E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Where can I download Ista along with a tutorial?

02-26-2020, 09:38 AM   #1
mdmark180
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 335i

Where can I download Ista along with a tutorial?

Looked everywhere and couldn't find a good download or tutorial
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 09:46 AM   #2
porsche959
Banned
Rep
Drives: porsche

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1405801

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1204192
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 10:13 AM   #3
mdmark180
Enlisted Member
Rep

That's the Inpa download file, I have Inpa but found it hard to use and its primarily in German. I'm looking for Ista D or Ista +
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 10:14 AM   #4
9krpmrx8
Clean is the new cool, keep it that way.
Rep
Drives: 11' Alpine White 335i Sedan

There are lots of youtube vidoes on how to do things with ISTA.
      02-26-2020, 10:18 AM   #5
mdmark180
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9krpmrx8 View Post
There are lots of youtube vidoes on how to do things with ISTA.
I've looked and none have made it clear
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 10:28 AM   #6
smass
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 325i - 10 335i

Garage List
2010 E90 335i  [0.00]
2016 F15 35i  [0.00]
2003 E53 3.0  [0.00]
2006 E90 325i  [0.00]
Greetings from Phoenix. This is what you want. https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh....php?t=1023698
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 11:57 AM   #7
9krpmrx8
Clean is the new cool, keep it that way.
Rep
Drives: 11' Alpine White 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmark180 View Post
Are you looking for instructions on how to use it or how to install it?

The install can be a pain, I have had this guy install it and set it up remotely for me twice on two different laptops. He prices are very fair too.

John @ (757)-344-6556
      02-26-2020, 02:32 PM   #8
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Looked everywhere and couldn't find a good download or tutorial
Quote:
That's the Inpa download file, I have Inpa but found it hard to use and its primarily in German. I'm looking for Ista D or Ista +
Quote:
Questions appear simple & understandable: DON'T know why NO Answers of that type.

I. Downloads via BimmerGeeks Links to MEGA sites:
https://www.bimmergeeks.net/downloads

Download (1) BMW Standard Tools (Includes INPA), (2) Datens for models you want to work on (E89 for E9x models), (3) Rheingold (ISTA-D). Install in that order. Test INPA Functional Jobs to see that Standard Tools and Cable installed correctly. Then proceed with ISTA install.

MEGA download of ISTA is ~ 10 GB of compressed 7z format, and MEGA tries to get you to pay/subscribe for Download > 5 GB. Just start download in evening, and ignore marketing ploy to "pay" for immediate download. Download will recommence in ~ 4 hours and by the time you wake up, ALL will be downloaded.

INSTRUCTIONS for Installation are included. When you "unzip" the compressed files, you will find the TXT file of Install Instructions. If any questions on "how to", just post back.

II. Tutorial:

I have NOT found a good Tutorial for either INPA or ISTA. Attached is a "User Guide" for ISTA that comes as close to being what you are looking for as anything I know.

III. INPA Tutorials:

You correctly observe that there are NO good INPA tutorials. Closest thing to helpful information for English-speakers I have found about using INPA is Bimmer profs, and here is a link to the first of 4 parts:
https://bimmerprofs.com/diagnostics-inpa-part-1/

IV. My Own Approach, USING INPA:

I took the time to learn how to connect to each of the ~ 20 modules in my 328xi E91, and saved ScreenPrints of each of the F5 (Status) and F6 (Activation) Screens (in jpg format) related to each module, saved in a separate Folder for that Module. I even did a Word Document containing a summary of each screen, with translation of German to English, using Google Translate:
https://translate.google.com/#view=h...te&sl=de&tl=en

It takes some time, and some technical knowledge of correct English terms for components, systems & concepts, to choose the correct English translation for each German technical term. I have begun my own sets of "Tutorials" in which I briefly explain how to connect to a particular Module, and then display particular screens. The "Tutorials" show ScreenPrints, WITH English Translations added, of those screens used for diagnostic purposes to evaluate operation of a particular component or system.

INPA is a VERY powerful tool for folks who want to understand how a system works, and approach problem solving from an "Engineering Perspective" where what you want is ALL Available Data, and NOT a Flow Chart, "Trail of Breadcrumbs" approach, where you just blindly follow the program (more the ISTA approach AFAIK). I'm sure BOTH systems are good at what they do, and ISTA is better in MOST situations for English-speakers who just want to "get 'er done" without spending time translating and trying to understand how a system actually works from a conceptual standpoint.

If you are interested in learning MORE about how to use INPA, checkout the "Beginner-Level" Tutorial on "Functional Jobs", which is the 2nd, smaller pdf attached. I'll attach some sample INPA Screens to the next post so those NOT familiar with INPA can get an idea of the information it can provide (a LOT more than Fault Codes ;-)

George
Attached Images
File Type: pdf ista_user_guide_us.pdf (4.91 MB, 134 views)
File Type: pdf INPA Tutorial Quickstart.pdf (682.2 KB, 51 views)
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 03:07 PM   #9
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Example INPA Screens (MSV80 DME)

For those who want to see what type of Data INPA can provide, see attached Screens.
These screens were saved following the procedure explained in "Quickstart Tutorial pdf" attached to prior post.
Screens include, in order attached:

(1) Fault Memory with Freeze Frame Data & Fault Details; NOTE Details

(2) E-Fan (Radiator Fan) Activation with Coolant Temp Display

(3) Thermostat (KFK) Activation with Coolant Temp Display

(4) Coolant Pump Activation with Coolant Temp Display

ALL F6 "Activation" screens shown are with Component under DME Control, and are simply showing
actual operating conditions at the moment. I have added English Translation & NOTES to the screens using "Paint".

The F6 "Activation" screens can be used to "Over-ride" DME/Module CONTROL of the Component,
and see what changes in conditions occur when "Activated". For instance, the health of the
Coolant Pump can be evaluated by comparing ACTUAL % Speed with "Controlled" or "Activated"
speed selected. The "Speed Deviation" or difference between "Activation" % and ACTUAL %
increases with age of pump, or can indicate an issue with the pump motor or its response to DME Output.

George
Attached Images

Last edited by gbalthrop; 02-26-2020 at 03:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 04:03 PM   #10
mdmark180
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Questions appear simple & understandable: DON'T know why NO Answers of that type.

I. Downloads via BimmerGeeks Links to MEGA sites:
https://www.bimmergeeks.net/downloads

Download (1) BMW Standard Tools (Includes INPA), (2) Datens for models you want to work on (E89 for E9x models), (3) Rheingold (ISTA-D). Install in that order. Test INPA Functional Jobs to see that Standard Tools and Cable installed correctly. Then proceed with ISTA install.

MEGA download of ISTA is ~ 10 GB of compressed 7z format, and MEGA tries to get you to pay/subscribe for Download > 5 GB. Just start download in evening, and ignore marketing ploy to "pay" for immediate download. Download will recommence in ~ 4 hours and by the time you wake up, ALL will be downloaded.

Thanks for the information that's the most clear I've seen so far, I was unaware I had to install datens as well or of the other steps. Much appreciated I'll let you know how it goes.

INSTRUCTIONS for Installation are included. When you "unzip" the compressed files, you will find the TXT file of Install Instructions. If any questions on "how to", just post back.

II. Tutorial:

I have NOT found a good Tutorial for either INPA or ISTA. Attached is a "User Guide" for ISTA that comes as close to being what you are looking for as anything I know.

III. INPA Tutorials:

You correctly observe that there are NO good INPA tutorials. Closest thing to helpful information for English-speakers I have found about using INPA is Bimmer profs, and here is a link to the first of 4 parts:
https://bimmerprofs.com/diagnostics-inpa-part-1/

IV. My Own Approach, USING INPA:

I took the time to learn how to connect to each of the ~ 20 modules in my 328xi E91, and saved ScreenPrints of each of the F5 (Status) and F6 (Activation) Screens (in jpg format) related to each module, saved in a separate Folder for that Module. I even did a Word Document containing a summary of each screen, with translation of German to English, using Google Translate:
https://translate.google.com/#view=h...te&sl=de&tl=en

It takes some time, and some technical knowledge of correct English terms for components, systems & concepts, to choose the correct English translation for each German technical term. I have begun my own sets of "Tutorials" in which I briefly explain how to connect to a particular Module, and then display particular screens. The "Tutorials" show ScreenPrints, WITH English Translations added, of those screens used for diagnostic purposes to evaluate operation of a particular component or system.

INPA is a VERY powerful tool for folks who want to understand how a system works, and approach problem solving from an "Engineering Perspective" where what you want is ALL Available Data, and NOT a Flow Chart, "Trail of Breadcrumbs" approach, where you just blindly follow the program (more the ISTA approach AFAIK). I'm sure BOTH systems are good at what they do, and ISTA is better in MOST situations for English-speakers who just want to "get 'er done" without spending time translating and trying to understand how a system actually works from a conceptual standpoint.

If you are interested in learning MORE about how to use INPA, checkout the "Beginner-Level" Tutorial on "Functional Jobs", which is the 2nd, smaller pdf attached. I'll attach some sample INPA Screens to the next post so those NOT familiar with INPA can get an idea of the information it can provide (a LOT more than Fault Codes ;-)

George
Thanks for the information that's the most clear I've seen so far, I was unaware I had to install datens as well or of the other steps. Much appreciated I'll let you know how it goes.
Appreciate 0