E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2011 335i N55 - smoke and overheat smell

03-04-2020, 10:05 AM   #1
aaroncw
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i

I've got a small leak somewhere and I can tell by the tiny puddle on the garage floor after I drive. A few months ago while getting the oil changed the mechanic said my oil filter housing gasket was going bad. Could this be my problem?

The thing is my serpentine belt is fine. No oil on it at all. I thought If the OHG was leaking it would be all over the belt.

The fluid that's leaking is a clear blue-ish color.

For about the past four months I've had an overheating smell. And a tiny whisp of smoke coming up. In the picture you can see the area where the smoke rises from. After driving, With the car shut off, you can see a tiny puff of smoke rise from the circled area about every 3-5 mins.

Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated before I start the repairs.

My plans for next week are to:
Replace Oil Filter Housing Gasket
New Plugs and Coils
New Tensioner and Pullies
New Serp belt

Then I'm going to take it to Bmw and have them do the oil change.

Thanks!

Edit: no problems w the car at all. No misfires. No lights or messages. Just being preventative and wanting to stop the smoke and smell.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 10:14 AM   #2
nicked8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 335i M-Sport xDrive

The area you circled is in the general vicinity of the exhaust manifold / turbo/ downpipe so whatever is leaking is likely dripping onto one of those components and burning up.

If you're leaking oil, very likely could be the valve cover gasket as it will leak in that area and fall onto the hot components below. But as you mentioned a blue liquid that would indicate coolant. Maybe from one of the lines going to the turbo? You'll have to get under there to get a better look.

Also the windshield washer fluid is in that area which is blue as well - maybe another possibility
Appreciate 3
      03-04-2020, 10:27 AM   #3
9krpmrx8
Clean is the new cool, keep it that way.
Rep
Drives: 11' Alpine White 335i Sedan

Yeah I can almost guarantee its the valve cover gasket. If you do the oil filter housing gasket though, make sure to follow the TSB and prime the engine before restarting it.
lab_rat394.50
      03-04-2020, 01:17 PM   #4
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Expansion tank cracked?
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 05:48 AM   #5
aaroncw
United_States
Rep

Thanks! I'll check valve cover for leaks and expansion tank.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 08:55 PM   #6
aaroncw
United_States
Rep

VC replaced update...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaroncw View Post
Thanks! I'll check valve cover for leaks and expansion tank.
So I did it. It was a definite B to install. I used a genuine bmw gasket from dealer. I'm crossing my fingers I seated it correctly... had to attempt placing it at least two dozen times. Finally got it where I was happy. Torqued it down slow and even as recommended.

I do have a slight worry about fuel smell after I drive. When I took the injector lines off I got a face full of gas 😅 so I know I sprayed a bit. Tried to wipe up good. But still... should I go in and recheck the tightness of the injector lines? I hand tightened them pretty good I thought.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0