E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E93 n54 warning light issues

02-05-2020, 03:18 PM   #1
Friedmike
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E93

E93 n54 warning light issues

I have a 2007 E93 N54 that has been running worry and warning light free for some time. However, last week, three warning lights all went on at once. The ABS light, the BRAKE light and the TRACTION CONTROL light. I’ve checked the codes using both a generic and an Altel reader. Here are the codes: A731 - JBE, 6054 - RDC Left Front Wheel electronics, 6057 - right rear wheel electronics, 2E8D - DME Intelligent Battery Sensor, AND 2AAF - DME Fuel Pump Plausibility. I reset the codes and they came back a day later. Then the next day they were gone and came back for two days shortly after. Gone again and on now. Has anyone experience anything similar and have any ideas what it may be? I’ve tried the steering wheel calibration that some people recommended and that didn’t do anything. Battery is showing 14.v. Looking for some recommendations on where to start troubleshooting. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 03:35 PM   #2
TunafishE93
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

14V running is low.. 14V not running is high.. I would start at battery.. Some questions when does the warning lights pop up? When starting? When driving? Certain speeds? Accelerating/decelerating?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 03:48 PM   #3
Friedmike
United_States
Rep

thanks for the quick reply. 14.1 or 14.2 running. as to your other question, while the lights have come once when starting it is usually after accelerating. i'll pay more attention to speeds and any other conditions as well and report back.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 03:51 PM   #4
TunafishE93
Major
Rep

I would like to see ~14.7V running but it varies at times.. What your volts with car not running after sitting for a couple of hours?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 04:34 PM   #5
kwatkins12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB 15 M4

Does your power steering feel the same? Also check brake wear sensors one of mine malfunctioned and said 255% life which triggered a few.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 06:30 PM   #6
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedmike View Post
... 2007 E93 N54... last week, three warning lights all went on at once. The ABS light, the BRAKE light and the TRACTION CONTROL light.
codes: A731; 6054; 6057; 2E8D; & 2AAF... I reset the codes and they came back a day later. Then the next day they were gone and came back for two days shortly after. Gone again and on now. [?]...
Strange that your warning lights do NOT match the codes you posted. The ABS, BRAKE & DSC warning lights are what one normally sees when there is an issue with a Wheel SPEED Sensor or its wiring (NOT a Tire Pressure Sensor). Those three Warning Lights normally relate to the DSC, yet you have NO DSC Module Code (posted).

1) Do you have TPMS with metal valve stems, or FTM with rubber valve stems?

2) Has anyone worked in either Left-Front or Right-Rear wheel well recently, such as changing Brake Pad Sensors?

3) Have you had a "Yellow Tire" or "Red Tire" Warning Light on the Instrument Cluster since the other lights appeared?

4) Do you have a "!" in a yellow triangle to the right of the Gear Indicator on the Instrument Cluster, and if so, what is the CC-ID code number (e.g. 149)?

With TPMS, when I have tested by deflating a tire, I just get the "Yellow Tire" Icon on the Instrument Cluster. Perhaps driving for a few miles sets the warning lights YOU are seeing. The Right-Rear Fault Information sheet seems to indicate that if NO SIGNAL from that wheel is received after driving for 18 minutes the fault is set. That is different from RDC Module receiving Low Pressure value from a wheel Pressure Sensor.

Here are the Definitions of your 5 codes per BMW Fault Code Lookup, and they generally are what your definitions were. Four of the 5 codes (all but the JBE code) had "Fault Information" sheets (View) on Lookup, and those sheets (with details including "Service Notes"). Those four sheets are linked following the respective Code Definition:
A731 | JBE: Supply, terminal 30g-f | jbbf87

6054 | RDC: Wheel electronics, front left | rdc_60 | Tyre pressure control
http://www.bmwfault.codes/XMLDiagVie...MAMwA3ADAANAA=

6057 | RDC: Wheel electronics, rear right | rdc_60 | Tyre pressure control
http://www.bmwfault.codes/XMLDiagVie...MAOQA3ADAANAA=

2E8D | DME: Intelligent battery sensor, signal transmission | msd80 | Engine electronics
http://www.bmwfault.codes/XMLDiagVie...AAMAA2ADAANAA=

2AAF | DME: Fuel pump, plausibility | msd80 | Engine electronics
http://www.bmwfault.codes/XMLDiagVie...IAMQA3ADAANAA=

My interpretation of the two RDC codes for LF and RR wheels: in each respective wheel well, either the pressure sensor batteries inside the wheel are failing, OR the Transmitters in those wheel wells, OR their associated wiring have issues. Since you have cleared the codes already the Freeze Frame Data that would have indicated the mileage/km at which each of the two codes was saved on the first occasion is NO LONGER available. I presume you did NOT retrieve & save that data the first time you cleared the RDC codes?

If the Instrument Cluster warning lights go off by themselves sometimes, that would seem to indicate an intermittent issue. Unless someone worked on the brakes or such just before the issue began, it is MOST likely that the issue is caused by failing batteries in the Wheel Pressure Sensors.

ANYONE experienced that issue who can tell us if warning lights came on intermittently BEFORE staying on continuously? Can a tire shop test STRENGTH of signal, or just presence/absence of signal?

I haven't seen much Definite Information about this issue in several years on the Forums, so please give us as much information as you can, with updates.

The JBE Bistable Relay 30g_f code may be related to the IBS code; NEITHER appear related to the Warning Lights on Instrument Cluster or RDS codes discussed above. Your post is NOT clear as to which codes recur at the same time, so please try to determine WHICH of the 5 codes recur, if they recur at SAME Mileage/km (Freeze Frame Data), and also check WHICH Instrument Cluster Warning Lights appear together, and if possible, immediately check to see what codes are present.

The DME Code for Fuel Pump Plausibility appears unrelated to ANY of the other codes.

In summary, Diagnostics is like solving a puzzle, crime scene investigation, connecting the dots, etc., and the first rule is ALWAYS record all Fault Code information your Scan Tool or Software is capable of viewing, INCLUDING Freeze Frame Data, which is a "Snapshot" of conditions, including Odometer reading, when each fault code was saved. Depending upon the system or Module in which the code is saved, the conditions may be Engine Temp, Load, RPM, etc. or in others, System Voltage, Terminal Voltage, or other Values. Mileage/km at which the code was saved in Module Memory is particularly helpful when MULTIPLE faults occur, to show if they are related. The FIRST step is gain a good understanding of WHAT DATA is or MIGHT be saved in Module Memory, and then 2nd, thinking of how to use and interpret that data.

Thanks,
George
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 06:36 AM   #7
Friedmike
United_States
Rep

Wow - thanks for all the paths to explore. this is great stuff. battery voltage when off is 12.1. put battery on trickle charge last night. this morning turned on vehicle and all lights gone. just got back from dunkin donuts run. drove it hard, accelerated hard trying to recreate the behavior where lights returned previously. nothing returned. i will read codes again in an hour or so and report back as to which codes remain. a few other items - power steering feels the same. certainly not anything noticeably different. haven't had brakes or tires worked on during the period in question. will also try deflating/inflating tire in question to see if sensor is functioning per normal. TPMS stems on all 4 wheels. will start coming through other questions as well. awesome info everyone.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 09:15 AM   #8
TunafishE93
Major
Rep

12.1V is a dead battery.. Fixed that or you will be chasing ghosts..
Appreciate 0