Technical Topics Wheels and Tires RF Winter Tires vs Non-RF Winter Tires

11-07-2019, 08:06 AM   #1
CrownRoyal79
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

RF Winter Tires vs Non-RF Winter Tires

I've got the 20" 794M wheels with summer RF tires and I'm planning on mounting a set of winter tires on the 19" 791M wheels that originally came on the car.

I would love to try the non-RF tires and see how much the ride quality improves. But, that could also mean being stuck on the side of the road with a flat during a winter storm. Besides the harsher ride, are there any other drawbacks to using RF winter tires? Any difference in traction?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 11:41 PM   #2
DanVlnStud
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownRoyal79 View Post
I've got the 20" 794M wheels with summer RF tires and I'm planning on mounting a set of winter tires on the 19" 791M wheels that originally came on the car.

I would love to try the non-RF tires and see how much the ride quality improves. But, that could also mean being stuck on the side of the road with a flat during a winter storm. Besides the harsher ride, are there any other drawbacks to using RF winter tires? Any difference in traction?
Non RFT are lighter and last much longer. Just keep an eye on your Tire pressure monitor. Doubt it would blow out that quickly unless you hit something hard, but you'll probably need a tow anyway. Just ordered some non-rft winter Pirelli sottozero 3 19" staggered. You can always carry a portable pump.
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2019, 11:17 AM   #3
CrownRoyal79
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanVlnStud View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownRoyal79 View Post

Non RFT are lighter and last much longer. Just keep an eye on your Tire pressure monitor. Doubt it would blow out that quickly unless you hit something hard, but you'll probably need a tow anyway. Just ordered some non-rft winter Pirelli sottozero 3 19" staggered. You can always carry a portable pump.
I decided to go with run flats for the winter tires and I'll get the non run flats when my summer tires need replacing. I went with the exact same tires as you, but the run flat version.

The Pirelli Sottozero 3 (RF and non-RF) are the only winter tires that TireRack shows for the M340i.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2019, 01:29 PM   #4
Delta5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i, 2018 X3 30i

The 18" SottoZero3 runflats I'm running for winter give a noticeably smoother and more comfortable ride than the stock summer 19" Michelin PS4S non-RF's. Especially in temps below about 50.

I have no idea if the non RF S3's are even better. And no snow yet. But on cool/cold wet and dry pavement I'm very impressed with them
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 09:45 PM   #5
M340Mike
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340, 2018 X3 Ultimate

My new winter RFs

Got these installed by the dealer yesterday:
[IMG]Winter wheels - 1 (2) by Mike v, on Flickr[/IMG]

My first impression is that they are actually smoother riding than the PS4S but it has only been a day so too soon to tell. Tires handled well in the light snow we had today.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 09:58 PM   #6
WXdrivefun
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 330Xdrive

I have the Pirelli 19" SottoZero3 Non-Runflats, with stagger setup. In my opinion, these tires behave similarity in the winter to that of the Michelin PS4s in the summer. However Pirelli 19" SottoZero3 not skid proof. Always drive with caution!

Just had winter storm yesterday in city and snow buildup on the streets. Not sure if this comment is an advantage or disadvantage to driving, but there is significant snow chunks accumulation in the back wheel-wells behind the wheels, weighing the vehicle down.

Any comparisons with other winter tires like Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 or Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3?

Last edited by WXdrivefun; 11-12-2019 at 10:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 10:18 AM   #7
G444
No_Country
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by M340Mike View Post
Got these installed by the dealer yesterday:
[IMG]Winter wheels - 1 (2) by Mike v, on Flickr[/IMG]

My first impression is that they are actually smoother riding than the PS4S but it has only been a day so too soon to tell. Tires handled well in the light snow we had today.
Did you put 2x 225 on your M340i or you put 2x 225 and 2x 255?
Appreciate 0