E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Where'd my coolant go!?

03-04-2020, 11:45 AM   #1
_Steve_
Psh..
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 335i

Where'd my coolant go!?

So my '08 335 has been parked since winter started. Decided to see if I could make it up my ski slope of a driveway and go for a short drive, but thought I'd pop the hood 1st and check what fluids I could. I know that the oil filter housing gasket needs to be changed (I have a new one waiting) and that was still apparent by oil around the lid, but the coolant reservoir is pretty much empty.
My worry is If that gasket is shot is there a chance that all the coolant leaked into the oil? Clearly I wont start it if that's the case.. really wish bmw would've put a damn dipstick on these.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 12:20 PM   #2
C4maro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Dip stick would of been awesome.

If your coolant stick is reading low/empty might be a good idea to drain the oil and check.

I'm not sure if the engine needs to be started to get a low coolant light on the dash, but if not, and you're not getting a low coolant light, you probably didn't lose enough to worry about?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 03:56 PM   #3
Mashman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93

Check the bleeder screw, I've had a couple times that the top of the screw comes off and this allows coolant to leak when the system is pressurized.

The screw is just plastic and has a hole in it allow the system to be bled with the screw slightly backed off. I don't know if it's the pressure or what, but sometimes the top of the screw comes off. You can get them at autoparts stores look for Dorman 902-404.

I could close it but I feel doing so would be a victory for the thieves....
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 04:22 PM   #4
zipstic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335xi

Garage List
2008 335xi Coupe  [10.00]
Coolant in BMW's are known for "disappearing" in cold temperatures.

Dealers here in Minnesota say they get a lot of people bringing in their cars every winter to get their coolant topped off. They don't even charge to get it topped off with so many people coming through.

I carry some coolant with me at all times and always check my E92 and the wife's F30 in the winter months and top off when (note that I didn't say "if") necessary.

Not saying that's what's going on with yours, but something to keep in mind considering you're in Alberta and your 335 has been parked since winter started.
      03-05-2020, 02:16 PM   #5
_Steve_
Psh..
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 335i

Thanks for the input guys, I'm mainly concerned if the coolant can get into the oil through that housing. Like that reservoir is damn near empty, yet theres no coolant puddled on the plastic skid pan and cant see any sweaty spots.
Cars parked in a shitty spot with snowy, muddy gravel with everything starting to thaw, to try and jack up to drain the oil and I dont wanna fire it up to move it if there could be a couple liters of coolant in the oil.. the ol catch 22 😑😒
Just gonna have to deal with it and dump the oil.
Sorry for the probably dead horse post btw :/
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 02:51 PM   #6
nhhiep
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw

same happened to me recently. For me, it's the temp sensor in the lower hose from the radiator. $15 part from amazon fixed it.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 03:30 PM   #7
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipstic View Post
Coolant in BMW's are known for "disappearing" in cold temperatures.

Dealers here in Minnesota say they get a lot of people bringing in their cars every winter to get their coolant topped off. They don't even charge to get it topped off with so many people coming through.

I carry some coolant with me at all times and always check my E92 and the wife's F30 in the winter months and top off when (note that I didn't say "if") necessary.

Not saying that's what's going on with yours, but something to keep in mind considering you're in Alberta and your 335 has been parked since winter started.
Is this possible? imho coolant disappearing is one of the most disconcerting fluids possible. Many mfgs today will say 3 qts of oil between changes is normal, but not coolant, my .02

Anytime that's happened to me it's a water pump, hose, union, or even reservoir cap. But our cars it's not an overflow like it is on most cars.

To me, coolant is not something that gets topped off. I reserve the right to be wrong lol (although I might bleed the system if I felt I kept having to add and start over)
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 03:57 PM   #8
C4maro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

The coolant may not stay on the skid pan, may trickle off and go into the gravel your car is on.

You mention the resovoir tank being nearly empty, I'm pretty sure if you can see fluid in it, that is enough to get a reading on the level stick coming out of the resovoir, meaning you could easily have sufficient fluid even if you can't see lots in the tank. Is your coolant stick/level missing? That's how you gauge the level.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 04:37 PM   #9
zipstic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335xi

Garage List
2008 335xi Coupe  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
Is this possible? imho coolant disappearing is one of the most disconcerting fluids possible. Many mfgs today will say 3 qts of oil between changes is normal, but not coolant, my .02

Anytime that's happened to me it's a water pump, hose, union, or even reservoir cap. But our cars it's not an overflow like it is on most cars.

To me, coolant is not something that gets topped off. I reserve the right to be wrong lol (although I might bleed the system if I felt I kept having to add and start over)
Oh don't get me wrong, I don't understand the physics behind why this would be happening. All I can say is that from my personal experience and what the dealers have claimed, is that it's happened on two E92s, a F30, a F22, and a E84 that I or my family have owned.