E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Warranty Oil Change

09-10-2008, 09:52 PM   #1
Brad from the OC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325Ia Alpine White

Warranty Oil Change

I took my car to the dealership for my annual oil change yesterday even though my on board computer said I had another 8,000 miles left and until 9/09. I last had the oil changed a year ago at 10,000 miles at the dealership and then I changed the oil myself at about 15,000 miles. When I did my own oil change at 15,000 miles, the on board computer reset itself to 15,000 miles until the next change. I have about 20,000 miles on the car now and took my car in to get my warranty annual oil change.

My SA initially took my key and put it into his service reader and said my car was not due for any service. I asked for the annual oil change and a few other items and he said yes it was all covered under warranty. They completed the work and gave me my invoice which detailed what services they performed. It listed the oil change, but when I checked the on board computer, the oil service still indicated 8,000 miles and 9/09 as the time to do the next oil change. Do you think that they didn't do the oil change at all but billed BMW for the service? I think the only way I would know if they did actually changed the oil is the on board computer should have reset to 15,000 miles because of the new oil. I understand that the computer actually analyzes the oil quality and establishes the next oil changed based on that.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2008, 11:59 PM   #2
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

check out this tsb

http://www.x5world.com/articles/x5/g...hange-tsb.html

"“A limited number of BMW owners accumulate very low mileage on their BMWs
annually, in some situations insufficient for the Service Interval Indicator
System to call for an Oil Service or Inspection. However, all BMWs should
have an engine oil change at a minimum of once a year, regardless of whether
synthetic or petroleum-based oil is used.”

As a part of the BMW Maintenance Program your dealer should perform the annual
oil service and update/stamp the Service and Warranty Information Statement
but SHOULD NOT RE-SET THE SERVICE INDICATOR SYSTEM. "

Looks like your dealer performed the work to spec
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 05:03 AM   #3
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

The BC does not automatically reset itself when you change the oil. It has to be reset by the Tech.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 11:02 AM   #4
Brad from the OC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325Ia Alpine White

I changed my own oil about 5 months ago (between the annual warranty oil change) and when I completed the job and checked for the proper oil level, I noticded that the computer reset itself to indicate that I had 15,000 more miles until my next oil change. Prior to the oil change that I didn myself, my computer indicated 8,000 miles. Has anyone else had this experience? Based on that experience, I believe that the oil change interval computer actually detects oil quality to determine how much longer or how many more hours to the next oil change.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 02:20 PM   #5
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 325i; F10 528i; 2002tii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad from the OC View Post
I changed my own oil about 5 months ago (between the annual warranty oil change) and when I completed the job and checked for the proper oil level, I noticded that the computer reset itself to indicate that I had 15,000 more miles until my next oil change. Prior to the oil change that I didn myself, my computer indicated 8,000 miles. Has anyone else had this experience? Based on that experience, I believe that the oil change interval computer actually detects oil quality to determine how much longer or how many more hours to the next oil change.
I have done 6 "extra" oil changes in a 2006 325 and none have affected the countdown to the scheduled ones.

Last edited by 742; 09-11-2008 at 04:31 PM.. Reason: corrected typo
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2008, 03:07 PM   #6
cobradac
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '05 645Ci Coupe

Garage List
2005 645Ci  [0.00]
The oil is not actually analyzed. It is an algorithm that determines driving conditions and adjusts the interval accordingly. Easy going highway miles would result in a longer period, while stop and go or high RPM a shorter interval.

The fact yours reset is a mystery perhaps explainable in some way but not sure how.
      01-05-2009, 11:59 AM   #7
kennethpetro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i JB/Black Dakota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad from the OC View Post
This happened to me too. The Service engine soon light came on and when i did a OBC check it said 8000 miles for oil. So i got my oil changed and now when i try and check the oil level, there is a clock saying it's calculating the level but it never completes it. Does this mean BMW has to reset something? Why will it not show how much oil they put in? (BTW - they used 6.73L)
2011 Jet Black 328i, 6-Speed Manual, Black Dakota Leather, Brushed Aluminum, Harmon Kardon w/ Surround Sound, Navi, BMW Apps, iPod & USB Adapter, BMW Assist w/ Bluetooth, Full LED Interior, 6000k HID Fogs, Matte Black Kidney Grills, M3 Lip Spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, 19" Beyern Black Mesh *19x8.5 front(ET40)* *19x9.5 rear(ET30)*
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 04:41 PM   #8
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

The oil and filter change is accepted by most dealers, but I wonder if they also would change the air conditioner filter and windshield wipers.
Appreciate 0