E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Major oil leak e92 335xi

02-28-2020, 07:51 PM   #1
Muz180
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi

Major oil leak e92 335xi

Ok so I floored my car and right when I hit around 80 mph my car just lost all power and so I hit the brakes and the check engine light came on, shortly after the low oil pressure light came and I noticed white smoke coming from the engine (passenger side where the turbos are). The car began to misfire and went into limp mode. I quickly shut the car off and noticed oil all over the passenger side of the car and even oil on the rear bumper/trunk. I had the car towed to my garage.

Now the issue that I have is that I am trying to find the source of the oil leak. The highest point seems to be right around where the turbos are located. I checked the valve cover which seems fine as does the oil filter housing and the oil pan. I was told to drain the oil, then top it off, and start the car to find where it is leaking from exactly, I have yet to do that. Also the right driver side of the engine (where the hpfp, chargepipe, Intakes are located) is completely dry.

I was wondering if anyone has an idea of what could have caused such a huge oil leak I was assuming it might be the turbo oil lines but I can't get a good view of those without removing the downpipes etc. Any advice on how I should go about doing this would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 08:02 PM   #2
C4maro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Certainly sounds turbo related id fill it up with oil and get a flash light down there you might find the issue, might need to get under the car and have it running looking up underneath.
Appreciate 1
tcphoto3537.00
      02-28-2020, 09:12 PM   #3
Muz180
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4maro View Post
Certainly sounds turbo related id fill it up with oil and get a flash light down there you might find the issue, might need to get under the car and have it running looking up underneath.
Appreciate it, the only thing that I'm worried about is starting it without knowing if the issue is engine related.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 09:20 PM   #4
C4maro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muz180 View Post
Appreciate it, the only thing that I'm worried about is starting it without knowing if the issue is engine related.
Scanning to see the codes would be a good idea.

Crank engine by hand and see how it feels
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2023, 01:52 AM   #5
Muz180
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4maro View Post
Scanning to see the codes would be a good idea.

Crank engine by hand and see how it feels
I was reading up on my old posts and I came across this. Just wanted to let you know that the oil leak was from one of the turbo oil lines that I forgot to bolt down lol. We had done an engine swap and when we put the replacement in I forgot to bolt in one of lines.

We found the leak by topping it off with oil and starting it again just to have everything leak out again, but we took a video from underneath to find the point.

Anyways just wanted to revive this post to give you credit for your original comment!
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2023, 04:04 PM   #6
branlday
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muz180 View Post
I was reading up on my old posts and I came across this. Just wanted to let you know that the oil leak was from one of the turbo oil lines that I forgot to bolt down lol. We had done an engine swap and when we put the replacement in I forgot to bolt in one of lines.

We found the leak by topping it off with oil and starting it again just to have everything leak out again, but we took a video from underneath to find the point.

Anyways just wanted to revive this post to give you credit for your original comment!
Its always that bolt you see and think, "l'll get back to that one when I'm done with this other thing".
Appreciate 0