Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK F30 330e v G20 330e - my thoughts...!

11-22-2019, 12:55 PM   #1
Albmw1977
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e Lux f30

F30 330e v G20 330e - my thoughts...!

Now I've had my G20 for a few weeks (and 2000 miles) thought I'd note down a few thoughts to compare it against my F30 330e that I had for the last 6 months (pool car!).

Firstly I should say my F30 was a Luxury spec on 18's with no added options. My G20 is an msport with premium pack, msport plus pack and I also added HK stereo and enhanced Bluetooth with wireless charging, so a step up in terms of options. But In the last 2-3 years I've also had an F30 320d msport with plus pack, and also a G31 520d... (changed jobs/promoted a few times...!).

My initial impression- and this has not subsided after 2000 miles - clearly this is a huge step up for BMW for the 3 series in every area from the F30. This incarnation definitely feels more g30/31 5 series in terms of refinement/comfort over the F30.

I think the first thing to notice is how quiet it is in the cabin when driving - the acoustic glass and improved soundproofing makes such a big difference over the F30 be that driving round town or on the motorway. It's virtually impossible to tell when the engine kicks in (whereas this was pretty obvious in the F30 from both the engine sound and also a bit of a jolt/kick).

The ride is also really impressive. I've seen some discussion elsewhere about the merits of adaptive suspension and in my opinion it's a must especially if you're getting 19s. It's incredible how comfortable it makes the drive on big wheels with RFT's! Much better than the ride on 18s and standard suspension I had on my F30, on a par with the standard suspension and 18s in my G31. I also had adaptive on my F30 320d - I really think it's a must have.

The performance is simply astounding...! Even though it's a company car I did resist the temptation to thrash it over the first 1200 miles (as per the manual ). So just got used to normal everyday driving where even if you're just in hybrid mode (where it's choosing power/drive for you) you've got plenty of pace to play with - and it feels similar to the F30 330e here. However... post 1200 miles and I decided to drive home the countryside way the other day and have a play with Xtraboost mode (shoddy name - and about my only criticism of this car!). This mode is mental, the car has a quoted 0-60 of 5.5ish I think, but it almost feels quicker than this. The F30 330e felt fast in sport mode, but you could almost feel the power train straining a bit when booting it. This just delivers what feels like endless grunt. Corners arrive VERY quickly! But it's then so stable and planted through the bends you just have so much confidence. I've read elsewhere about the extra weight - my only comparison is to the F30 320d I had, but I really don't feel this is a heavy car at all.

My main driving is on the motorway - and as mentioned above this is where BMW have stepped this up to make this feel more 5 series. The seats with the premium pack are so comfortable and can be adjusted in so many different ways. Better than the sports seats on the F30 msport.

Having had BMWs over the last few years I'm a massive idrive fan, and the latest version here again is a big step up. I've read elsewhere about glitches but I haven't had any issues so far. I haven't used the Connected music that people seem to say isn't great - I have Apple Music so use CarPlay for that. This is where the enhanced Bluetooth is really useful as you can connect two phones at the same time. I could do that in my previous BMWs - but now I can actually make and receive calls on either my work phone or personal phone without having to disconnect/reconnect which is so so useful. CarPlay is fantastic too - I have a big data pack so can stream music to my hearts content! I also really like google maps - and you get full integration (even full satellite maps of you want!). I have tried the car's nav and it seems pretty good - just never think the RTTi on these can match the google/Waze performance. Wireless charging isn't that fast, plus phone gets very hot, but that's not a huge concern.

The reverse/park assist is also great and I'm using this all the time now. It's the first time I've had a car that does this - feels a bit weird at first not steering but I'm very used to looking like a weirdo in supermarket car parks now! Not such a fan of the lane assist function which basically pushes you back into the lane you're trying to leave if you don't indicate (surely not indicating is the right of every BMW owner )! You can dampen this down though if you want, or learn to indicate.....!

In terms of economy/electric range - as it's a company car and I have a fuel card I don't really have any incentive to max out on my MPG, and I haven't yet plugged it in (yes, shoot me now). However what I have noticed is the much better range I'm getting with this over the F30 330e. Used to get about 340 miles between fill ups in that, this is more like 420 so far. Only another 80 miles (and I do sometimes miss the range of my previous big diesel tank cars!) but it's a big step up (although realise a less than scientific comparison).

So in summary, this is one awesome bit of kit and a massive evolution from the F30. Any questions/comments gratefully received! Realise car choice is all pretty subjective, but this is my humble opinion. Cheers!
Appreciate 1
ab330e9.00
      11-22-2019, 01:25 PM   #2
Vogal
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G20 330E M

Great review, thanks.

Ordered today a 330e M Pack, blue Portimão with 19" and adaptive suspension. Can't wait...
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 01:41 PM   #3
Albmw1977
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vogal View Post
Great review, thanks.

Ordered today a 330e M Pack, blue Portimão with 19" and adaptive suspension. Can't wait...
You're welcome!
I also went portimao - really love the colour!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 02:39 PM   #4
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Great write up and wholeheartedly agree with all of it. It's the biggest step up from one 3 series generation to the next that I can recall since E30 to E36.

Even with a fuel card I'd still charge mine up at home though. Starting out with a full charge and having the car warmed up before you even set off is a significant part of the pleasure!
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 05:23 PM   #5
Albmw1977
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
Great write up and wholeheartedly agree with all of it. It's the biggest step up from one 3 series generation to the next that I can recall since E30 to E36.

Even with a fuel card I'd still charge mine up at home though. Starting out with a full charge and having the car warmed up before you even set off is a significant part of the pleasure!
That is a good shout. Am yet to fully discover/understand the whole pre-heating experience! Is it correct though though that if you use the battery control and have enough charge left it will do this even if you're not plugged in?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 04:53 AM   #6
Jkwon
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albmw1977 View Post
Quote:

That is a good shout. Am yet to fully discover/understand the whole pre-heating experience! Is it correct though though that if you use the battery control and have enough charge left it will do this even if you're not plugged in?
Yep
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 06:16 AM   #7
ab330e
Rep
Drives: bmw G20 330e

Quote:
Now I've had my G20 for a few weeks (and 2000 miles) thought I'd note down a few thoughts to compare it against my F30 330e that I had for the last 6 months (pool car!).

Firstly I should say my F30 was a Luxury spec on 18's with no added options. My G20 is an msport with premium pack, msport plus pack and I also added HK stereo and enhanced Bluetooth with wireless charging, so a step up in terms of options. But In the last 2-3 years I've also had an F30 320d msport with plus pack, and also a G31 520d... (changed jobs/promoted a few times...!).

My initial impression- and this has not subsided after 2000 miles - clearly this is a huge step up for BMW for the 3 series in every area from the F30. This incarnation definitely feels more g30/31 5 series in terms of refinement/comfort over the F30.

I think the first thing to notice is how quiet it is in the cabin when driving - the acoustic glass and improved soundproofing makes such a big difference over the F30 be that driving round town or on the motorway. It's virtually impossible to tell when the engine kicks in (whereas this was pretty obvious in the F30 from both the engine sound and also a bit of a jolt/kick).

The ride is also really impressive. I've seen some discussion elsewhere about the merits of adaptive suspension and in my opinion it's a must especially if you're getting 19s. It's incredible how comfortable it makes the drive on big wheels with RFT's! Much better than the ride on 18s and standard suspension I had on my F30, on a par with the standard suspension and 18s in my G31. I also had adaptive on my F30 320d - I really think it's a must have.

The performance is simply astounding...! Even though it's a company car I did resist the temptation to thrash it over the first 1200 miles (as per the manual ). So just got used to normal everyday driving where even if you're just in hybrid mode (where it's choosing power/drive for you) you've got plenty of pace to play with - and it feels similar to the F30 330e here. However... post 1200 miles and I decided to drive home the countryside way the other day and have a play with Xtraboost mode (shoddy name - and about my only criticism of this car!). This mode is mental, the car has a quoted 0-60 of 5.5ish I think, but it almost feels quicker than this. The F30 330e felt fast in sport mode, but you could almost feel the power train straining a bit when booting it. This just delivers what feels like endless grunt. Corners arrive VERY quickly! But it's then so stable and planted through the bends you just have so much confidence. I've read elsewhere about the extra weight - my only comparison is to the F30 320d I had, but I really don't feel this is a heavy car at all.

My main driving is on the motorway - and as mentioned above this is where BMW have stepped this up to make this feel more 5 series. The seats with the premium pack are so comfortable and can be adjusted in so many different ways. Better than the sports seats on the F30 msport.

Having had BMWs over the last few years I'm a massive idrive fan, and the latest version here again is a big step up. I've read elsewhere about glitches but I haven't had any issues so far. I haven't used the Connected music that people seem to say isn't great - I have Apple Music so use CarPlay for that. This is where the enhanced Bluetooth is really useful as you can connect two phones at the same time. I could do that in my previous BMWs - but now I can actually make and receive calls on either my work phone or personal phone without having to disconnect/reconnect which is so so useful. CarPlay is fantastic too - I have a big data pack so can stream music to my hearts content! I also really like google maps - and you get full integration (even full satellite maps of you want!). I have tried the car's nav and it seems pretty good - just never think the RTTi on these can match the google/Waze performance. Wireless charging isn't that fast, plus phone gets very hot, but that's not a huge concern.

The reverse/park assist is also great and I'm using this all the time now. It's the first time I've had a car that does this - feels a bit weird at first not steering but I'm very used to looking like a weirdo in supermarket car parks now! Not such a fan of the lane assist function which basically pushes you back into the lane you're trying to leave if you don't indicate (surely not indicating is the right of every BMW owner )! You can dampen this down though if you want, or learn to indicate.....!

In terms of economy/electric range - as it's a company car and I have a fuel card I don't really have any incentive to max out on my MPG, and I haven't yet plugged it in (yes, shoot me now). However what I have noticed is the much better range I'm getting with this over the F30 330e. Used to get about 340 miles between fill ups in that, this is more like 420 so far. Only another 80 miles (and I do sometimes miss the range of my previous big diesel tank cars!) but it's a big step up (although realise a less than scientific comparison).

So in summary, this is one awesome bit of kit and a massive evolution from the F30. Any questions/comments gratefully received! Realise car choice is all pretty subjective, but this is my humble opinion. Cheers!
Really appreciate the write up. I've ordered this car and am a couple of weeks from delivery now. Reading up as much as I can before it arrives and it all reads excellently!
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2019, 06:21 AM   #8
rf3000
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

I will be in the same situation: company card and a fuel card. And I will do the very same: charge it every day at home and work. I calculated my year electricity bill increase and its peanuts, comparing to run almost only on electric, preheat/cool, etc.

I just need my 330e to arrive! I see it's scheduled to be manufactured on Dec 9th week, so hopefully I will have it with be by year end (a great Christmas present) or beginning of 2020!

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 08:23 AM   #9
Albmw1977
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab330e View Post
Quote:

Really appreciate the write up. I've ordered this car and am a couple of weeks from delivery now. Reading up as much as I can before it arrives and it all reads excellently!
Excited for you! I was hassling the poor lady BMW Williams in Manchester the last few weeks before mine was delivered 😂
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 09:51 AM   #10
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Excited for you! I was hassling the poor lady BMW Williams in Manchester the last few weeks before mine was delivered 😂
Would that be Nuala by any chance?!
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 01:14 PM   #11
Albmw1977
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The very one 😂😂😂
She was really helpful to be fair - think she has to deal with a lot of impatient tw@ts like me 😂😂
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 01:16 PM   #12
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The very one 😂😂😂
She was really helpful to be fair - think she has to deal with a lot of impatient tw@ts like me 😂😂
Yes same here! For somebody dealing with corporate customers she was amazingly helpful, and always responded really quickly to queries.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 01:43 PM   #13
Warrior54
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e G20

Question for those that have already got their hands on the 330e! What cable is supplied with the car?
Car is currently sat at 9630 in Southampton. What type of timescales are people experiencing from that stage to it arriving at the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 01:55 PM   #14
Burnzie’s BM
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior54 View Post
Question for those that have already got their hands on the 330e! What cable is supplied with the car?
Car is currently sat at 9630 in Southampton. What type of timescales are people experiencing from that stage to it arriving at the dealer?
5 mtr 13amp plug cable.

Out of the box it’s set at 6amp which with a empty battery it’s around 8 hours to charge to full so change the amp on the iDrive screen to 10 amp and you’re looking at 5.5 hours for an empty to full charge.
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2019, 01:57 PM   #15
Warrior54
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnzieÂ’s BM View Post
Quote:
5 mtr 13amp plug cable.

Out of the box it’s set at 6amp which with a empty battery it’s around 8 hours to charge to full so change the amp on the iDrive screen to 10 amp and you’re looking at 5.5 hours for an empty to full charge.
Oh wow!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 03:01 PM   #16
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

Well worth getting a proper charging point installed if you've got a drive and staying in your house a few years. Government grant gives £500 towards it meaning you can get it installed for about £400 IIRC.

It's better from an electrical safety perspective and it's quicker to charge than 3 pin plug charger. The G20 takes about 3 hours or so.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 03:02 PM   #17
Albmw1977
Rep

Quote:
Mine was about 2 weeks from arriving at port to me actually getting it. A chunk of this was waiting for ALD to fit a tracker though.

I had my G31 come via Soton a couple of years ago and it was delivered straight from there - think they're set up to do a lot of the prep so it doesn't need to go via the dealer. That was much quicker.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 03:07 PM   #18
Warrior54
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Mine was about 2 weeks from arriving at port to me actually getting it. A chunk of this was waiting for ALD to fit a tracker though.

I had my G31 come via Soton a couple of years ago and it was delivered straight from there - think they're set up to do a lot of the prep so it doesn't need to go via the dealer. That was much quicker.
Cheers for sharing. I will leave the Genius team alone for the weekend!

But, who are ALD and why are they fitting a tracker?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 04:06 PM   #19
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep

ALD is a lease company. That's who my company uses, and they seem to be buying through Williams in Manchester just now, and their cars get fitted with a tracker.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 04:22 PM   #20
trent_engine
Rep
Drives: BMW G21 330e M Sport Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rf3000 View Post
I just need my 330e to arrive! I see it's scheduled to be manufactured on Dec 9th week, so hopefully I will have it with be by year end (a great Christmas present) or beginning of 2020!
I've got a similar timeline. Due to be manufactured week of 2nd Dec, in the dealer week of 23rd Dec. But I think I'm going to be lucky to see it before Christmas.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 04:24 PM   #21
trent_engine
Rep
Drives: BMW G21 330e M Sport Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnzie’s BM View Post
I'm sure it's been covered somewhere but would you mind telling us where in the iDrive we have to go in order to effect the amp change?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 05:52 PM   #22
Cranester1983
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e M Sport

Quote:
Well worth getting a proper charging point installed if you've got a drive and staying in your house a few years. Government grant gives £500 towards it meaning you can get it installed for about £400 IIRC.

It's better from an electrical safety perspective and it's quicker to charge than 3 pin plug charger. The G20 takes about 3 hours or so.
Better still, if you live in Scotland it’s an £800 grant - leaving £149 only to pay for a BP Chargemaster wallbox!
Appreciate 2
Tengocity8562.00