E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Need Help!!! E92 not starting

02-07-2020, 09:03 PM   #1
mdmark180
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 335i

Need Help!!! E92 not starting

I bought an e92 from copart and it won't start. It was hit pretty bad but mechanically wise there appears to be no damage, the key was missing but I bought it from BMW, the steering wheel airbag and passenger airbag went off so I knew the bst cable went bad so I changed it and erased the code. But The car still doesn't want to start, there's no crank at all and I also got a new battery with a charge above 12.00. I also checked the cas relay with another e90 one and nothing. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 10:29 PM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Questions:
1) Is this a 335i E92, and if so, WHAT is the Build Month/Year?

2) Do you have a Scan Tool, or Software, that can read Hex-codes (BMW Fault Codes) in ALL ~ 20 Modules in the vehicle (DME, CAS, JBE, FRM, MRS, EKP, etc.)?
2a) What is the Brand & Model of that Scan Tool, or Software, such as INPA or ISTA?

3) Have you scanned for Codes in ANY Module, and if so, what Codes, Code Definitions & Details, Freeze Frame Data, etc. were read and WHEN?

4) Do you have a Multimeter? Do you have a Battery Charger?

5) What is the Voltage measured at the Jumpstart Terminals under the hood? (B+ is under red plastic cover at R firewall, and (-) Chassis Ground is "Hex-pin" at right fender/wing).

6) What is Voltage measured at the Battery Posts in the trunk?

7) If you have someone else try to engage Starter, and YOU listen over left fender at rear of Intake Manifold, as close to Starter Motor as you can get, do you hear any "click" of the Starter Solenoid trying to engage? INSIDE the car, is there ANY relay "click" from the glovebox/ JB Fuse Panel area when turn on Ignition, & try to engage Starter?

8) Do Brake Lights come on when Ignition On and press Brake Pedal?

9) If you do NOT already have INPA or ISTA BMW Diagnostic Software, do you have a Windows Laptop and the time/ interest to spend several hours downloading & installing it? Software is FREE download & K+DCAN Cable to connect USB port of Laptop to OBD II Socket of BMW costs $20 - $45. If you are going to try to resurrect a project vehicle yourself, it's a "No-Brainer." Forum members can help with install, setup and getting started.

My suggestion is do INPA now, as that is quicker & easier to download & install, and must be installed BEFORE installing ISTA. Downside is that much of it is in German, so Google Translate is required for us Anglo-types. However, you can copy INPA screens and attach jpg's here, and helpful souls can assist in Translation & "next steps".

With answers to questions above, we can suggest next steps,
George
Appreciate 0