2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Steering , self center issues

01-27-2020, 06:16 PM   #1
mikifaca
Registered
Rep
Drives: F11

Steering , self center issues

Hello, I have an F11 2015 530D XDrive
I have issues with the steering as it wont self center at low
speeds for example when I am parking. Everytime at very low speed
I have to straight up the steering by myself.
The other thing beside bad self centering is that steering wheel does not self center smooth but it stops during that process of self centering.
I can also feel during driving that when I steer just slightly from one side to another with light power from my hands that the steering is not smooth and even.

The car has been in for a steering rack change a 6-7 months ago, but it has not solved the problem.

I have driven many other cars and when you release the steering it straghts up immediately and you have to hold the wheel if you want to keep the turn, but here if I release the wheel it holds the turn and I have to use my power to straight it up.

Has anyone experienced the same or knows what the problem may be?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 08:47 PM   #2
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikifaca View Post

The car has been in for a steering rack change a 6-7 months ago, but it has not solved the problem. ...
Who did the install? I would suspect a bad rack or improper installation. New parts can be bad out of the box.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 05:21 AM   #3
mikifaca
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Who did the install? I would suspect a bad rack or improper installation. New parts can be bad out of the box.
The car is still under new car warranty (5years/200000km), so I always drive to the nearest Bmw service here where I live and they changed steering rack.
After changing steering rack they did wheel alignement 3 times as I complained after each time as the car always pulled to the right while driving. But they said it was in the limits of Bmw. While driving on vacation and highway I could not drive over 100km/h as it vibrated and I was mad because they said everything is OK now.
Then while I was on vacation I did wheel alignement at the other Bmw service and they saw that each wheel was in the red zone by far.
The car was dream to drive again with no vibration but it did not eliminate problem with bad self centering.
Thats why I can not trust service workshops here where I live and when they say something is ok when its not. When they can not do wheel alignement as it should be how can you trust them on the other thing like the steering now. Thats why I ask here if its normal or not, anyone who has the same car or something.

And when you mention impromer installation, they managed to ruin the totally new part during installation, also something down there with steering. So I am not confident that the other parts they have changed is ok either.
I wonder if its some adjustmends to be made when you install new steering rack or something or is it just to be replaced.

Last edited by mikifaca; 01-28-2020 at 05:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 08:58 AM   #4
Unspec
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 535xi

If the car is under warranty still, just keep sending it to the dealership until they fix it. I'd send it to the one who fixed your alignment issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 11:27 AM   #5
mikifaca
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unspec View Post
If the car is under warranty still, just keep sending it to the dealership until they fix it. I'd send it to the one who fixed your alignment issue.
I also would like to send it there but it was outside Norway (it was Bavaria in
Beograd), and the warranty is only in Norway. So if I was going to fix car there
I would have to pay on my own and its a little bit stupid when I still have warranty.
I have 3 months left of the warranty and will drive it here again (where they changed steering rack) 6th February and then see what they say.
Iam afraid they will say everything its ok.
I had it yesterday in for check at the other Bmw workshop(Sandven AS) and they test drove it and they kind of were agree with me
that self centering is slow but they didnt found anything wrong.

That is why I ask here on forum if its normal on that specific car but I dont think its normal.
I am afraid that I am sitting with a fault that they can not find out, same as with wheel alignement when they said everything is ok but it was not.

Last edited by mikifaca; 01-28-2020 at 12:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 10:28 AM   #6
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
There's a flash the dealer can perform to the electric steering to help with corrections. I had it done several years ago forgot what the flash is called. Hit up the service department and ask about it.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 04:20 PM   #7
medion84
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw E39 530d bmw E70 x5 40d

did you get the problem fixed?

hello i have an X5 with active steering and as i read in your post it seems like we have the same problem.
I wonder if you got it fixed and what did they do?
i dont have any warranty left and I dont want to change any parts that i dont need obvious.
Appreciate 0