F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Q - best All-Season tires for 398 Orbit Grey
Studio RSR

12-19-2019, 09:29 AM   #1
Digital_83
OO=[][]=OO
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F36 430xD M Sport/THP

Q - best All-Season tires for 398 Orbit Grey

Hey Guys,

Need your help.
Could you please recommend the best all season [non-run flat!] tires for 398 Orbit Grey '18 [w/track handling pack.]. Apparently I'm on my last 4mm stretch right now.

current config:

Front Size:
18" 225/45-18

Rear Size:
18"
255/40-18

edit: was thinking about " PILOT SPORT A/S 3+ (W- OR Y-SPEED RATED)"

Thank you very much and Happy Holidays !

Last edited by Digital_83; 12-19-2019 at 09:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 09:54 AM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

For tires that are mainly run on bare roads with just occasional snow the Michelin Cross Climate is the highest rated. 235/45 18 is the largest available. Wit xDrive the value of staggered is debatable.
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2019, 12:19 PM   #3
Psi5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW F32 440i

PS3s A/S or call Tire Rack and ask them (they'll prob tell you PS3).
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2019, 12:39 PM   #4
Poodle
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i Coupe, 2019 X5

Has PS3 AS on my 428 m sport, same staggered as yours
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2019, 12:53 PM   #5
doyler
Rep
Drives: 435i ZHP

PS A/S 3+ won Tire Rack's most recent best ultra high performance AS test.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=230

Also depends on what you want though - A/S 3+ seems to be the best ultra high performance AS tire, with emphasis being on performance. There are better AS tires out there for purely snow performance but those will be lacking in other areas, likely summer performance. It's a give and take and A/S 3+ is basically the highest performing tire in summer conditions that is still a solid cold weather tire but definitely no a true winter/snow tire.
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2019, 01:53 PM   #6
Digital_83
OO=[][]=OO
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
For tires that are mainly run on bare roads with just occasional snow the Michelin Cross Climate is the highest rated. 235/45 18 is the largest available. Wit xDrive the value of staggered is debatable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi5 View Post
PS3s A/S or call Tire Rack and ask them (they'll prob tell you PS3).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodle View Post
Has PS3 AS on my 428 m sport, same staggered as yours
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyler View Post
PS A/S 3+ won Tire Rack's most recent best ultra high performance AS test.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=230

Also depends on what you want though - A/S 3+ seems to be the best ultra high performance AS tire, with emphasis being on performance. There are better AS tires out there for purely snow performance but those will be lacking in other areas, likely summer performance. It's a give and take and A/S 3+ is basically the highest performing tire in summer conditions that is still a solid cold weather tire but definitely no a true winter/snow tire.
Gentlemen, it is much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 02:14 PM   #7
Solidjake
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Poland
Rep
Drives: '13 328i Msport 6MT

The Michelins as recommended or DWS 06

Apex SM-10/DWS06+ | 400m/X-ice Xi3 | Injen Exhaust | Stoptech SS Lines | 335 Front Brakes
Hawk HPS 5.0 | RBF600 | ER Charge Pipes | Wagner Evo Comp 2 FMIC
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2019, 03:36 PM   #8
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Hello BMW Experts!

Actually, this is the latest Tirerack UHP-AS test (5/19 vs 9/17), but both are relevant. The Goodyear Eagle Exhilarate looks to be the new champ in the wet:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=241

Murf

Last edited by Littlebear; 12-19-2019 at 04:06 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2019, 04:32 PM   #9
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

In the high performance A/S category, yes. I wouldn't overlook the Grand Touring A/S category. Not everyone puts a higher priority on performance than on a smooth quiet ride.
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2019, 06:35 PM   #10
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
If you're trying to run AS3s during the winter, you should reconsider. They are more of a 3 season tire and are pretty bad in snow. Personally, I'd either go with a summer/winter tire combo and switch out or just get a more competent all season tire.

I live in CA now so I would definitely get the AS3 for an every day car, but if I were still living in the Midwest I'd just invest in winter tires.
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2019, 06:48 PM   #11
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

I run the AS3’s year round in SE Michigan and it’s worth the trade off for the tremendous traction and feel advantages. I don’t think they are much worse than other high performance all season tires. In reality if you want good snow traction you need winter tires.
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2019, 07:39 PM   #12
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

DWS works great in the midwest. Only a few snows a year and it gets through them great. If you have heavy snow and extended periods where there's a lot of snow on the roads, then you're better off getting dedicated winters.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2019, 07:44 PM   #13
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 330ixT

OP wants best A/S tires in the winter.

Thread is now about dedicated winter tires.

Where's the banghead thingy.
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2019, 08:33 PM   #14
Digital_83
OO=[][]=OO
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
In the high performance A/S category, yes. I wouldn't overlook the Grand Touring A/S category. Not everyone puts a higher priority on performance than on a smooth quiet ride.
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
If you're trying to run AS3s during the winter, you should reconsider. They are more of a 3 season tire and are pretty bad in snow. Personally, I'd either go with a summer/winter tire combo and switch out or just get a more competent all season tire.

I live in CA now so I would definitely get the AS3 for an every day car, but if I were still living in the Midwest I'd just invest in winter tires.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebear View Post
Hello BMW Experts!

Actually, this is the latest Tirerack UHP-AS test (5/19 vs 9/17), but both are relevant. The Goodyear Eagle Exhilarate looks to be the new champ in the wet:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=241

Murf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
I run the AS3’s year round in SE Michigan and it’s worth the trade off for the tremendous traction and feel advantages. I don’t think they are much worse than other high performance all season tires. In reality if you want good snow traction you need winter tires.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
DWS works great in the midwest. Only a few snows a year and it gets through them great. If you have heavy snow and extended periods where there's a lot of snow on the roads, then you're better off getting dedicated winters.

Well, I'm in NYC ... we barely get any snow, and when we do - it lasts for a day or two tops (unless a major blizzard/storm). Then again, the amount of salt we get sprayed here is just downright criminal !! But occasionally I would need to dig myself out of places - so there it is, this is where AS aspect comes from.

Thank you guys !

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviantspeed View Post

^ this is
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 09:09 PM   #15
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

That's why I suggested the Cross Climate. Having lived in NYC I know that snow is seldom seen and doesn't last long, so what he's best off with is an A/S that gives summer performance almost as good as a summer tire, but still able to handle moderate snow. I'm in the highlands in New Hampshire, so I see more snow than most, but I don't commute, so I seldom drive in winter, almost never during a snow storm. Most of my driving is in the summer, so that's why I went with the Cross Climate. I don't track, or ever drive like I'm on one, so for me grand touring makes more sense than high performance.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 09:26 PM   #16
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviantspeed View Post

OP did not mention winter. He asked about best all season go flat tires for his staggered set up.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 10:34 PM   #17
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_83 View Post
Hey Guys,

Need your help.
Could you please recommend the best all season [non-run flat!] tires for 398 Orbit Grey '18 [w/track handling pack.]. Apparently I'm on my last 4mm stretch right now.

current config:

Front Size:
18" 225/45-18

Rear Size:
18"
255/40-18

edit: was thinking about " PILOT SPORT A/S 3+ (W- OR Y-SPEED RATED)"

Thank you very much and Happy Holidays !
Reading this thread, you asked for an All Season non-runflat recommendation for winter and some folks are asking you to consider dedicated winter tires. I'm in NJ, so same climate as NYC. I was considering the same questions a year ago.

Here's maybe a different perspective for your consideration.

What I hear you saying is that you've made a decision to drive on All Seasons year round, something that I always assumed that I would do. But it made me think last year when someone who I respect wrote "All Seasons are always a compromise. Good at everything, but the best at nothing." In my mods, I have often chosen what I consider to be the best, rather than compromise. I thought maybe I should be more open minded about tires.

Last spring I bought my first set of dedicated summer tires, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. Not to be overly dramatic but it opened up a whole different perspective for me. Just an amazing experience to drive on tires that glue to the road and allow the car to accelerate around turns to take full advantage of the suspension mods that were done. Plus they soak up rough roads and city potholes to make run flats seem like old wooden wagon wheels.

I intended to put the old runflats on this winter with the justification that they have some tread left, and we don't get much snow. But I investigated snow tires and winter snow statistics. We actually have on average 20+ days of driving on snow in an average winter and icy roads add a lot more to that number. Now that I've completed a lot of mods, I really really love driving this car. It's my wife's and my daily driver.

So many guys have been posting part outs after their cars have been totaled in an accident. I didn't want that to be me if I cheaped out by trying to squeeze a winter out of old runflats. I would really be kicking myself. So I just put on a set of dedicated winter Michelin X-ICE Xi3's. Now my family is best protected and safe when driving this winter, and so is the car that I love so much!

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2019, 05:18 AM   #18
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Quote:
Well, I'm in NYC ... Then again, the amount of salt we get sprayed here is just downright criminal !!
Thank you guys !
Not to thread jack, but...
It is a crime. Lately, if it snows in Chicago, we get salted in NYC
We get more inches of salt than snow here. Everyone loves to spread those poisonous corrosives, hey?

Pls call your rep or 311.

Murf
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 07:23 AM   #19
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 330ixT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
OP did not mention winter. He asked about best all season go flat tires for his staggered set up.
You just repeated what I said.

That's amazing.

I'm going to take your post and make it mine now.

OP did not mention winter. He asked about best all season go flat tires for his staggered set up.[/

That's amazing.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 07:26 AM   #20
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
Well, I'm in NYC ... we barely get any snow, and when we do - it lasts for a day or two tops (unless a major blizzard/storm). Then again, the amount of salt we get sprayed here is just downright criminal !! But occasionally I would need to dig myself out of places - so there it is, this is where AS aspect comes from.

Thank you guys !
DWS is definitely your best bet. The way it is around here, worst case you have to drive to work in a few inches. By lunch time, the roads are clear. Works great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Reading this thread, you asked for an All Season non-runflat recommendation for winter and some folks are asking you to consider dedicated winter tires. I'm in NJ, so same climate as NYC. I was considering the same questions a year ago.

What I hear you saying is that you've made a decision to drive on All Seasons year round, something that I always assumed that I would do. But it made me think last year when someone who I respect wrote "All Seasons are always a compromise. Good at everything, but the best at nothing." In my mods, I have often chosen what I consider to be the best, rather than compromise. I thought maybe I should be more open minded about tires.

Last spring I bought my first set of dedicated summer tires, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. Not to be overly dramatic but it opened up a whole different perspective for me. Just an amazing experience to drive on tires that glue to the road and allow the car to accelerate around turns to take full advantage of the suspension mods that were done. Plus they soak up rough roads and city potholes to make run flats seem like old wooden wagon wheels.

I intended to put the old runflats on this winter with the justification that they have some tread left, and we don't get much snow. But I investigated snow tires and winter snow statistics. We actually have on average 20+ days of driving on snow in an average winter and icy roads add a lot more to that number. Now that I've completed a lot of mods, I really really love driving this car. It's my wife's and my daily driver.

So many guys have been posting part outs after their cars have been totaled in an accident. I didn't want that to be me if I cheaped out by trying to squeeze a winter out of old runflats. I would really be kicking myself. So I just put on a set of dedicated winter Michelin X-ICE Xi3's. Now my family is best protected and safe when driving this winter, and so is the car that I love so much!

Hope this helps.
Let's be real though. It's not always practical to have separate summer and winter tires. We can still experience great performance on all-seasons. And in the grand scheme of things, winter tires perform worse than all-seasons in a lot of scenarios. I'd rather not worry about having random warmer winter days with winter tires on and experience the worse braking/turning performance when they are above their operating temps. Even on cold days without snow, the winter tires will typically perform worse.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 08:21 AM   #21
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
Quote:

Thank you guys !
DWS is definitely your best bet. The way it is around here, worst case you have to drive to work in a few inches. By lunch time, the roads are clear. Works great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post

Hope this helps.
Let's be real though. It's not always practical to have separate summer and winter tires. We can still experience great performance on all-seasons. And in the grand scheme of things, winter tires perform worse than all-seasons in a lot of scenarios. I'd rather not worry about having random warmer winter days with winter tires on and experience the worse braking/turning performance when they are above their operating temps. Even on cold days without snow, the winter tires will typically perform worse.
Obviously it all depends on a person's goals. My goals changed a year ago, so the practicality of having one set of tires vs two is now a much lower priority to me than having the best tire mounted for great summer fun driving conditions, and also the best tire mounted for the worst winter weather conditions. Also not a priority for me was a random warm winter day since overall road conditions are obviously safer in that situation. It's not bumper cars in the roadway, like in a snowstorm.

My winter tire goal focused on having the best tire for the worst conditions on the worst winter days in our area, when my wife or me will find ourselves having to deal with driving on black ice (which is one of the scariest freakin things in the world) or in a snowstorm where you can barely see. I'm confident that the Michelin X-ICE Xi3 winter tires are the best that we could have on our car under those tough circumstances.

My priorities were that I didn't want just good or just great any longer. I wanted the best for safety if we found ourselves stuck in the position of having to drive under the worst conditions. Everyone sets their own priorities and that's where mine are right now.
Appreciate 2
      12-20-2019, 08:32 AM   #22
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Real happy with Conti DWS 06. Will probably get another set once my current wears out.

They are a great looking tire, wear well (rotated) and have gotten me to the ski resorts in the Lake Tahoe area dozens of times.
Appreciate 0