E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Using adaptive headlight with non-adaptive?

03-10-2020, 05:05 PM   #1
coz_mo
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Using adaptive headlight with non-adaptive?

Bit of a unique situation. My car is an 09' 328i with bi-xenon (leveling) but non-adaptive headlights.

I need a replacement for my passenger headlight as its cracked.

I found someone selling the same headlight but adaptive. So I'd be using one adaptive headlight and one non-adaptive headlight. Would it be possible to code out the adaptive feature on the one headlight?

Are the adaptive vs. non-adaptive LCI headlights physically the same? Because I have all the modules, etc.. from my broken headlight and could swap them over if needed.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 07:00 PM   #2
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

This is only a partial answer, but yes, it’s absolutely possible to code out the adaptive function. I checked RealOEM to see if any of the individual components of the standard (vertical levelling) and adaptive are the same PN but it came up inconclusive. (I’m on my phone so it’s a bit tricky.)

The short answer is that it should be possible to use the AHL unit. The question is whether any difference in terms of light pattern, cutoff, etc will bother you. I’m guessing there may also be minute aesthetic differences if you look very closely at the projector unit/shroud, though I could be wrong about this.