E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Interior water leak. E91 318D M Sport (UK)

02-26-2020, 03:42 PM   #1
madein devon
Registered
Rep
Drives: E91 318d M Sport

Interior water leak. E91 318D M Sport (UK)

Here we go again, another BMW interior water leak post. This is true, but with all of my searching on the net for a solution to stop the leak I did not come across what the cause of mine turned out to be.

So here we go, a very long story and lots of hours of work reduced to a few lines.

The foam backing to the carpets was so sodden with water that the interior had to be stripped to remove the carpets so they could be hung to dry out.

Once the carpets had been removed I could see that the water was coming in from the A post beside the glove box.

I removed the two panels below the windscreen so I could see the bulkhead. All looked in order but on closer inspection I found an area of about 3mm that from new had not been sealed.
I poured a small amount of water into that area and it flowed away at the area where the sealer was missing.
Still unsure if I had found my leak I mixed a small amount of water with some blue ink and poured it around the area. It took about half an hour but eventually blue water started to drip inside the car.

Photo 1 shows a screwdriver pointing to the area where the sealer was found to be missing.

Photo 2 is a close up of that area with 2 black lines showing where the sealer was missing.

I thoroughly cleaned the area with an airline, degreaser and a heat gun. I then pushed silicone sealer into the affected area and finished it off with Butyl tape over the whole seam with. Photo 3.

It is still early days but fingers crossed I have cured the leak.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0