BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-27-2019, 12:04 PM   #1
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

F80 M3 to F97 X3M Comp

So I made the switch this weekend after going back and forth for a while with my 4 year old M3 (keep it until new M3, get demo M5, or X3M)

I figured the new M3 will be out in a year, I could wait, but they are always hot at first (not much discount, hard to get) and then usually a year later they get some 3 series LCI changes made... Also hoping for a M4GC to finally be made (have kids so the smaller back seat but extra cargo room is nice). Figured if I get a 3 year lease now, that will put me in a good position 3 years from now with great options to select from and still get to enjoy some new tech and AWD beast until then.

Anyway, my initial impressions compared to M3:

-Ride quality, the video/magazine reviewers who say the X3M is too harsh are insane. If you compare it to a standard SUV or a luxury cruiser, sure, but compared to my F80 the ride is less harsh, best way to describe it is the M3 when you hit a bump felt hard and sharp, the X3M feels more like a bounce.

-Power, its there, its crazy fast, I know its faster than the F80, but doesn't always feel it, even my 10 year old said that, which is simple physics I think, smaller/lighter cars will always "feel" faster even if they aren't. Either way its plenty fast for me.

-AWD vs RWD, this I am a bit torn on because RWD can be fun and when you have had a car for a while and know how its going to react it can be a lot of fun, at the same time the added security of the AWD is also fun. Knowing I can gun it at any time and come out of turns a little faster without spinning out is nice, also once winter hits I won't have to worry about traction during acceleration in snow/ice.

-other,
Ride height, it actually doesn't feel that much different than I thought it would, biggest difference to me is parking, that seems a little tougher than my M3 (which I was so used to) and the crazy amount of camera angles doesn't help. It does give a little more of that command view while driving.
Tech, this is a HUGE upgrade to my 2016 F80, I have only started to scratch the surface on it too, but the huge hud is great, a lot more stuff in idrive, lots of nanny stuff I didn't have before (I had none of it) that you can deactivate which is great, but some of it is very useful.
Luxury, it feels like higher quality than my M3, love the seats, a lot of materials seem to be upgraded, only downside is not having full leather as an option which I still don't understand, but the sensatec dash isn't bad and I am a fan of those.

Overall I don't regret the switch at all, bigger question will be when the lease is over do I get another X3M (LCI) or go back to a M3/M4GC, I might get used to the added practicality of the SUV.

oh and color combo, donington and sakhir, love it, I usually get "color" cars but really wanted the sakhir interior, the Donington is not overblown, its an amazing color and in a sea of gray/silver cars it still stands out which is cool, but won't draw the attention of cops like a Toronto Red would (or my sakhir M3 did).
Attached Images

Last edited by Mako; 10-27-2019 at 04:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 12:26 PM   #2
-JLT-
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M COMP, '23 iX xDrive50

congrats! I also came from a F8x, M4 'vert, and love the AWD (instant grip). I do miss RWD but living here in Chicago, AWD is more practical and better acceleration.

enjoy her and see u around
      10-27-2019, 12:46 PM   #3
Np2014
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Bsm/Sb

Everyone on this forum complains about the turbo lag is it that noticeable in the X3MC versus the M3/M4 you owned? I feel absolutely zero turbo lag in my 2015 M4 and love this car but looking to upgrade my X5.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 12:53 PM   #4
-JLT-
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M COMP, '23 iX xDrive50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Np2014 View Post
Everyone on this forum complains about the turbo lag is it that noticeable in the X3MC versus the M3/M4 you owned? I feel absolutely zero turbo lag in my 2015 M4 and love this car but looking to upgrade my X5.
yes and no. if you're caught in the 1k-2k then yes there's a lag. but if u manually shift or drive it aggressively then not so much
      10-27-2019, 12:57 PM   #5
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Congratulations, Mako - you've spent alot of time researching this SAV class, and glad you were able to zero in on the X3MC! Share some images when you get a chance.

Last edited by Max Well; 10-27-2019 at 12:58 PM.. Reason: Changed mako to Mako
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 01:19 PM   #6
MrItaly
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JLT- View Post
yes and no. if you're caught in the 1k-2k then yes there's a lag. but if u manually shift or drive it aggressively then not so much
I will vociferously second that opinion. Paddle shifters FTW!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 02:46 PM   #7
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JLT- View Post
I’m not 100% sure if this a turbo lag or we simply catch the transmission in the wrong gear (slow downshift). I do experience this lag too, but it’s very inconsistent. E.g., if I accelerate from low rpm 10 times, I’ll have the lag 2-3 times and very smooth linear acceleration (in D2) the other 7-8 times.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 03:11 PM   #8
Mako
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
I’m not 100% sure if this a turbo lag or we simply catch the transmission in the wrong gear (slow downshift). I do experience this lag too, but it’s very inconsistent. E.g., if I accelerate from low rpm 10 times, I’ll have the lag 2-3 times and very smooth linear acceleration (in D2) the other 7-8 times.
yeah this is what I noticed too, its strange because during M Town tour the X3M I drove seemed to have it, but the one I bought doesn't seem to be as bad (maybe they tuned a few things from press cars). Once you are going I haven't experienced any lag, but a few times it takes a second before you feel that slam into the back of your seat from a dead stop.

This is why they probably wanted to debut the engine in the X3M, fine tune it before the M3,
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 07:09 PM   #9
Mako
Rep

Quick update, the more I drive this thing the more I love it and the more I forget about the F80.

my daily drive had "those spots" where I cringed as I drove over the road, X3M handles it a ton better and I hardly feel it. Also cornering with this thing is amazing, just pulls right out with so much speed and endless traction.

wonder how long these Pilot Sport 4S tires will last. expensive as hell to replace 21"
Appreciate 0