E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2011 bmw 328i brake/abs/drive control/ and intermittent air bag light on

02-05-2020, 04:36 PM   #1
Makoa6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i E90 MT6spd 4door

2011 bmw 328i brake/abs/drive control/ and intermittent air bag light on

attached is a picture of the error lights on this 2011 bmw 328i. I have used INPA to scan for codes, and at first, there were a ton of codes. So i captured the codes and then erase them. Took car out for test drive and lights came back on. I rescan the codes and these are the present codes I'm getting.
DSC 5DA3 5D93 which refers to the front left and right wheel speed sensors. I also have code CAS A0B5 and code FRM A8B7 9CB3. After researching, it looks like these codes are related??? I also took off the left and right front wheel sensors and inspected it. They both looked clean. I've read posts about people getting other codes in relation to the ABS module being the culprit of there lights. I've also read of people with bad wheel sensors that fixed the problem too. INPA points to both front wheel sensors. My question is, could the ABS module be the culprit too? I was going to test the sensors with a multi meter, but I just ordered the sensors. I'm hoping that this is the problem, but how likely could two front wheel sensors go bad? I hope that this isnt the ABS module. If it is, I read that people send their ABS module/pump unit out to get it rebuilt and sent back. they also talk about pulling codes before sending... anyone can touch on these issues and pulling codes??? help please. thank you in advance for helping and responding. much appreciated.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 04:43 PM   #2
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

My first thought is the battery or the wheel sensors, neither are particularly expensive.
      02-05-2020, 04:45 PM   #3
Makoa6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
My first thought is the battery or the wheel sensors, neither are particularly expensive.
would INPA show error code for a bad battery? I also checked the battery voltage and it was 12.5v with vehicle off.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 08:19 PM   #4
TunafishE93
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

If you still have agm battery than 12.5V a little low and further testing (load) would be appropriate.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 11:37 AM   #5
Makoa6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunafishE93 View Post
If you still have agm battery than 12.5V a little low and further testing (load) would be appropriate.
hmm? ok. so i should measure voltage at the battery while cranking...
I should have measured while running also?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 11:59 AM   #6
TunafishE93
Major
Rep

You can do that and see how low it goes but I meant a proper load test..
https://carnesmechanical.com/how-to-...n-agm-battery/
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 02:48 PM   #7
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makoa6 View Post
... 2011 bmw 328i. I have used INPA to scan for codes [if you have INPA, let me know and I can suggest some additional steps beyond "Functional Jobs" that will yield MUCH more Diagnostic Information]... present codes I'm getting: DSC 5DA3 5D93...CAS A0B5 and code FRM A8B7 9CB3.
If you have INPA, Connect to the DSC Module as follows:
In LEFT ListBox, Scroll Down to "Chassis", Press Tab to Navigate to RIGHT ListBox, Scroll Down to "Dynamic Stability Control" & Press Enter. You are NOW at DSC Main Menu (Hauptmenu).
To View Fault Memory with Details in DSC:
Select F4 Fault Memory (Fehlerspeicher), and then F1 Read Fault Memory (Fehlerspeicher Lesen).

You should NOW see ALL faults which have NOT been cleared from Fault Memory, along with Definitions and Details, much of which is probably in German. Don't despair if "you don't speak German" (du sprichst nicht Deutsch). I don't either but Google Translate gives you better translation and more accurate info than you'll get from most websites, unfortunately including most BMW forums.

DON'T take a picture of the screen with your camera or phone. Use Shft+PrtSc to save an image of your INPA screen to working memory in your computer, Paste image to Paint or other Photo Editor and SaveAs jpg file which you can later view for your own reference, or post here for help/ translation if it's all just too much.

You can do the SAME for the CAS Module & FRM Module, either now or later, but I would suggest doing above for DSC NOW. You will NOTE that your DSC Module Variant appears on the top-left of the Screen when you connect.

My interpretation of your data above is that it is likely that the first four codes ARE related, but the last (Right Brake Light Fault) is NOT. If ALL Warning Lights & faults appeared at the SAME mileage/km (INPA will answer that in Fault Details) then it is likely that there is an issue in wiring or connectors associated with the DSC and the Front Wheel Speed Sensors which are connected to the DSC. Here are the BMW Fault Code Lookup Definitions for the 5 Faults you have posted:

5DA3 | DSC: Wheel-speed sensor: plausibility, front right | dsc_85
5D93 | DSC: Wheel-speed sensor, plausibility, front left | dsc_85
A0B5 | CAS: Fault, road speed signal | cas
9CB3 | FRM: Ride-height sensor, front, faulty | frm_70
A8B7 | FRM: Brake light, right, faulty | frm_70

A certain Fault Code/Hex-code may mean ONE thing in ONE Module Variant, and something ELSE ENTIRELY in another Variant of the same Module, so simply posting a 4-digit Hex-code CAN be misleading and result in a completely bogus Diagnosis. You appear to know how to use INPA > Functional Jobs > F4 Read Fault Memory, ALL Modules. Try Functional Jobs > F2 Identification to see a list of ALL Modules (~ 20+) in your vehicle, and NOTE the Fourth Column, headed "SGBD". That column shows the VARIANT of each module. You should save that Screen for reference in the future so you KNOW what Modules/ Variants your vehicle has installed.

Finally, if you consult TIS, you will find the circuit for the DSC Module linked below, which shows the wiring for the Wheel Speed Sensors connected to the DSC Module, and the Speed signal output (F_DFAHR) to DME, and the signal output (S_BLS) to the FRM for Ride Height Sensor Control.
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ol-dsc/iB2MO5O

I do NOT know the wiring harness related to front wheel sensors well enough to know if there is any location common to BOTH sensors that should be inspected. I would at least start at the Connector X18303 and see if there is any issue with the wires/ pins/ sockets at pins #33 & 34; or pins #45 & 46.
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e90-328i-lim/RJPFfg1

Please let us know what you find,
George

Last edited by gbalthrop; 02-06-2020 at 02:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 04:40 PM   #8
Makoa6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
If you have INPA, Connect to the DSC Module as follows:
In LEFT ListBox, Scroll Down to "Chassis", Press Tab to Navigate to RIGHT ListBox, Scroll Down to "Dynamic Stability Control" & Press Enter. You are NOW at DSC Main Menu (Hauptmenu).
To View Fault Memory with Details in DSC:
Select F4 Fault Memory (Fehlerspeicher), and then F1 Read Fault Memory (Fehlerspeicher Lesen).

You should NOW see ALL faults which have NOT been cleared from Fault Memory, along with Definitions and Details, much of which is probably in German. Don't despair if "you don't speak German" (du sprichst nicht Deutsch). I don't either but Google Translate gives you better translation and more accurate info than you'll get from most websites, unfortunately including most BMW forums.

DON'T take a picture of the screen with your camera or phone. Use Shft+PrtSc to save an image of your INPA screen to working memory in your computer, Paste image to Paint or other Photo Editor and SaveAs jpg file which you can later view for your own reference, or post here for help/ translation if it's all just too much.

You can do the SAME for the CAS Module & FRM Module, either now or later, but I would suggest doing above for DSC NOW. You will NOTE that your DSC Module Variant appears on the top-left of the Screen when you connect.

My interpretation of your data above is that it is likely that the first four codes ARE related, but the last (Right Brake Light Fault) is NOT. If ALL Warning Lights & faults appeared at the SAME mileage/km (INPA will answer that in Fault Details) then it is likely that there is an issue in wiring or connectors associated with the DSC and the Front Wheel Speed Sensors which are connected to the DSC. Here are the BMW Fault Code Lookup Definitions for the 5 Faults you have posted:

5DA3 | DSC: Wheel-speed sensor: plausibility, front right | dsc_85
5D93 | DSC: Wheel-speed sensor, plausibility, front left | dsc_85
A0B5 | CAS: Fault, road speed signal | cas

A certain Fault Code/Hex-code may mean ONE thing in ONE Module Variant, and something ELSE ENTIRELY in another Variant of the same Module, so simply posting a 4-digit Hex-code CAN be misleading and result in a completely bogus Diagnosis. You appear to know how to use INPA > Functional Jobs > F4 Read Fault Memory, ALL Modules. Try Functional Jobs > F2 Identification to see a list of ALL Modules (~ 20+) in your vehicle, and NOTE the Fourth Column, headed "SGBD". That column shows the VARIANT of each module. You should save that Screen for reference in the future so you KNOW what Modules/ Variants your vehicle has installed.

Finally, if you consult TIS, you will find the circuit for the DSC Module linked below, which shows the wiring for the Wheel Speed Sensors connected to the DSC Module, and the Speed signal output (F_DFAHR) to DME, and the signal output (S_BLS) to the FRM for Ride Height Sensor Control.
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ol-dsc/iB2MO5O

I do NOT know the wiring harness related to front wheel sensors well enough to know if there is any location common to BOTH sensors that should be inspected. I would at least start at the Connector X18303 and see if there is any issue with the wires/ pins/ sockets at pins #33 & 34; or pins #45 & 46.
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e90-328i-lim/RJPFfg1

George

I read several articles, one mentioning that it could be a faulty abs module, another says wheel speed sensors, and another one saying battery...
how likely would it be 2 front speed sensors that go bad?
I will try and hook up to inpa and see what i find again.
thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 04:53 PM   #9
TunafishE93
Major
Rep

Test your battery.. This causes alot of random errors.. You resting voltage is a little low for a AGM battery.. This is easy and cost nothing, take to auto store.. If that's not the issue then you can check that off the list.. Or you can just start buying stuff...
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 05:24 PM   #10
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

There are two sensors, one at the front left and the other at the right rear.
      02-06-2020, 05:29 PM   #11
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
There are ABS Wheel Speed Sensors at all FOUR (4) wheels. You are correct that the Brake Pad Wear Sensors are at LF & RR inboard pads, but the Fault Codes reported are for Wheel Speed Sensors, RF & LF.

George
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 05:32 PM   #12
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunafishE93 View Post
Test your battery.. This causes alot of random errors.. You resting voltage is a little low for a AGM battery.. This is easy and cost nothing, take to auto store.. If that's not the issue then you can check that off the list.. Or you can just start buying stuff...
I would suggest these two first.

Battery recharge costs you nothing. Make sure the alt is ok, but honestly, I've seen dips in voltage like that before and it can be just the drive of the week (in traffic, short distances with stereo and air on, etc). Check the battery status can even be done at a few auto parts stores if you lack the tools. CAS always goes screwy with low battery.

Next check the two ride height and wheel speed sensors. The wheel speed sensors are related to the ABS and just having one go bad or get jostled loose can throw errors. They are a cheap part ($15) to throw money at before assuming it's the full DSC.

If it's the ABS pump/system then look for a junkyard and see if you can swap the pump side only and leave the control the same. Should cost you less and you don't have to worry about recoding/resyncing. Ebay has other used ones for $120 or so...much less than new (and probably good enough).
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 06:18 PM   #13
Makoa6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
I would suggest these two first.

Battery recharge costs you nothing. Make sure the alt is ok, but honestly, I've seen dips in voltage like that before and it can be just the drive of the week (in traffic, short distances with stereo and air on, etc). Check the battery status can even be done at a few auto parts stores if you lack the tools. CAS always goes screwy with low battery.

Next check the two ride height and wheel speed sensors. The wheel speed sensors are related to the ABS and just having one go bad or get jostled loose can throw errors. They are a cheap part ($15) to throw money at before assuming it's the full DSC.

If it's the ABS pump/system then look for a junkyard and see if you can swap the pump side only and leave the control the same. Should cost you less and you don't have to worry about recoding/resyncing. Ebay has other used ones for $120 or so...much less than new (and probably good enough).
the first one refers to brake wear sensor, this is totally different from the error codes im getting. The error codes im getting in INPA for the DSC is for the 2 front wheel speed sensors.

I've had a friend taken a battery to the auto store before, only for them to say his battery was good, and after much trouble he called me up to check it out. My diagnosis was bad battery. he replaced it and it was a bad battery. I just hook up the multi meter and check the charging/cranking/ and resting battery voltage to know if battery is okay... if there is another way. let me know.
the code also would point to a bad abs module, not so much the pump in my opinion. But usually the error code would read a different error code etc..
thanks for the write up and suggestions. I've ordered wheel sensors since they are the cheapest. in the mean time I will check the battery again. if those dont work, i will look towards the abs module. I think the programming part is just setting the VIN number to that module? and i think this can be done with other software I have with INPA like insta or ....dummy(BMW program). I'm not at home so im not sure what its called...
thanks again. I currently searching on how to code the module. anyone knows?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 06:45 PM   #14
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I read several articles, one mentioning that it could be a faulty abs module, another says wheel speed sensors, and another one saying battery...how likely would it be 2 front speed sensors that go bad?
I will try and hook up to inpa and see what i find again.
thanks for your help.
It is NOT statistically likely at all that wheel speed sensors on BOTH Front wheels would go bad at exactly the SAME TIME/mileage. That is why you should check the Freeze Frame Data in addition to the Fault Code Hex-code and DEFINITION. If 2,3,4 codes are saved at the SAME MILEAGE, then you try to find ONE THING that can fail to cause all of those faults at the same time.

There ARE a LOT of things that could cause the three Warning Lights you show in the photo. Rather than randomly replacing parts ($EXpensive), since you have INPA which is excellent Diagnostic Software if you take the time to learn what it can do, YOU can probably figure out what has failed, and the likelihood is it's something silly/ simple/ cheap, if you just approach it scientifically.

If you need any help connecting to the DSC Module and displaying/copying the INPA screen for Fault Codes with Definitions and Details as explained in my prior post, please let me know.

Attached is the "Wheel Speeds" Live Data Readout INPA screen for my 2007 328xi. This Screen was copied when the vehicle was STATIONARY, so ALL wheels have "0" speed, and ALL FOUR are "steht" Stationary. You will note that on the xDrive models, the DSC Module is called "DSC/DXC, but I would expect your DSC "F5 Status" Wheel Speed screen will be similar. On my 328xi, I Connect to the DSC/DXC Module and select F5 Status > F1 Analog Menu > F1 Wheel Speeds (Radgeschwindigkeit).

Best to use this with a helper who drives slowly forward & rearward in a driveway or parking lot, to see that each wheel sensor gives an appropriate speed AND Direction. If you have an intermittent problem with one or both sensors, reading Live Data can confirm that, adding to the information gained from the Fault Codes.

Just keep in mind that this MAY BE a wiring or connector issue, and NOT a part requiring replacement. As stated earlier, I would inspect the Connector at the DSC Module, X18303, for any water, corrosion, or wiring damage at/near the connector.

George
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      02-07-2020, 12:30 PM   #15
Makoa6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It is NOT statistically likely at all that wheel speed sensors on BOTH Front wheels would go bad at exactly the SAME TIME/mileage. That is why you should check the Freeze Frame Data in addition to the Fault Code Hex-code and DEFINITION. If 2,3,4 codes are saved at the SAME MILEAGE, then you try to find ONE THING that can fail to cause all of those faults at the same time.

There ARE a LOT of things that could cause the three Warning Lights you show in the photo. Rather than randomly replacing parts ($EXpensive), since you have INPA which is excellent Diagnostic Software if you take the time to learn what it can do, YOU can probably figure out what has failed, and the likelihood is it's something silly/ simple/ cheap, if you just approach it scientifically.

If you need any help connecting to the DSC Module and displaying/copying the INPA screen for Fault Codes with Definitions and Details as explained in my prior post, please let me know.

Attached is the "Wheel Speeds" Live Data Readout INPA screen for my 2007 328xi. This Screen was copied when the vehicle was STATIONARY, so ALL wheels have "0" speed, and ALL FOUR are "steht" Stationary. You will note that on the xDrive models, the DSC Module is called "DSC/DXC, but I would expect your DSC "F5 Status" Wheel Speed screen will be similar. On my 328xi, I Connect to the DSC/DXC Module and select F5 Status > F1 Analog Menu > F1 Wheel Speeds (Radgeschwindigkeit).

Best to use this with a helper who drives slowly forward & rearward in a driveway or parking lot, to see that each wheel sensor gives an appropriate speed AND Direction. If you have an intermittent problem with one or both sensors, reading Live Data can confirm that, adding to the information gained from the Fault Codes.

Just keep in mind that this MAY BE a wiring or connector issue, and NOT a part requiring replacement. As stated earlier, I would inspect the Connector at the DSC Module, X18303, for any water, corrosion, or wiring damage at/near the connector.

George
Thank you for explaining and translating those words to English. I didnt understand what they were. I will post test results and will be sure to post up what I find. Thanks again. I appreciate you taking the time to help me.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 11:58 AM   #16
Makoa6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

George
I finally was able to work on this car again and got the data to post up. see attached. I notice that the left front wheel sensor is not working. while in reverse or going forward, 3 out of 4 sensors are working. with this provided information, what would you recommend? thanks in advance for helping me George.
my thinking was to replace the front left wheel speed sensor and retest? I have already disconnected the sensor plug and looked at it previously.
Attached Images

Last edited by Makoa6; 02-13-2020 at 05:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 12:08 PM   #17
Makoa6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

George
Hi George,
I forgot to upload these as well. These are the vehicle wheel speed sensor readings. Sorry for the phone camera capture, I was by myself and driving car forward and reverse. wish I did the shift +print screen instead.
Attached Images

Last edited by Makoa6; 02-13-2020 at 05:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 09:59 PM   #18
Makoa6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

George
Hi George,

previously I posted my results as I went in to view the wheel speed sensor on my INPA tool. results showed a bad left front sensor.
Today, I changed out the front left and right sensor. I also checked all wiring from wheel speed sensors going up into vehicle and they looked good. I've also took off the ABS module wire harness and inspected and reconnected the ABS module harness which looked good. After changing out the two front sensors, I hooked up INPA and ran a live test. I have attached the live readings below which now show the left front wheel sensor reading data that matches the other three wheel speed sensors. I then cleared out the error codes and did a test drive while monitoring the live wheel speed sensor data. All error code lights have disappeared after changing out the two front wheel speed sensors and clearing error memory. I have also attached a picture of the read error code readings after I have cleared them out and test drove the car. All of the DSC, CAS error codes are gone, and the only one left present is the FRM 9CB3. I have also attached a current reading of the FRM 9CB3 error code in detail below. Looks like the senosr might be bad because its reading 0.0volts at the sensor?

Thanks for helping me and following through with this. much appreciated.
Attached Images

Last edited by Makoa6; 02-14-2020 at 10:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 10:51 PM   #19
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I finally was able to work on this car again and got the data to post up. see attached. I notice that the left front wheel sensor is not working. while in reverse or going forward, 3 out of 4 sensors are working...
Quote:
Hi George,
... These are the vehicle wheel speed sensor readings.
Good data! Congratulations on connecting to BOTH the DSC_87 and FRM_70 Modules, AND posting the ScreenPrints. Your case is a good example of WHY it is necessary to translate the DETAILS.

DSC 87 Fault Codes found in DSC Memory:
5DA3 | DSC: Wheel-speed sensor: plausibility, front right | dsc_87
5DA6 | DSC: Wheel-speed sensor: direction of rotation, front right | dsc_87

When you Read the DSC Fault Codes on Wednesday, 2/12/20 @ 10:16PM, you had Fault Codes "saved in DSC Memory" related to BOTH Speed and Direction for the RIGHT Front Wheel Speed Sensor. HOWEVER, NEITHER of those Faults were "Present" at the time you read the codes (Fehler momentan nicht [NOT] vorhanden, or Fault NOT present at moment). They had been saved when your odometer read 94432 Km or 58,677 miles.

HOWEVER, your "F5 Status Wheel Speeds" Live Data reading clearly shows the RIGHT front wheel (Vorne Rechts) Speed at 3 MPH, same as Right Rear, and Left Rear. What is "0" at the time of the Live Data Screen photo is LEFT Front or "Vorne Links" in German. The Wheel Direction readout appears to be accessed by pressing "Page Down" as indicated by the GREEN highlighted arrow on the lower-right of the INPA screen (more details ;-).

You have NOT indicated your current odometer reading, or WHEN the Live Data screen was captured, but as of Wednesday at 10:16 PM, you had NO Left Front Sensor Fault, and the Right Front Sensor Faults which had occurred at 58,677 miles were NO LONGER PRESENT.

So the data so far indicates intermittent faults in RIGHT Front Speed Sensor circuit (NOT present when read Codes on Wednesday night), and a fault present in the LEFT Front Speed Sensor Circuit at the date & time you did the Live Data screenshot.

If you have NOT looked for possible loose, corroded, or contaminated connector at the DSC Module on Left Wing/Fender, I would do that, clean pins & sockets with electronic contact cleaner, examine any wiring you can see for insulation damage. Then reassemble, Clear Codes, and see what returns, saving screens of ALL data as you did this time, and posting back.

FRM 70 Fault Codes:
NOT present on 2/12/20 reading @ 10:23PM

Fault currently present; Voltage when code saved ONLY 11.51 V

BOTH codes saved at 94432 Km or 58,677 miles. I would pass on this at the moment, as I see NO relationship to the DSC, Wheel Speed Sensor Faults, and address them AFTER correcting DSC issues. SAVE all Fault information from ScreenPrints (I have a historical folder for each Module where I save screens by date and Menu F4/F5, etc. keys). Whatever works for you. Then CLEAR ALL codes and see what comes back. Just make sure you saved ALL the FF Data & details, and didn't just read the Function Jobs Fault Code Numbers (without any details) and delete everything WITHOUT saving the details. Did I mention: "The Devil is in the DETAILS"?

George
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 04:45 PM   #20
Makoa6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good data! Congratulations on connecting to BOTH the DSC_87 and FRM_70 Modules, AND posting the ScreenPrints. Your case is a good example of WHY it is necessary to translate the DETAILS.

DSC 87 Fault Codes found in DSC Memory:
5DA3 | DSC: Wheel-speed sensor: plausibility, front right | dsc_87
5DA6 | DSC: Wheel-speed sensor: direction of rotation, front right | dsc_87

When you Read the DSC Fault Codes on Wednesday, 2/12/20 @ 10:16PM, you had Fault Codes "saved in DSC Memory" related to BOTH Speed and Direction for the RIGHT Front Wheel Speed Sensor. HOWEVER, NEITHER of those Faults were "Present" at the time you read the codes (Fehler momentan nicht [NOT] vorhanden, or Fault NOT present at moment). They had been saved when your odometer read 94432 Km or 58,677 miles.

HOWEVER, your "F5 Status Wheel Speeds" Live Data reading clearly shows the RIGHT front wheel (Vorne Rechts) Speed at 3 MPH, same as Right Rear, and Left Rear. What is "0" at the time of the Live Data Screen photo is LEFT Front or "Vorne Links" in German. The Wheel Direction readout appears to be accessed by pressing "Page Down" as indicated by the GREEN highlighted arrow on the lower-right of the INPA screen (more details ;-).

You have NOT indicated your current odometer reading, or WHEN the Live Data screen was captured, but as of Wednesday at 10:16 PM, you had NO Left Front Sensor Fault, and the Right Front Sensor Faults which had occurred at 58,677 miles were NO LONGER PRESENT.

So the data so far indicates intermittent faults in RIGHT Front Speed Sensor circuit (NOT present when read Codes on Wednesday night), and a fault present in the LEFT Front Speed Sensor Circuit at the date & time you did the Live Data screenshot.

If you have NOT looked for possible loose, corroded, or contaminated connector at the DSC Module on Left Wing/Fender, I would do that, clean pins & sockets with electronic contact cleaner, examine any wiring you can see for insulation damage. Then reassemble, Clear Codes, and see what returns, saving screens of ALL data as you did this time, and posting back.

FRM 70 Fault Codes:
NOT present on 2/12/20 reading @ 10:23PM

Fault currently present; Voltage when code saved ONLY 11.51 V

BOTH codes saved at 94432 Km or 58,677 miles. I would pass on this at the moment, as I see NO relationship to the DSC, Wheel Speed Sensor Faults, and address them AFTER correcting DSC issues. SAVE all Fault information from ScreenPrints (I have a historical folder for each Module where I save screens by date and Menu F4/F5, etc. keys). Whatever works for you. Then CLEAR ALL codes and see what comes back. Just make sure you saved ALL the FF Data & details, and didn't just read the Function Jobs Fault Code Numbers (without any details) and delete everything WITHOUT saving the details. Did I mention: "The Devil is in the DETAILS"?

George
Hi George,

You are correct in what you posted. Those live data of the vehicle wheel speed sensor readings was on 02/12/2020. This was before I changed out the two front wheel speed sensors.
Before I changed out the two front wheels speed sensors, I also checked all wiring and connections on the front wheel sensors. I also disconnected and checked the ABS module connector you mentioned to inspect. That connection was good.
After verifying all of those things, and seeing that my left front wheel speed sensor had no data reading, i proceeded to change the two front wheel speed sensors. After I changed them out, I plugged in INPA to read the live data of the wheel speed sensors. Attached is a screen print of the live data, which shows all wheel speed sensors showing data. Left front wheel speed sensor data good after changing out sensor.
I then proceeded to erase the error memory codes to see if error lights and error codes would disappear. After erasing error codes, error lights did not come back. I also scanned the car again for error codes. Also attached is the new error code that came up. This was the only one left. it has to do with the ride-height sensor. In INPA, it looks like its reading 0.0Volts. I have also took the time from learning from you and tried to translate these German words to English, as you can see on my attachment on INPA
End results-----> ABS/DSC/brake light problem solved!!! but there still is a FRM 9CB3---->ride-height sensor error still. I could start a new thread for this code... as I have been searching around on the forums for this...

Thank you for helping George. Appreciate the time you took to respond and help with this issue. Mahalos (thank you).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 05:53 PM   #21
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

sooo...is it unplugged? Honestly, sometimes those sensors get caught up or vibrate loose...or when you're pulling other parts.

That said, I HAVE had to replace a height sensor before (for seemingly no reason) -- luckily it's a cheap part. You could honestly break it pretty easily in fiddling with any of the control arms if you hadn't disconnected it first.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 09:09 PM   #22
Makoa6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
sooo...is it unplugged? Honestly, sometimes those sensors get caught up or vibrate loose...or when you're pulling other parts.

That said, I HAVE had to replace a height sensor before (for seemingly no reason) -- luckily it's a cheap part. You could honestly break it pretty easily in fiddling with any of the control arms if you hadn't disconnected it first.
I didnt get a chance to look at it yet. The car is out again. I'll look at it later. i was reading up on forums and internet about this. Trying to see where i could buy this sensor if it was the sensor. I was also going to start a new thread on this because its different then my original post...
Appreciate 0