E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E91 330d shut off/stalling while driving; cranking while driving

02-19-2020, 09:08 AM   #1
hensoldt
Registered
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

E91 330d shut off/stalling while driving; cranking while driving

Hello!
I tried to use google to find some similar issue for few weeks already with zero results.

Three weeks ago I've bought a 2005 E90 330d with M57 engine. The car had a minor undercarriage damage, so I had to replace AT oil pan and a side skirt.
For a few days there were no problems while driving, except the remote buttons on the fob sometimes refused to work. I guessed the problem was in the flooded diversity module.

But then while driving on a highway car just stalled and red steering wheel lock alert showed up on a cluster lcd (I don't have an iDrive or whatever it's called).
The car didn't start by pressing the start/stop button (yeah, I was on D ), and started with no problems after I parked. Then drove a car for the rest of the evening with no problems.

Next day while going for the traffic inspection checkup the engine stalled 100 meters before the inspection doors
I've tried to start the car, but it was stalling exactly 2-3 seconds after.
Car also tried to crank and start the car by itself, even when ignition was off and the key was taken out the hole.
Clearing the error codes, resetting the car by taking ground out of a battery for X minutes, pulling/pushing all the cables that are going to CAS from start/stop button and key holder didn't help.
Car was towed to the garage and successfully started without problems after about 2-3 hours. After a small test drive engine was shut off, but I was able to start it again and get to the garage.

Then there was a week of an investigations, and here is the brief summary:
- When engine is cold car starts ok and is drivable for at least 5-10 minutes.
- After 5-10 minutes of driving engine starts stalling; as more you drive then faster it stalls (in the end it's max 10-20 meters that you can drive)
- Red steering lock alert
- In 90% cases car is ok while idling
- Battery voltage is ok; car doesn't have IBS; no comfort access; tried both key fobs.

Main error codes are (they show up only after the car has shut off):
A011 CAS: Fault, ELV external powering
A0BE CAS: Terminal 15, output 1
A0BF CAS: Terminal 15, output 2
A0C0 CAS: Terminal 15, output 3
9CAB FRM: One terminal 15 missing (sometimes, not always)

The reason for stalling is that car is trying to crank/start the engine while driving!

The way I found this out is by monitoring CAS voltage while driving:
When the engine starts to lower revs you can see that Terminal 50 (starter signal) voltage is going up from zero and in a same time Terminal 15 volage is dropping down (I guess that's because starter eats too much power) that I think shuts off some other blocks (DDE?) and stalls the car.

After a bit of research and TIS reading I started suspect CAS module for the issues. But it is an expensive thing to replace, so will appreciate all the advices that can lead to a fix
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 06:31 AM   #2
hensoldt
Registered
Rep

Ok, here is an update which probably makes it even more confusing

I disconnected a connector from the throttle body and car runs great without stalling.

When I bought a car it had a throttle body fault code. I disassembled it and found out that there was one small burned line on the PCB which I fixed by soldering it over. (like on this video
)

Then I was annoyed by the squeaking noise each time I open a car or stop the engine (30-60sec squeak that disappears after) and bought a new throttle body (Pierburg one), but noise was still there (there are a lot of threads and videos in internet about this and people tend to say that it's ok?)

I have a hunch that the problem might be related to a DPF regeneration. The car stalling only when warmed up and most of the time while moving (only once happened while idling, but took
a few hours to recover). And from what I've read the car can't run dpf regeneration without TB and with an active fault code related to TB

The TB connector looks ok and I tested a circuit up to the ECU fuse box. The throttle body works ok when I shut the engine off, so it does it smoothly (opposite to a shake when TB is disconnected).

When the TB is disconnected I get the following fault codes (I don't get them otherwise):
4166 DDE: Particulate filter system, bank 1
4CF3 DDE: Exhaust backpressure sensor, bank 1 signal
43E2 DDE: Throttle-valve actuator, activation

Last edited by hensoldt; 02-24-2020 at 06:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 06:47 AM   #3
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Have you checked the fob battery, and make sure it's being charged while driving? Sounds to me that maybe it's losing communication with the fob while driving, then regaining it almost immediately and trying to restart.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 04:27 PM   #4
335i_guy22
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i

I'm having a similar issue with my bmw 335i with the N54 engine, I've been told by many people that it is the crankshaft position sensor or the fuel pump, I know its not the fuel pump because there are no lights on the dash. what did you do after the car shutoff? did it start right away or did it take 5-10 mins before it started up again
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 02:52 PM   #5
Raz01
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320 M Sport

I had my brake pads and disc changed today, after it i got the car back it keeps engaging the start stop system whenever the clutch is pressed any ideas ?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 03:03 PM   #6
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

My guess would be a wheel speed sensor. Any codes?
Appreciate 0