E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Stripped T20 screw on voltage regulator

02-23-2020, 06:45 PM   #1
drummer12
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i

Stripped T20 screw on voltage regulator

Hi all,

Been a while so hello 😀 Recently got the possessed car/low power/limp mode issue, and just figured it was the battery since it's about 4 years old and my last one gave out pretty suddenly too. Bought a new battery, coded and registered it. Fired it up - absolutely no additional voltage (either though OBD monitoring or at the battery with a multimeter). Figured it's time for a voltage regulator (because apparently Bosch alternators rarely fail beyond that part and I REALLY don't want to make this project more than it is, haha), so I take off the black cap and 3 of 4 T20 screws on the regulator itself.

Well, the last one proves to be stubborn and got totally stripped. In my genius thinking I broke off the regulator thinking it would be easier to remove, but now I'm left with a stuck screw and part of a regulator still attached 😂

Any thoughts on how to remove this screw without removing the alternator? I've heard sawing a line in the screw and using a screwdriver could work from a similar thread...just some tight space in there. I don't have a Dremel either. Thought about using an extractor bit, but wasn't sure about how much space would be needed/downforce since it's hard to get two hands in the same space (though I can do it for short periods).

Appreciate it!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 07:31 PM   #2
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Spline set?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 09:24 PM   #3
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

Ran into this issue exactly. How did u solve it. In addition, I ended up disconnecting the cooper loop from one end that is attached to a small black plastic piece. That loop is around which this stripped screw goes.

Attaching a picture of what this loop should look like with screw removed. I was wondering if the loop disconnected from one side will create any electrical issues now.
Attached Images

Last edited by Kayani_1; 09-14-2022 at 09:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2022, 12:13 AM   #4
Mikeyb101
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

I just had this same issue!!!!! I took a dremel and shaved off the head of the bolt. Then my plan was to back out the threaded stem. But. I ended up breaking the fkn copper lead off the alternator. I’m still working on a solution to that cuz I don’t wanna replace the whole alternator. It’s $60 vs $500. I think I’m just gonna get a new piece of copper attach it with some super glue and then put some steel stick around that to strengthen the bond and pray that it holds. But man this has been a hell of a headache
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2022, 12:16 AM   #5
Mikeyb101
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer12 View Post
Hi all,

Been a while so hello 😀 Recently got the possessed car/low power/limp mode issue, and just figured it was the battery since it's about 4 years old and my last one gave out pretty suddenly too. Bought a new battery, coded and registered it. Fired it up - absolutely no additional voltage (either though OBD monitoring or at the battery with a multimeter). Figured it's time for a voltage regulator (because apparently Bosch alternators rarely fail beyond that part and I REALLY don't want to make this project more than it is, haha), so I take off the black cap and 3 of 4 T20 screws on the regulator itself.

Well, the last one proves to be stubborn and got totally stripped. In my genius thinking I broke off the regulator thinking it would be easier to remove, but now I'm left with a stuck screw and part of a regulator still attached 😂

Any thoughts on how to remove this screw without removing the alternator? I've heard sawing a line in the screw and using a screwdriver could work from a similar thread...just some tight space in there. I don't have a Dremel either. Thought about using an extractor bit, but wasn't sure about how much space would be needed/downforce since it's hard to get two hands in the same space (though I can do it for short periods).

Appreciate it!
I tried putting a couple lines in it and unscrewing it. The problem I noticed is that that bolt is being held in that position by what looks like some kind of lock washer. I’m not totally sure. But I know I tried doing that and it didn’t work for me unfortunately. Maybe u will have better luck
Appreciate 0