. In the golf, it comes as standard and I've never had issues with it.

Now with self driving its probably capable of doing a lot more, but the one in my golf and my old f30 for active cruise control, its not great value for the 3er relative. Auto cruise control is a must have now for me.
My wife's 2013 Golf GT also has adaptive as standard which always amazed me given the price many still charge for it. It works well and is good at tracking round bends but a bit slow to recognise when traffic has sped up.

The one on my Mondeo was a bit rubbish, really bad a tracking round bends (even small ones) and was constantly speeding up and then slowing down as it lost and then found the car in front. Fine on the motorway but that's it. For some reason the sensor was offset to one side at the front rather than located bang in the middle, maybe that was it...

The G20 system is way better than both as it keeps track of multiple vehicles at once all around you and so if you pull out to get round something slower in front but there is something close in front in the new lane it doesn't speed up and you can just slot in behind without accelerating or braking. In the Mondeo (and I think the Golf) as soon as you indicate right it speeds up and "rams" you into the back of the vehicle in front forcing you to brake (or disengage before pulling out). Similarly in the G20 if you overtake and then indicate to slot back in behind something it will match the speed. Very clever.

Having said that be careful of the lane guidance system, it can get itself in a pickle, especially through narrow road works where there are alternative lane markings still visible. I've had mine lurch from tracking one set to another a couple of times (ie. push me out of the actual lane) and have had to grab the wheel sharpish...
Appreciate 0