E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 335I Knock/Thud (Quiet) under partial load at low RPM

03-03-2020, 10:09 AM   #1
Wadger
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

335I Knock/Thud (Quiet) under partial load at low RPM

Hi All,

Im currently driving a 07 335 at 70k.

I have always had this noise (6k since owning) when using partial throttle, only in the low RPM range.

It doesnt sound too metalic and it is far from loud. To put it in perspective the Mrs didnt notice, but hey she couldt see the difference after i had it lowered... Sigh.

Strangely enough the only way i could describe it is if someone was lightly knocking on a heavy bit of wood LOL.

Ive watched extensive videos a lifter tickeing and bearing spin etc, and it sounds nothing like that in terms of severity and loudness.

If im at like 25% throttle there is no noise, if between 25+% it is there.

1-2.5k RPM it is noticeable, much after it is not regardless of throttle position.

It would appear to me it is more noticeable/consistant when attempting to accelerate faster at low RPM before hitting significant boost. Like the engine is struggling, as they do at low rpm, but once it picks up a bit the noise goes. As the RPM increases the RPM increase faster, which seems releive the noise. It is that initial 2-3 seconds when in low RPM.

The tick definitely gets slightly louder the more I put my foot down, meaning 50% at 2k is louder than 25% at 2k. And the tick definitely gets a little quicker as the RPM increases.

The car still pulls hard and is throwing no codes, just interested what this could be.

I can't replicate when idling and I cannot make it audible on video I'm afraid

Plugs changed under 1k. All old ones were clean.

Oil changed under 4k

AT Service under 2k

VCG under 4k

Uprated PCV

5” Intercooler

DCI

Turbo Soleniods under 2k

Vacuum lines under 1k
Appreciate 0