E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Does anyone know if .....

01-28-2020, 01:03 PM   #1
leezy1968
Rep
Drives: 320 touring

Does anyone know if .....

hi im new to the forum and i have a 2008 320D E91 Automatic With N47D20A Engine

now i got this car running fine it had the timing chains doe ect.

i gave it a garage to remove the EGR and swirl flaps

i went to pick the car up and it ran like a bag off shite

he owner wasn't there so and his son was a bit blank on the matter so i took it thinking maybe it needed the EGR Delete doing

anyway i didn't get far and it was knocking its nuts off so i took it back towing it of course and after a few days the guy at the garage said it picked up on the crank, or did it...my guess he killed it as i went london in it the day before and it ran great..

anyway my question is can i fit a different engine into the car that would drop straight in with much trouble as they are a poor engine and the price they want for a second hand one is a joke.

i was hoping the M47 might go in as there a lot cheaper and a better engine i think after they have had the swirls done ect

if anyone could shed any light on if i could swap out the engine for something other than the N47 Id be much grateful

the mechanic i have known many years so to save any arguments with the engine problem we agreed if i get an engine he would fit it.

thanks

Last edited by leezy1968; 01-28-2020 at 01:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 01:40 PM   #2
TunafishE93
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

The tranny is GA6HP19Z which is used for lots of engines. The issues would be different mounting locations and computer/electronics. With enough money anything possible..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 01:55 PM   #3
leezy1968
Rep

oh doesn't sound to promising then especially with some of the mechanics i know
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 02:16 PM   #4
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Unless you know someone good with ECUs and coding, you're going to have a whole mess of fun with anything other than the original engine.

The N47 isn't a bad engine, except the chains (which are still SO much better than many engines); it just needs to be maintained properly. Why did you want the EGR and swirl flaps removed originally?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 02:51 PM   #5
leezy1968
Rep

well it was with what i read on the internet plus i know EGR can be a pain at times and my foolish brother said get them done, they probably didn't need doing to be honest but just as with the m47 i thought they would give similar problems on the flaps.

but i hear from a local engine rebuild place that the N47 cranks are only fit for the bin when they get them, plus i here the oil pumps are not so clever ect and the chain problem they have, so don't sound the best engine. i have a 330D and thats miles better engine.

some of the older BM engines im sure there better than the N47

shame its not such an easy swap, i guy told me as long as i get a ally block from a 2007 it should be ok as there all forward facing engines but im not sure if he said the fuel pump might be in a different place. im sure he said fuel and not oil. but i didn't think they made the M47 with ally block. its not easy trying to get the correct info on cars these days...

im not a mechanic im just trying to find a better way of getting the car back on the road without having to but an over priced N47 back in it...

Last edited by leezy1968; 01-28-2020 at 03:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 03:53 PM   #6
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Is your 330d an M57 or N57?

I agree, I don't think the M47 was made with an aluminium block...but I could be wrong. The M57 was, but only in its final iteration (TU2).

The thing is, if you fit an M47, I don't think it'll wire straight up to the N47 ECU. That means transplanting in the M47 ECU, which means you need to get that working with the rest of the car too. For example, the DDE talks to the CAS to authorise starting the engine... It should be possible to make it all happen, but I'm sure it'll be more complex than just plugging everything in. Otherwise I don't think you'd have significant problems fitting an M47 engine; the mechanicals are all basically identical (mounts, gearbox, etc).

Honestly, I think you're best going with an N47 again. The fact that it'll be out of the car will give you/your mechanic a good opportunity to do some preventative maintenance on the weaker points; chains/tensioners, mainly. And I think you'll just get caught up in headaches with ECUs, compatibility, and coding if you go for the M47...again, I could be wrong.

If you do go for the N47, make sure you get one from after January 2009; that's really important. The pre-Jan 2009 engines had faults on their crank sprockets for the timing chain, which meant that they could eat through the lower timing chain, and there's no way to replace the sprocket without replacing the entire crank, and everything that involves. Obviously later build date and lower miles are generally good. If you do replace the chains/tensioners, be sure to get the latest parts from Cotswold BMW (see UK Classified subforum here); there are a number of iterations on the parts, some were still being changed as late as 2013 I think.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 04:49 PM   #7
leezy1968
Rep

thanks mate for that, i do know a guy who is good with programing ect but like someone said earlier it could get messy. its just when you get a second hand n47 you have to spend more money on it because of the chains, i here there is 3 chains .?

how will i know its after 2009..?

sounds a better engine thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 04:52 PM   #8
leezy1968
Rep

oh sorry the 330 im not sure about, its a 55 plate E90 Auto
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 05:07 PM   #9
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Only way I know is by checking the VIN of the donor car. There may be identifiers on the block (or elsewhere), but I'm not familiar with them.

Yes, 3 chains:
1 from crank down to oil pump. No guides or tensioner.
1 from crank to fuel pump. 2 guides and a tensioner.
1 from fuel pump to camshaft. 2 guides and a tensioner.

I've done chains on a 100k mile 118d (N47, same parts), and I replaced:
All plastic parts
Both upper chains
Top tensioner
Fuel pump sprocket

The lower tensioner isn't prone to failure, and I had no concerns about the oil pump drive. YMMV, though. If in doubt, replace it. It's cheap insurance.

I think your 330 is the M57 TU. Might be TU2. Such a nice engine. Seriously lazy, but smooth and reliable.
Appreciate 0