Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Has anyone done any upgrades to their M340i?

11-15-2019, 05:44 PM   #1
Eddie_NYC
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M Comp

Has anyone done any upgrades to their M340i?

Hey guys, placed an order for my first BMW M340i xDrive. With Black Friday right around the corner, I'm assuming there will be some good deals on parts.

I'm wondering if anyone here added some bolt-ons to their cars for some extra hp or just for fun. If so, what were they? what companies? And what are your opinions on them?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 03:27 PM   #2
SemtexGT
Romanian Spy
Romania
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Well, everyone seems crazy about downpipes around here, so there's that if you don't care about legal reasons or warranty.
There's also the Burger Motorsports air intake, which is a super easy bolt-on.
Burger Motorsports will also have a JB4 available for the M340i at some point (since they already have a version for the new Supra).
As for exhaust, I don't think there's anything dedicated besides the M Performance one from BMW. Akrapovic said they will have one available for the car at some point in Q1 2020, personally I'm waiting for that one since it's ECE approved, so very good for me in Europe.

Downpipes: https://x-ph.com/2020-m340-g-chassis/
Intake: https://x-ph.com/burger-tuning-bms-b...-toyota-supra/
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 11:11 AM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemtexGT View Post
Well, everyone seems crazy about downpipes around here, so there's that if you don't care about legal reasons or warranty.
There's also the Burger Motorsports air intake, which is a super easy bolt-on.
Burger Motorsports will also have a JB4 available for the M340i at some point (since they already have a version for the new Supra).
As for exhaust, I don't think there's anything dedicated besides the M Performance one from BMW. Akrapovic said they will have one available for the car at some point in Q1 2020, personally I'm waiting for that one since it's ECE approved, so very good for me in Europe.

Downpipes: https://x-ph.com/2020-m340-g-chassis/
Intake: https://x-ph.com/burger-tuning-bms-b...-toyota-supra/

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2019, 12:09 PM   #4
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Flash tunes are available by both Mission Performance and Carbahn for the M340. Info on both can be found in this forum.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 07:17 AM   #5
Eddie_NYC
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
Flash tunes are available by both Mission Performance and Carbahn for the M340. Info on both can be found in this forum.
Iv had flash tunes on privious cars, but I hope by the time I get my car, jb4 will be fully operational. I like the idea of being able to remove when needed.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 08:30 AM   #6
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

anything OEM I would highly recommend you contact Brit who runs our parts department BMWPARTSPROS you can shoot her a PM PARTS@STBMW or email brit@bmwpartspros.com

We already have deep discounts on parts for forum members but she will also be doing some special stuff for black Friday

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 10:17 AM   #7
Eddie_NYC
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
anything OEM I would highly recommend you contact Brit who runs our parts department BMWPARTSPROS you can shoot her a PM PARTS@STBMW or email brit@bmwpartspros.com

We already have deep discounts on parts for forum members but she will also be doing some special stuff for black Friday
thanks for the info, will contact her once I have a parts list ready
Appreciate 1
GOLFFRR10719.50
      11-19-2019, 10:23 AM   #8
PARTS@STBMW
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_NYC View Post
thanks for the info, will contact her once I have a parts list ready
I am here when you are ready!

Just finally pulled the trigger and bought myself one last night. (M340i)

She's in the shop getting some mods done!

-Britney
Appreciate 1
GOLFFRR10719.50
      11-19-2019, 10:35 AM   #9
TheBenchmark
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Jb4, intake and downpipe for 2,400 so far with no issues. I will switch to bm3 when available. The M performance exhaust and custom mid pipe coming soon.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 11:33 AM   #10
Eddie_NYC
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARTS@STBMW View Post
I am here when you are ready!

Just finally pulled the trigger and bought myself one last night. (M340i)

She's in the shop getting some mods done!

-Britney
Congrats! I'll be sure to link up with you before ordering anything
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2019, 11:44 AM   #11
Eddie_NYC
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBenchmark View Post
Jb4, intake and downpipe for 2,400 so far with no issues. I will switch to bm3 when available. The M performance exhaust and custom mid pipe coming soon.
I was under the impression that jb4 was not out for the m340 yet, but I can see that all one would need is the data cable or the phone kit to switch tunes, other than that its fully functioning for the b58.... which air intake and DP are you running?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 12:01 PM   #12
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Bootmod just released B58 tune will this work on G20 DME?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 01:23 PM   #13
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Bootmod/BM3/PTF (for those that are not familiar) has had a tune out for the B58 for maybe two years now - they came to market not too long after MP/Alex cracked the 1st gen B58 DME and launched his flash tune.

That said I just took a look at the PTF sight and the Supra is now supported and they are listing a B58 solution for the GXX (that's how they have it listed) so perhaps it is available for the M340??

I don't know - my money goes to MP always - but I'm happy to see others come to market.

Last edited by chenry; 11-19-2019 at 01:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 02:30 PM   #14
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Iv had flash tunes on privious cars, but I hope by the time I get my car, jb4 will be fully operational. I like the idea of being able to remove when needed.
I'm sure you know this but for those that don't and are reading this thread:

You can always just flash back to stock and lock your DME in a matter of minutes - if the dealer digs deep enough they will figure out the car has been tuned whether it is a piggyback (JB4, JB+, Superchip, AA etc..) or a flash (Mission, Carbauhn, PTF/BM3 etc..).

Given that information and after living with piggybacks and now a flash on my B58 I would never go back to a piggyback (unless it was on the backend of a flash like the MHD/JB4 solution). The flash is just so much smoother and linear vs the piggybacks (I had JB+, JB4 and AA). But that's just me...to each their own.

My point is at the end of the day a piggyback and a flash are both detectable. The days of thinking that a piggyback is less detectable are behind us.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 03:06 PM   #15
TheBenchmark
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBenchmark View Post
I was under the impression that jb4 was not out for the m340 yet, but I can see that all one would need is the data cable or the phone kit to switch tunes, other than that its fully functioning for the b58.... which air intake and DP are you running?
I'm running the burger intake and vrsf downpipe. All the parts I'm using is designated for the Supra.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 03:33 PM   #16
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Quote:
Bootmod/BM3/PTF (for those that are not familiar) has had a tune out for the B58 for maybe two years now - they came to market not too long after MP/Alex cracked the 1st gen B58 DME and launched his flash tune.

That said I just took a look at the PTF sight and the Supra is now supported and they are listing a B58 solution for the GXX (that's how they have it listed) so perhaps it is available for the M340??

I don't know - my money goes to MP always - but I'm happy to see others come to market.
It seems like MP is faster to market with tunes for the latest vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 11:45 AM   #17
senderhomes
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340I

Quote:
Quote:

Not out for b58tu yet. Waiting
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 01:41 PM   #18
itsglen
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by senderhomes View Post
Out of curiosity why are you waiting for Pro Tuning Freaks (BM3)? Not saying you shouldn't (and please understand I'm not being argumentative) but with Carbaun, Burger (JB4 piggyback) and Mission Performance (and probably others I haven't listed) on the market what are you expecting to get from PTF that these other tuners are not delivering?

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 02:28 PM   #19
senderhomes
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340I

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsglen View Post
Quote:
Out of curiosity why are you waiting for Pro Tuning Freaks (BM3)? Not saying you shouldn't (and please understand I'm not being argumentative) but with Carbaun, Burger (JB4 piggyback) and Mission Performance (and probably others I haven't listed) on the market what are you expecting to get from PTF that these other tuners are not delivering?

Thanks!!
No real reason if those are able to be done without bench unlocking the dme. I want to be able to flash and go back to stock from my laptop. Are any of those you listed able to do that yet? If so I am open to them ... looks like mp is now. I know they weren't when they first cracked it.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 03:24 PM   #20
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No real reason if those are able to be done without bench unlocking the dme. I want to be able to flash and go back to stock from my laptop. Are any of those you listed able to do that yet? If so I am open to them ... looks like mp is now. I know they weren't when they first cracked it.
A very good point - I really enjoy being able to flash my car (340i for now M340 next year - Ill transfer my tune) back and forth between tuned and stock when I want to.

Hey Mission Performance (if you care to respond) bench flash (send in your computer/dme) vs local (do it at home) where are you at. I understand it's a cat and mouse race between tuners and BMW and their updates

Last edited by chenry; 12-03-2019 at 03:29 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2019, 03:31 PM   #21
Pacman123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mazda 3 , BMW M340i Xdrive

Quote:
A very good point - I really enjoy being able to flash my car (340i for now M340 next year - Ill transfer my tune) back and forth between tuned and stock when I want to.

Hey Mission Performance (if you care to respond) bench flash (send in your computer/dme) vs local (do it at home) where are you at. I understand it's a cat and mouse race between tuners and BMW and their updates
Is it really that easy to switch between tune and stock? Been thinking about MP's tune but didnt want to be stuck with it if I needed to go to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 03:46 PM   #22
MissionPerformance
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F31 340xi US Spec

Garage List
The above questions really depend on which software version you are running. If you have gone to a dealer and they have specifically UPDATED your vehicle any time from 11/05/19 and later, then you are probably running the latest tuning protection version which blocks us from flashing over OBD. In this case, we will need a computer here at our office to get you unlocked. Once unlocked, you can OBD flash your car to tuned or back to stock anytime you like using your windows laptop. Again, this only applies to customers that have been flashed by a dealer in the last 25 days. Everyone else can enjoy simple flashing over OBD at any time they like.

And yes, it really is that simple. Plug your laptop to your car over enet cable, follow on screen instructions and you are done. Unlocking ecu takes 5 minutes and flash changes take only 1 minute.
Appreciate 4