E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2011 bmw 328i xdrive new fan not engaging

02-29-2020, 06:59 AM   #1
jerz
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i xdrive

Garage List
2011 bmw 328i xdrive new fan not engaging

ive got a small problem. my electric cooling fan on my 2011 bmw 328i xdrive went out a while ago and I just got around to replacing it. I installed the fan correctly, made sure that before I disconnected the old fan I disconnected the battery. the install didn't give my any trouble. So I warmed up the car and waited for about 30 minutes waiting for the fan to turn on and it didn't. The coolant temp was at 230 and the oil temp was at 255. now I know that the car runs hop but it was only 5 degrees away from going into limp mode. I check the fuse for the fan and it was good. Anyone have any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 07:14 AM   #2
relative4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90 MT stage 1+

Is there voltage at the fan?
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 04:49 PM   #3
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerz View Post
... my electric cooling fan on my 2011 bmw 328i xdrive went out a while ago ["went out" covers a LOT of territory HOW did you diagnose/test the original E-Fan and its circuit?] and I just got around to replacing it...So I warmed up the car and waited for about 30 minutes waiting for the fan to turn on and it didn't... I check the fuse for the fan and it was good. Anyone have any ideas?
What fuse did you check? There are TWO (F28 & F92), and there is a "Cut-out Relay" in the system, as shown in this TIS circuit diagram for 2008 & later 328xi E90:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ooling/vFKjkjB

Here is the "Connector View" for the Fan 4-pin Connector, (X1797):
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...i-lim/CTKpbtQP
The place to start is checking for 12V+ at Pin #2, Red/Blue Wire, of Connector X1797 at the fan, with Ignition on (Connector DIS-connected ;-). My SWAG is that you do NOT have voltage there, so then need to check fuses and relay operation.

The Relay is located in the E-box under the Hood, as shown in this TIS Installation Location:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...xi-lim/RkoSDw7

I don't suppose you have INPA, ISTA, or anything that can read BMW-specific Hex-codes, or ACTIVATE the E-fan? If you at least have a Multimeter and know how to measure Voltage and Continuity to Ground (near-zero resistance in reference to chassis ground), you can probably determine where the fault is, using the TIS information above.

If you need any specific suggestions on what to test & HOW, please let us know. There are some "Tricks" to following the TIS schematics, such as the "30G" above fuse F28, which indicates that Fuse 28 is ONLY active when Terminal 30G is Active (when ignition is ON and for a few minutes after shutdown). In this case, the purpose of that relay is to shut down the E-Fan several minutes after Engine Shutdown, but allow it to run after shutdown (UNTIL "Cut-out") to cool a hot engine. So the 5A F28 fuse operates the Cut-out Relay which provides power from the 60A Fuse F92 to operate the Fan Motor. BOTH Fuses and the Relay must work for the fan to operate.

There are some other things to check after the two fuses & relay, but start with those & please let us know what you find,

George
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 04:58 PM   #4
siloansa
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
What fuse did you check? There are TWO (F28 & F92), and there is a "Cut-out Relay" in the system, as shown in this TIS circuit diagram for 2008 & later 328xi E90:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ooling/vFKjkjB

Here is the "Connector View" for the Fan 4-pin Connector, (X1797):
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...i-lim/CTKpbtQP
The place to start is checking for 12V+ at Pin #2, Red/Blue Wire, of Connector X1797 at the fan, with Ignition on (Connector DIS-connected ;-). My SWAG is that you do NOT have voltage there, so then need to check fuses and relay operation.

The Relay is located in the E-box under the Hood, as shown in this TIS Installation Location:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...xi-lim/RkoSDw7

I don't suppose you have INPA, ISTA, or anything that can read BMW-specific Hex-codes, or ACTIVATE the E-fan? If you at least have a Multimeter and know how to measure Voltage and Continuity to Ground (near-zero resistance in reference to chassis ground), you can probably determine where the fault is, using the TIS information above.

If you need any specific suggestions on what to test & HOW, please let us know. There are some "Tricks" to following the TIS schematics, such as the "30G" above fuse F28, which indicates that Fuse 28 is ONLY active when Terminal 30G is Active (when ignition is ON and for a few minutes after shutdown). In this case, the purpose of that relay is to shut down the E-Fan several minutes after Engine Shutdown, but allow it to run after shutdown (UNTIL "Cut-out") to cool a hot engine. So the 5A F28 fuse operates the Cut-out Relay which provides power from the 60A Fuse F92 to operate the Fan Motor. BOTH Fuses and the Relay must work for the fan to operate.

There are some other things to check after the two fuses & relay, but start with those & please let us know what you find,

George
+1
Appreciate 0