E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > water pump or coolant?

02-09-2020, 09:11 PM   #1
Black_Valkyrie
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i

water pump or coolant?

Okay - so my water pump has been noisy since I got the car.

A week ago it threw the electric pump blockage code. I was able to put it in prime and it worked fine. It seemed to "unblock" itself so I drove it as normal. Happened again last night. Same - prime made it work so drove it home. Admittedly I never checked the coolant level (until today). Every time this happened the car was hot and was unable to open the cap.

Dealer had "certified" the vehicle claiming coolant etc was good so I had never personally looked.

Today I got into it. The coolant reservoir cap was cross threaded on and I had to use my giant channel locks to open it.

System was 3 liters low. I had to do the prime procedure twice to get it properly full and operational.

So. Cleared codes. Pump is still a little noisy but not sure if that is normal?

Is it possible the low coolant and air in the system caused the pump to shut off? Also is it possible the low coolant has killed the pump? Or is the pump possibly still good to go?

No record of pump being changed but also no record of pump not being charged.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 11:29 AM   #2
mainbearing
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

If the coolant got that low I would be concerned about the head gasket. At least it is a good sign things are running well? There has to be a serious leak if the selling dealer filled up the coolant at one time.

My water pump makes a light whining noise when running. Nothing major. Maybe your water pump and/or thermostat has problem?
Appreciate 0