E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Stuck fill plug in 6AT......ideas on how to get it out?

10-30-2019, 06:53 AM   #1
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Exclamation Stuck fill plug in 6AT......ideas on how to get it out?

So, I decided to change the filter/pan, fluid, mechantronic D-seal, and 4 sleeve seals in my 6-speed auto transmission in my 07' 335i.

You know that part at the start of every DIY that says "before you pull the pan, make sure you can get the fill plug out first".

Yeah....I skipped that part (stupid on my part).

So I've got everything done, and all back together...and sure enough, the fill plug is stuck. I can't get an allen socket in the plug (not enough room), but I can get a long 8mm allen wrench in there. I've bent two allen wrenches so far...the thing just won't budge. I've got it soaking in PB-Blaster right now, and I'm going to give it another try tonight after I get home from work.

Any other ideas on how to break this plug lose? Can I use a torch to lightly heat up the aluminum case that the steel plug is in? Any other ideas? I've got impacts, and all kinds of other toys that would zip it right out...I just don't have any room.

Thanks!
2007 335i, BMS DCI, BMS Chargepipe w/Tial BOV, ARM Catless Downpipes, silicone inlets, Bilstein B12 Prokit Suspension, Whiteline subframe bushings, Front/Rear M3 control arms, G-Plus FMIC, Stage 2 LPFP, Custom E40 tune by Justin (V8Bait), xHP stage 3 transmission flash, RB Two Turbos....10.90 @ 128mph
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 09:58 AM   #2
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

Anyone ever try heating up the aluminum case with a heat gun, and freezing the plug with a can of that duster air (holding it upside down)?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 02:28 PM   #3
kkasson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 328i, 08 BMW 528i

Do you have room to slide a socket and extension on the allen wrench as a cheater bar? I think I may have had to do that on mine, but there's a little more room on the E60.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 02:46 PM   #4
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkasson View Post
Do you have room to slide a socket and extension on the allen wrench as a cheater bar? I think I may have had to do that on mine, but there's a little more room on the E60.
Nope....there is barely enough room to get the Allen wrench in there. Off I could fit an Allen socket, I would just use my impact and get it out in a hurry.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 03:07 PM   #5
kkasson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 328i, 08 BMW 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post
Nope....there is barely enough room to get the Allen wrench in there. Off I could fit an Allen socket, I would just use my impact and get it out in a hurry.
Just to be clear, I mean to use the allen wrench like before but use a small socket and extension to extend the handle of the allen wrench farther downwards for more leverage. I think it should fit but there might be something in the way farther down that I'm not remembering
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 05:21 PM   #6
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkasson View Post
Just to be clear, I mean to use the allen wrench like before but use a small socket and extension to extend the handle of the allen wrench farther downwards for more leverage. I think it should fit but there might be something in the way farther down that I'm not remembering
I used a pipe on the end of the Allen wrench...but it's bending the wrench, and starting to strip out the plug. I'm going to try to heat it and see what happens...
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 02:59 AM   #7
streetpro
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: e92 335iA

Garage List
This happens when the guy before torqued it too much when warm... you could try to loosen the rear trans silentblocks and move it off the center to get more room... but it will give you few mm if at the best cause you would be moving the engine along... probably not worth the effort... just get better allen key and put a pipe on it to get steady and strong torque/feel...
      11-01-2019, 07:56 PM   #8
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

So I heated the aluminum transmission case where the plug goes it with a heat gun.......and then took a can if that compressed air turned upside down to blow the freezing propellant on the plug to get it really cold........cranked on the Allen wrench with a big breaker bar.....and POP!!!!. It broke lose!! Thank God!!
Appreciate 2