E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Heavy Gas smaell in the cabin, Cyl 1 error even after replacing Coils and Plugs

02-10-2020, 02:52 PM   #1
djessence
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335is coupe

Garage List
2012 335 IS  [0.00]
Heavy Gas smaell in the cabin, Cyl 1 error even after replacing Coils and Plugs

Hi All,

I would appreciate any guidance on these issues. I have a heavy gas smell in the cabin after filling the tank from time to time. I was reading that it could be the injectors or the HPFP. Any thoughts??

Another question is i have had a Cyl 1 error, I've already changed the spark plugs and the Coils. Anything else I should be concerned with or look at before i take it in to a shop?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 12:31 PM   #2
djessence
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2012 335 IS  [0.00]
bump
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 01:13 PM   #3
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by djessence View Post
...[1] I have a heavy gas smell in the cabin after filling the tank from time to time. I was reading that it could be the injectors or the HPFP. [Do NOT read whatever you were reading -- again -- EVER ] Any thoughts??
Another question is [2] i have had a Cyl 1 error, I've already changed the spark plugs and the Coils...
[1] If you have fuel smell in cabin AFTER filling fuel tank and BEFORE starting engine (but NO fuel smell under hood, when opening hood BEFORE starting engine), HOW could that have ANYTHING to do with HPFP or Injectors??? Please give it the sniff test next time you Fill Tank, BEFORE you start engine. Does the Fuel Odor remain the next day after filling the tank and driving just a short distance? If there were a fuel leak under the hood due to HPFP or Injector supply or Injectors themselves, THAT would NOT vary dependent upon fuel level in tank.

Do you notice a fuel odor OUTSIDE the vehicle after filling tank, or when walking past the rear of the car, and if so, at WHAT location, & under WHAT conditions? If the Tank vent that vents air from the tank as fuel is filled is NOT working properly, of if you have a leaky gasket on the top of the tank, or other tank fault, fuel can spill or escape from the tank. You might remove the rear seat cushion and inspect the tank seals on either side for any sign of fuel which has leaked out.

[2] What "cylinder 1 error" do you have? What other Fault Codes do you have saved in the DME? What Scan Tool or Software are you using to read those codes?

George
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 03:34 PM   #4
djessence
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2012 335 IS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
[1] If you have fuel smell in cabin AFTER filling fuel tank and BEFORE starting engine (but NO fuel smell under hood, when opening hood BEFORE starting engine), HOW could that have ANYTHING to do with HPFP or Injectors??? Please give it the sniff test next time you Fill Tank, BEFORE you start engine. Does the Fuel Odor remain the next day after filling the tank and driving just a short distance? If there were a fuel leak under the hood due to HPFP or Injector supply or Injectors themselves, THAT would NOT vary dependent upon fuel level in tank.

Do you notice a fuel odor OUTSIDE the vehicle after filling tank, or when walking past the rear of the car, and if so, at WHAT location, & under WHAT conditions? If the Tank vent that vents air from the tank as fuel is filled is NOT working properly, of if you have a leaky gasket on the top of the tank, or other tank fault, fuel can spill or escape from the tank. You might remove the rear seat cushion and inspect the tank seals on either side for any sign of fuel which has leaked out.

[2] What "cylinder 1 error" do you have? What other Fault Codes do you have saved in the DME? What Scan Tool or Software are you using to read those codes?

George
Hi Thanks for getting back to me, the odor come from just getting near the car and its not only just after filling up, it been a few days now. When i changed my plugs i noticed my 2nd plug was a lil wet and smelled like gas which is why i thought it might be the injector leaking. I did get a recent code that says P0456 Evaporative Emission system leak detected (very small leak)
and P2098 Post Catalyst fule trim system too lean.

Would that be the the O2 Sensors? sorry im not very car savey.

The Cyl 1 issue has been resolved.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 05:58 PM   #5
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

a leak in the evap system will explain both of those usually. you have fuel vapors leaking from the tank and the engine sucking in unmetered air.

a smoke test will likely reveal your leak.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 06:04 PM   #6
djessence
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2012 335 IS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
a leak in the evap system will explain both of those usually. you have fuel vapors leaking from the tank and the engine sucking in unmetered air.

a smoke test will likely reveal your leak.
Thank you, i will have that checked. any idea where its most likely to be? shoud i replace the gas cap first to see or is that a waste of time and money?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 06:07 PM   #7
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

that's probably a waste.
the evap system literally has lines that run from the rear seat bench to the engine, so it can be anywhere under the car.
it's purpose is to feed the accumulated fuel vapors into the engine to be burned, so they are not released to atmosphere.
you smell it most after filling the car because filling the tank pushed a whole bunch of vapor out of the system because it has a leak.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 06:47 AM   #8
NinetyEight740
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2 - 2013 535i msport

Garage List
2010 E91  [0.00]
If you had a wet spark plug, it’s a sticking injector. Is there any white smoke coming out the exhaust on cold start?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 08:19 AM   #9
djessence
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2012 335 IS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
that's probably a waste.
the evap system literally has lines that run from the rear seat bench to the engine, so it can be anywhere under the car.
it's purpose is to feed the accumulated fuel vapors into the engine to be burned, so they are not released to atmosphere.
you smell it most after filling the car because filling the tank pushed a whole bunch of vapor out of the system because it has a leak.
Thank you for the info, i appreciate the insight.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 08:20 AM   #10
djessence
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2012 335 IS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinetyEight740 View Post
If you had a wet spark plug, it’s a sticking injector. Is there any white smoke coming out the exhaust on cold start?
no white smoke that i can see, i was thinking about using one of those fuel injector cleaning liquids but wanted to investigate further before i used that stuff.
Appreciate 0