E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Weird water pump issues need help plz

03-14-2020, 09:16 AM   #1
Tyronekndrck
Rep
Drives: 08 e90

Weird water pump issues need help plz

My water pump died and I almost overheated so I bought a water pump. With the new water pump my oil now reads inactive. So I ordered a new waterpump from rock auto (ultra power) and before I hooked it up I connected the harness too it and started the car. The oil then attempts to read and don't show inactive. As soon as I hook the water hoses to it and add water it's reading inactive again. So I disconnect the hose and drain the antifreeze the oil readings work again. So with both water pumps (brand new) my operating Temps is normal I just can't read oil Temps unless i drain my coolant. Just looking for opinions.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 03:37 AM   #2
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

It is unclear to me from your description but it sounds like you have now replaced the water pump twice and both pumps function as pumps but inactivate the oil condition sensor. Is that correct?

The waterpump and oil condition sensor (along with the alternator and IBS) share a common control bus called the BSD (bit serial data) for communication with the DME. A failure of one device on the bus can affect operation of the others.

If both pumps bring down the oil sensor, then I'd suspect the wiring. Why you only see the problem when coolant is present IDK. Keep in mind that running the coolant pump without coolant will probably destroy the pump quicker than the engine - the pump depends on coolant for lubrication.

You should read the codes. And to encourage relevant commentary you might want to provide a little more information about your vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 02:35 PM   #3
Tyronekndrck
Rep

Yea it's a 2008 328i and yes it's only inactive with water hoses connected. I didn't run it long without hoses connected. But I can activate the pump manually with my scanner without hoses on but when fully installed and running with coolant flowing oil inactive and my scanner can't communicate with Wp. I already have about 700 dollars worth of water pumps and have to spend more for oem I'm guessing.
Just replaced battery and alternator just because
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 03:30 PM   #4
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Your next move should be to read the errod codes. There are many approaches to this. For me, BMW standard tools (INPA, WinKFP, NCSExpert, Tool32) and ISTA-D (aka Rheingold) are the most powerful and flexible as well as the cheapest. Does require a little learning. Download from www.bimmergeeks.net/downloads. Buy their $45 cable as well.

It will help you to avoid spending money on parts "just because".
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 04:14 PM   #5
Bavarian Tech
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2006 330i  [10.00]
Something is bringing down your BSD line, which needs to be working for the water pump to work properly
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 05:09 PM   #6
Tyronekndrck
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian Tech View Post
Something is bringing down your BSD line, which needs to be working for the water pump to work properly
Yes I understand. I believe the water pump I ordered just doesn't properly work well with this car. If I reinstall my faulty water pump I can read the oil lvl but my scanner can't communicate with it. With my 2 new water pumps, oil is inactive and plus I can't communicate with it. My guess is, the internals of the new pumps was not properly made for these cars. I can guarantee it's not wired correctly inside. I will buy a cheap oem used water pump from salvage yard or ebay just to be sure.
The only code I get is 2e7c and that's only when the new water pump is installed. My old one don't present code.
And thanks for you guys replies👍
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2020, 10:40 PM   #7
lookalikehuuh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 335i

yeah you need to return those crap water pumps and buy the OE/OEM one. That should solve all your problems.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 01:20 AM   #8
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyronekndrck View Post
... If I reinstall my faulty water pump I can read the oil lvl but my scanner can't communicate with it. With my 2 new water pumps, oil is inactive and plus I can't communicate with it. ["it" = pump?] ... The only code I get is 2e7c and that's only when the new water pump is installed. My old one don't present code. [BUT your Scan Tool (connected to DME) CANNOT Activate it or communicate with it via BSD connection between Coolant Pump & DME]...
Here are the BMW Fault Code Lookup Definition of "2E7C", and Link to the Fault Information Sheet for that code which explains how to test to identify the cause of "Bus (BSD) Communication Fault":

2E7C | BSD bus Communication fault | msv80

http://www.bmwfault.codes/XMLDiagVie...QAOQA0ADAANAA=

Here is the TIS "BSD Interface" Schematic for your 2008 328i E90:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...rnator/oYPEvM2

This isn't "brain surgery", but you DO have to methodically test with (1) ONLY the OZS (Oil Condition Sensor, AKA "QLT" presumably for Quality/Level/Temp) connected to the BSD bus after disconnecting the other connectors, then (2) connect other connectors to respective components as described in detail in the Fault Information Sheet. Disconnect the Electrical Connectors identified in the TIS BSD Interface Schematic:

(1) X13895, IBS Connector over Battery Negative Terminal as shown in this Installation Location:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e90-328i-lim/SQE9rMY

(2) X6035, Coolant Pump Connector as shown in this Installation Location (like you don't ALREADY know at this point )
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...lim/1VnYgoMKo7

(3) X6524, Alternator BSD Connector ONLY, NOT the B+ Large Red Cable:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...i-lim/HEbgx6x1
That appears to be a poor quality diagram as shown from beneath x-Drive vehicle, showing front Diff and Left Output Shaft.

Please let us know what you find,
George
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 08:45 AM   #9
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyronekndrck View Post
Yea it's a 2008 328i and yes it's only inactive with water hoses connected. I didn't run it long without hoses connected. But I can activate the pump manually with my scanner without hoses on but when fully installed and running with coolant flowing oil inactive and my scanner can't communicate with Wp. I already have about 700 dollars worth of water pumps and have to spend more for oem I'm guessing.
Just replaced battery and alternator just because
you know that BMW specifically states not to run the pump for any length of time without coolant in it or you will wreck the impeller right?

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...11517586925kit

don't cheap out on water pump.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 01:03 PM   #10
Tyronekndrck
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
you know that BMW specifically states not to run the pump for any length of time without coolant in it or you will wreck the impeller right?

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...11517586925kit

don't cheap out on water pump.
I understand not to run it but I have scrap water pumps anyway
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 01:08 PM   #11
Tyronekndrck
Rep

Thanks for all of the replies. As I thought, the water pumps from rockauto is junk and don't work on these cars. I grabbed a junkyard Wp ND my oil now reads again. So I'm out of 300 usd because I can't send one of the 2 Wp I have back because I accidentally destroyed the box it came in.
Appreciate 0