proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > Classifieds > Vendor Comments/Review/Feedback Forum

12-10-2019, 01:57 AM   #1
BikBlekGui
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

MRG Titanium Stud Issues?

I've had the MRG Titanium Stud Conversion Kit for about 2 years (and used for about 20,000 km/12,000 miles). Street use only, never tracked; I only bought them for cosmetics.

However, my mechanic informed me today that my front studs (all 10 of them) are damaged and galled, and that I'm not driving out of his shop due to safety concerns. Thankfully, he caught the issue before a wheel flew off on the highway!

My mechanic suspects that they were either over-torqued (causing threading issues), or under-torqued (which, combined with aggressive driving, causes galling).

I know they were torqued fine, because I followed the installation instructions and hand torqued them myself. In fact, the rear 10 studs didn't show any issues and were torqued to 88 ft lbs, just like the fronts.

So, I'm confused with what's going on! Is this problematic with titanium in general? Anyone have similar issues? Should this be brought to the attention of MRG?

I remember paying almost $500 USD for these, and to have them almost claim my life is a bit of a worry!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 07:09 PM   #2
Wmf80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

I looked into these over a year ago and found this to be an issue that could occur. Which is why I passed on this mod. Safe drivings to ones who do have these installed.
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2019, 09:21 AM   #3
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

basically, never EVER use titanium wheel hardware

This is standard operating procedure for titanium stuff
Appreciate 2
      12-11-2019, 10:19 AM   #4
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

The issues are typically user error.

The threads are straight and not rolled so they are easy to cross. You cannot use an impact wrench whatsoever.

I've ran them but I don't anymore since I'm just about the quick and easy and don't want to think about it. But they look good and don't oxidize.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 10:38 AM   #5
BikBlekGui
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterP View Post
The issues are typically user error.

The threads are straight and not rolled so they are easy to cross. You cannot use an impact wrench whatsoever.

I've ran them but I don't anymore since I'm just about the quick and easy and don't want to think about it. But they look good and don't oxidize.
Never have used an impact wrench. Even MRG's instructions caution against its use. It seems titanium is problematic in general.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 10:40 AM   #6
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

How would they become damaged and galled then.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 10:51 AM   #7
BikBlekGui
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterP View Post
How would they become damaged and galled then.
Welcome to my questions I posted the day before yesterday.
Appreciate 1
SherM4n630.00
      12-12-2019, 04:38 PM   #8
BlownOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 m4 comp

They can get damaged/galled if you don’t apply anti seize to lubricate the threads upon first use and occasionally after that. I never heard of this and had to do some reasearch when I purchased titanium lug bolts, but sure as shit I found a company who manufactures ti studs/bolts and they specifically state to use anti seize then torque to oem spec (110ftlbs).
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 04:45 PM   #9
BikBlekGui
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlownOne View Post
They can get damaged/galled if you don't apply anti seize to lubricate the threads upon first use and occasionally after that. I never heard of this and had to do some reasearch when I purchased titanium lug bolts, but sure as shit I found a company who manufactures ti studs/bolts and they specifically state to use anti seize then torque to oem spec (110ftlbs).
MRG omitted that from their instructions, so definitely do not use anti-seize with MRG studs, if that's what you're using.

I never used anti-seize. There tends to be mixed reviews with regards to the use of anti-seize and titanium hardware. Some say yay, some say nay.
Appreciate 0