E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E92 N52 problems

02-24-2020, 07:43 AM   #1
lahess
Rep
Drives: 2012 Bmw 328i

E92 N52 problems

So I have had an intermittent problem here lately. I have noticed that the high voltage discharge message appears a lot lately and when I full throttle my car it stutters and shakes then picks speed back up and then a check engine light comes on and at idle it is running terrible. I'll cut the car off and start it back and it runs fine the car is fully warmed up when it does it. I change my oil regularly and have not scanned the codes but there is not a check engine light on at all only when it happens any ideas on what it could be ? Anything helps thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 07:54 AM   #2
eugenecp
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lahess View Post
So I have had an intermittent problem here lately. I have noticed that the high voltage discharge message appears a lot lately and when I full throttle my car it stutters and shakes then picks speed back up and then a check engine light comes on and at idle it is running terrible. I'll cut the car off and start it back and it runs fine the car is fully warmed up when it does it. I change my oil regularly and have not scanned the codes but there is not a check engine light on at all only when it happens any ideas on what it could be ? Anything helps thanks.
have you checked on the state of your battery? it might be going bad.
Appreciate 1
lahess0.00
      02-24-2020, 07:56 AM   #3
lahess
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenecp View Post
Quote:
have you checked on the state of your battery? it might be going bad.
I have not but it is the original battery from 2012 I will look into that
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 11:01 AM   #4
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
... I have noticed that the high voltage discharge message appears a lot lately [Please describe precisely WHERE that "message" appears, what it looks like (Photo ;-) and/or what it SAYS] and when I full throttle my car it stutters and shakes then picks speed back up and then a check engine light comes on and at idle it is running terrible. [That could simply be random spark plug misfire due to old plugs with enlarged gaps] I'll cut the car off and start it back and it runs fine the car is fully warmed up when it does it. I change my oil regularly and have not scanned the codes but there is not a check engine light on at all only when it happens...
If the SES (Service Engine Soon) light appears after engine startup, that means a Fault Code has been saved in your DME (Engine Control Module) Memory. Any Fault Code saved in Memory remains there until the Fault Code is CLEARED using a Scan Tool. That Code is STILL in Memory even though the Fault is no longer Active or Present, and the SES light has gone off. We can ONLY offer specific advice if we know what Fault Code(s) are saved in your DME Memory. If you do NOT have a simple, generic, Scan Tool to read fault codes, just go to nearest Advance Auto or Autozone and they should do that for FREE.

A fault such as "misfire" which occurs at high RPM or Load is often intermittent. When the DME senses a "misfire" of any significant duration, it shuts down the injector to that cylinder, to prevent unburned fuel from being dumped into the Catalytic Converter causing an internal "Cat Fire" and damage to the catalyst. Obviously with one or more cylinders NOT firing at all, the engine will be very rough. If the DME does NOT return to Normal Injector Function in 30 to 60 seconds of low RPM operation, switching Ignition OFF, and then re-starting will restore normal function, at least until the NEXT time you do WOT acceleration in 1st & 2nd.

So just get the codes read, INCLUDING Freeze Frame Data if possible ("Snapshot" of Engine Temp, RPM, Load, Voltage, etc. at the moment the code was saved) and post that info here. Easiest/quickest way to post Scan Tool Info is to take a photo of each Tool Screen, and post that jpg/png here.

George

Last edited by gbalthrop; 02-24-2020 at 11:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 05:50 PM   #5
lahess
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Quote:
... I have noticed that the high voltage discharge message appears a lot lately [COLOR="Red"][Please describe precisely WHERE that "message" appears, what it looks like (Photo ;-) and/or what it SAYS][/COLOR] and when I full throttle my car it stutters and shakes then picks speed back up and then a check engine light comes on and at idle it is running terrible. [COLOR="red"][That could simply be random spark plug misfire due to old plugs with enlarged gaps][/COLOR] I'll cut the car off and start it back and it runs fine the car is fully warmed up when it does it. I change my oil regularly and have not scanned the codes but there is not a check engine light on at all only when it happens...
If the SES (Service Engine Soon) light appears after engine startup, that means a Fault Code has been saved in your DME (Engine Control Module) Memory. Any Fault Code saved in Memory remains there until the Fault Code is CLEARED using a Scan Tool. That Code is STILL in Memory even though the Fault is no longer Active or Present, and the SES light has gone off. We can ONLY offer specific advice if we know what Fault Code(s) are saved in your DME Memory. If you do NOT have a simple, generic, Scan Tool to read fault codes, just go to nearest Advance Auto or Autozone and they should do that for FREE.

A fault such as "misfire" which occurs at high RPM or Load is often intermittent. When the DME senses a "misfire" of any significant duration, it shuts down the injector to that cylinder, to prevent unburned fuel from being dumped into the Catalytic Converter causing an internal "Cat Fire" and damage to the catalyst. Obviously with one or more cylinders NOT firing at all, the engine will be very rough. If the DME does NOT return to Normal Injector Function in 30 to 60 seconds of low RPM operation, switching Ignition OFF, and then re-starting will restore normal function, at least until the NEXT time you do WOT acceleration in 1st & 2nd.

So just get the codes read, INCLUDING Freeze Frame Data if possible ("Snapshot" of Engine Temp, RPM, Load, Voltage, etc. at the moment the code was saved) and post that info here. Easiest/quickest way to post Scan Tool Info is to take a photo of each Tool Screen, and post that jpg/png here.

George
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Quote:
... I have noticed that the high voltage discharge message appears a lot lately [COLOR="Red"][Please describe precisely WHERE that "message" appears, what it looks like (Photo ;-) and/or what it SAYS][/COLOR] and when I full throttle my car it stutters and shakes then picks speed back up and then a check engine light comes on and at idle it is running terrible. [COLOR="red"][That could simply be random spark plug misfire due to old plugs with enlarged gaps][/COLOR] I'll cut the car off and start it back and it runs fine the car is fully warmed up when it does it. I change my oil regularly and have not scanned the codes but there is not a check engine light on at all only when it happens...

George

Hey George I have pulled the codes at home these are it I know one is a misfire then the rest are variable valve timing codes I jsut want some reassurance before I start doing anything
P0303
P102C
P1012
P1014
P102B
P1006
Appreciate 0