E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Miles till empty after fill up on instrument cluster

02-29-2020, 03:54 PM   #1
wootang_clan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i & E46 M3 Vert

Miles till empty after fill up on instrument cluster

I just replaced the fuel pump and the fuel pressure regulator on my 2006 e90 330i. Started up fine and runs fine. Can you guys chime in and let me know how many miles your dash reads on the till empty on your dash after a fill up? Anyone know if either the float on the fuel pump or the fuel pressure regular sends the miles till empty for the car? Mine says 210 after the fill up. Seems low and I'm hoping I didn't reinstall something correctly. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 03:55 PM   #2
Moisture
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mazda 6, 2020 Lexus NX300

I'm pretty sure that is simply calculated by the computer based on your driving habits. It's never all that accurate... You can expect more miles on a tank.

Depending on how you drive of course. Try adding some fuel system cleaner in there.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 04:02 PM   #3
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

You should run a few tanks of fuel before you start evaluate the BC tank miles calculation.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 05:17 PM   #4
ricx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootang_clan View Post
I just replaced the fuel pump and the fuel pressure regulator on my 2006 e90 330i. Started up fine and runs fine. Can you guys chime in and let me know how many miles your dash reads on the till empty on your dash after a fill up? Anyone know if either the float on the fuel pump or the fuel pressure regular sends the miles till empty for the car? Mine says 210 after the fill up. Seems low and I'm hoping I didn't reinstall something correctly. Thanks in advance.
Did you replace with OEM?
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 05:47 PM   #5
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Better way to check it is with the OBC menu. Enter the hidden gauge cluster menu and go to 6.01. It'll tell you how many liters are in the tank, and also give you the resistance in ohms of the raw readings. In fact, you can rock your car back and forth to watch the values move.

http://e90.wikifoundry-mobile.com/m/...C+hidden+menus

Note that if you're at half a tank, it's normal for the left side to read 0. Gas is not consumed from the tank equally from both sides. It's sucked from the left side first, then the right. This ensures that the fuel pump is submerged in fuel and helps with weight distribution.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 07:21 PM   #6
vester86
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D '08

for me +/- 400 miles on a full tank
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 09:27 PM   #7
wootang_clan
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wootang_clan View Post
Did you replace with OEM?
I replaced w/ VDO from FCP Euro.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 09:59 PM   #8
wootang_clan
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome to NBA Jam View Post
Better way to check it is with the OBC menu. Enter the hidden gauge cluster menu and go to 6.01. It'll tell you how many liters are in the tank, and also give you the resistance in ohms of the raw readings. In fact, you can rock your car back and forth to watch the values move.

http://e90.wikifoundry-mobile.com/m/...C+hidden+menus

Note that if you're at half a tank, it's normal for the left side to read 0. Gas is not consumed from the tank equally from both sides. It's sucked from the left side first, then the right. This ensures that the fuel pump is submerged in fuel and helps with weight distribution.
Thanks. I decided to run the car for a while and monitor the gauge. I think everything is ok. The mileage kept climbing. It's all the way up to 360 miles till empty and I've driven around 18 miles or so. I think I'm all good.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2020, 10:07 PM   #9
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Better to use something fuely app to compute milage .
The mpg computer is genrally pretty close. I would never
depend on the the digital readout to tell me when to get gas.
Appreciate 0