BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-11-2019, 05:21 AM   #1
Brian-f
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw X3 M Competition

Attempted theft last night in UK

Didnt take long, under 3 months for break in to be attempted at house, heard a noise during the night and just thought it was my wee boy waking up as he woke up same time....checked cctv today and yip front and back door tried car also tried and pics taken of the car....its added to someones shopping list then by looks of it. Scumbags should go get a proper job!!!!
      12-11-2019, 05:31 AM   #2
aliwtsn
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-f View Post
Didnt take long, under 3 months for break in to be attempted at house, heard a noise during the night and just thought it was my wee boy waking up as he woke up same time....checked cctv today and yip front and back door tried car also tried and pics taken of the car....its added to someones shopping list then by looks of it. Scumbags should go get a proper job!!!!
Not a good start but glad to hear everyone is alright and they didn't manage to gain entry to your home.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 05:32 AM   #3
Carmicro
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: T

Quote:
Sorry to hear that. It’s also the time of year where these arsehol* start breaking in. These scumbags need a good beating if you ask me.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 05:36 AM   #4
Steveo535
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Phytonic Blue X3MC

Absolute Scum.

Glad your all ok and they didn’t get into the house or car.

They need a good beating but if they get caught nothing every happens.

You get “it’s only a car your insured” makes my blood boil.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 05:37 AM   #5
M5 TT
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

wow scary stuff. Not nice at all.
      12-11-2019, 05:50 AM   #6
Brian-f
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Yea i have two young kids so nowadays i have the mentality of its insured they can have it as long as my family is not hurt for a car.....still have blood boiling this morning that they have tried it and taking pictures means they must be planning a return at some point.
      12-11-2019, 05:52 AM   #7
Brian-f
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyboy77 View Post
We get them often on our small estate/culdesac We see them on everyone's CCTV as they go through the estate essentially picking the cars that they want.

Range Rover Sports, M4 and an Audi TT were the most recent.

It's soul destroying that to keep your family safe you actually need to make it easy for them to steal a car.

You are either putting yourself in danger by way of prosecution or physical harm if you catch one of the xxxtards and try to give them what they deserve.

The police told us they will typically get £1k for a high end car and it will be broken for parts within days.

The insurance line is trotted out from the police too...

What I hate is that it's an expectation that you have to put up with it if you are to live within your means and that it's almost your own fault for doing well.

Scumbags the lot of them........

Does anyone know if the comfort pack on these is any better than the M4. The M4 that went was done in seconds via an iPad held up to the house to clone the key. The CCTV is quite bizarre. I'm going to get a faraday bag, but wondered if the security is better on the X3M?

I have a faraday box for keys anyway but yes i think all bmw’s now come with the sleeping keys so after a certain time they dont send out signal until they are moved so that should stop the kind of theft you are talking about.
      12-11-2019, 07:13 AM   #8
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

That's no good, one of my worries was will this be a scum magnet, breaking and entering into someone's home should come with a heavy prison sentence and a 3 strikes rule = life.

These people offer nothing to society and don't deserve to be part of it, the protection of personal property seems to have gone down the list of the governments priorities these days.
      12-11-2019, 07:42 AM   #9
kzg1969
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp / M3 E93

Good news that your car security held up - but sorry to hear it even happened in the first place. I guess its difficult to relax now?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 07:59 AM   #10
Carmicro
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
That's no good, one of my worries was will this be a scum magnet, breaking and entering into someone's home should come with a heavy prison sentence and a 3 strikes rule = life.

These people offer nothing to society and don't deserve to be part of it, the protection of personal property seems to have gone down the list of the governments priorities these days.
+ 1
Appreciate 2
Wills28656.00
Bobh5952.00
      12-11-2019, 09:08 AM   #11
x3mcomp
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Sorry to hear this. Glad they didn't get anything. Hope they don't come back to you!
Appreciate 1
ScotX542.50
      12-11-2019, 11:43 AM   #12
Brian-f
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzg1969 View Post
Good news that your car security held up - but sorry to hear it even happened in the first place. I guess its difficult to relax now?

Yea like you say will be straight out of bed at every sound next few night i guess. End of the day its just a car its the scumbags in your house for keys that annoyed me years ago but luckily this they never got in the house. Just the taking pics of back of car annoying me as they will be back at some point.
kzg19691299.00
      12-11-2019, 02:10 PM   #13
X3MSteve
Private
Rep
Drives: X3M

Did they damage the front/back doors at all/snap the locks or just check if they were unlocked?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 03:15 PM   #14
Brian-f
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3MSteve View Post
Did they damage the front/back doors at all/snap the locks or just check if they were unlocked?
Damaged the door at my friends house few streets away who has an RS6 but no was just a quick check of my doors and look round the car.....every house they tried they have took pictures of the cars by the sound of it, misses has a 1 series and they never took a pic of that.
      12-12-2019, 12:52 AM   #15
kzg1969
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp / M3 E93

Regarding house doors - certainly worth a wee read up on how easy it is to snap locks.....and how easy it is to replace them with more secure ones.
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2019, 11:43 AM   #16
RitaClark
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 7S RED

Quote:
Yea like you say will be straight out of a best guest beds at every sound next few night i guess. End of the day its just a car its the scumbags in your house for keys that annoyed me years ago but luckily this they never got in the house. Just the taking pics of back of car annoying me as they will be back at some point.
What do you call a bed with a bed underneath?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 01:04 PM   #17
Brian-f
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitaClark View Post
What do you call a bed with a bed underneath?
Dunno, it dont say that on original post
      12-18-2019, 02:55 PM   #18
Gritty
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Quote:
That's really unfortunate. Thieves typically don't like lights, so try to keep the area well lit and adding any deterrent such as a wheel lock to the car may help?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 01:29 PM   #19
Brian-f
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gritty View Post
That's really unfortunate. Thieves typically don't like lights, so try to keep the area well lit and adding any deterrent such as a wheel lock to the car may help?
Yes got downlighting outside the house anyway but that, cameras and a clearly visible thru front door house alarm control panel. Guessing nothing apart from doors and windows being locked would stop them, all in black with balaclavas on. Wheel lock to me is a pain to put on and off but it is a valid point as that would put them off. I am also blocking it in the driveway with wives 1 series.

Extra police patrols been in area every night between 2-5am so hopefully they catch them soon, 6 cars in under a week stolen in local area they said.
Wills28656.00