E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Time to Change It Up?

03-28-2020, 08:32 PM   #1
hybrid90
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Time to Change It Up?

After 12 years of owning 3 Series cars, I'm finding that I need a bit more cargo space (and def need four doors). Unfortunately, Because of finances at the moment, I'm limited on what I can trade up to. I DID find a 2017 X1 X28i M Sport (fully loaded) w/low miles and 2 1/2 yrs left on the Certified Warranty. I drove one for about a month so I know it will do what I need, aside from losing power that I"m used to and lose a little bit of handling.

So my dilemma which is why I"m coming to you to get ideas/opinions and maybe some insight is this: I can trade to this X1 M Sport or I can hold on to my 335is for another year or two and find a CPO X3 M40i (which def has the power, fully loaded and sounds damn good) or a CPO X2 M35i (same thing, just in a slightly smaller/sportier package). All three would be fully loaded obviously (Harmon Kardon, options, M Sport).

So any ideas, thoughts or opinions are greatly appreciated. I'm really on the fence with this one. I really enjoy my 335is, but there comes a time when you've gotta start thinking about family and function, but that doesn't mean I can't get something that I will still enjoy driving (which is why they are all M Sport, fully loaded and Harmon Kardon equipped). I really wish I had the ability to keep the 335is and add the X as the second car or vice versa, but at this point it's just not feasible.

Thanks for reading and look forward to hearing some thoughts! Stay Healthy!!
      03-28-2020, 08:49 PM   #2
Bimmer_Engineer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
What exactly is your objective and what size vehicle do you “need”? If you clarify those things then I think it will help you choose the right path forward.

In my case my e90 just wasn’t reliable enough for daily driving, and I was sick of driving a Jeep Patriot when it was down...so I got a late model GTI to replace the patriot. It’s worked out great for me...
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 09:03 PM   #3
hybrid90
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Engineer View Post
What exactly is your objective and what size vehicle do you “need”? If you clarify those things then I think it will help you choose the right path forward.

In my case my e90 just wasn’t reliable enough for daily driving, and I was sick of driving a Jeep Patriot when it was down...so I got a late model GTI to replace the patriot. It’s worked out great for me...
As much as I love my E90 & E92, I just need something that can fit more people more comfortably and have a little bit more storage room. I considered moving up to the 5 Series, but financially it's in the same region as an X3. But I do want the warranty which is why I'm not just looking at a 2014 X5 or something like that. The SUV (or SAV) would also have the added benefit of being able to go off-road somewhat and since I do go camping once or twice a year, that's a plus.

Essentially, I want something that I won't mess with. I love working on/modding the cars, but at this point I don't have the time, the place or the ability to be doing that. An SUV would be something that I wouldn't modify. But I WOULD mess with a newer 3 or 5 Series...
      03-28-2020, 09:47 PM   #4
NinetyEight740
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2 - 2013 535i msport

Garage List
2010 E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hybrid90 View Post
After 12 years of owning 3 Series cars, I'm finding that I need a bit more cargo space (and def need four doors). Unfortunately, Because of finances at the moment, I'm limited on what I can trade up to. I DID find a 2017 X1 X28i M Sport (fully loaded) w/low miles and 2 1/2 yrs left on the Certified Warranty. I drove one for about a month so I know it will do what I need, aside from losing power that I"m used to and lose a little bit of handling.

So my dilemma which is why I"m coming to you to get ideas/opinions and maybe some insight is this: I can trade to this X1 M Sport or I can hold on to my 335is for another year or two and find a CPO X3 M40i (which def has the power, fully loaded and sounds damn good) or a CPO X2 M35i (same thing, just in a slightly smaller/sportier package). All three would be fully loaded obviously (Harmon Kardon, options, M Sport).

So any ideas, thoughts or opinions are greatly appreciated. I'm really on the fence with this one. I really enjoy my 335is, but there comes a time when you've gotta start thinking about family and function, but that doesn't mean I can't get something that I will still enjoy driving (which is why they are all M Sport, fully loaded and Harmon Kardon equipped). I really wish I had the ability to keep the 335is and add the X as the second car or vice versa, but at this point it's just not feasible.

X2 m35 and an x3 m40 are not the same thing and not even comparable for starters. No car will ever suit every scenario, so if you can afford two cars that’s always the best scenario. X3m40 is on a list of cars I’ll own one day. Have you considered a sports wagon?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 09:56 PM   #5
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

I've had the UKL based X1/X2 as courtesy cars. The interior space isn't very large. In fact I would say the seating space is smaller than our e90 330i.
They drive nice.
Personally I would go with a Mazda CX5 for what you can get for a CPO FWD-based X1/X2. They drive very well if not better than the X1 and certainly looks nicer. Interior quality is also superior in GT form.
IIRC their turbo 2.5l punches out 250hp and 320tq.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 10:08 PM   #6
hybrid90
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinetyEight740 View Post
Quote:

X2 m35 and an x3 m40 are not the same thing and not even comparable for starters. No car will ever suit every scenario, so if you can afford two cars that’s always the best scenario. X3m40 is on a list of cars I’ll own one day. Have you considered a sports wagon?
I know that the X2 & X3 are different. I'd consider the X2 M35i because of the storage area which is more than a 3 Series, but seating room is about the same, so it's more like a Hot Hatch, which is not a bad compromise.

But the X3 M40i is what I'm really shooting for as it checks off all the boxes, fully loaded and moves. I would only lose a bit of handling but that's well worth what you're gaining. The question is do I want to wait a year or two to get into a lease for one or just get into that X1 (which DOES have more room than the 3 Series surprisingly...) for now and then work up to the X3 in 3-4 years?

Last edited by hybrid90; 03-28-2020 at 10:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 10:11 PM   #7
hybrid90
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamb1t View Post
I've had the UKL based X1/X2 as courtesy cars. The interior space isn't very large. In fact I would say the seating space is smaller than our e90 330i.
They drive nice.
Personally I would go with a Mazda CX5 for what you can get for a CPO FWD-based X1/X2. They drive very well if not better than the X1 and certainly looks nicer. Interior quality is also superior in GT form.
IIRC their turbo 2.5l punches out 250hp and 320tq.
How is Mazda's longevity? I've heard horror stories about the engines not surviving past 75k miles due to not warming them up/driving short distances on a regular basis.

I know that they're actually rated in the top five right now, but those longevity issues worry me.
      03-29-2020, 12:22 AM   #8
hybrid90
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 213e90n51 View Post
IF YOUR DOWN to get a lexus gx460 or 470 the first and second generation then your golden. It is under 17k and uses the toyota 4 runner chassis. It rides smooth asfk and has more space plus 3rd row seating if you one with those. Also can go offroad stock more better than most jeeps you see out there. Two of my freinds have em black and silver. Costed them under 15k to buy it and put suspension and wheel upgrades on them. Its the next new cool suv just sayin!
Never even looked at those. But I will now. Thanks for the tip!!
      03-29-2020, 12:25 AM   #9
213e90n51
Banned
South Georgia and South Sandwich Islands
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i, Honda Civic Hat

Garage List
2009 328i  [0.00]
2019 M4  [0.00]
2019 Honda Civic Ha ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Never even looked at those. But I will now. Thanks for the tip!!
Also many of them have never been driven hard and taken care of very well while being driven very nicely to whole foods or 99 ranch market. Get one and treat yourself because the suspension and ride is so dank because they were meant to be offroading!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 08:25 PM   #10
SpeedBuggy
Comfortably Numb
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 x1/'13 X3/'06 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i   [0.00]
Couple of thoughts regarding your dilemma.

Currently own both an 2018 X1 X-Drive 28 I (non m-sport) and an 2013 X3 X-Drive 35i and both are great vehicles. We also own a 2006 330i with sport.

The X1 is my daily (45,000 miles/2years) gets 30mpg combined and is lightly optioned. It does have the sport seats which have proven to be rather comfortable. I would say they are a bit more comfortable than the sport seats in our X3, but just as comfortable as the e90 sport seats

The X1 is slightly bigger than the e90 with great head and leg room front & rear. Certainly there is more storage in the back. my X1 does have the removable floor and removable rear cargo cover that aid in additional cargo space when removed. X1 sits lower than the X3, but slightly higher than the e90. Also, the sunroof when open sits atop the roof and not internally in a cassette. Sunroof Sun shade is a mesh that does let some light thru but does a good job of keeping the heat out (X1 is Black on Black)

The size of X1 does allow it to be a bit more agile, not sure about m-sport but not as fun as the e90. The X1 is considered front wheel drive with on demand x-drive but never felt any kind of steer torque from the front end. The 28i turbo motor does well, 255hp, but certainly not a 35i. I believe the X1 and Mini Cooper Countryman ALL4 are the same underpinnings.

The x3 is my wife's daily and our grocery getter. It certainly has a much more space in the cargo area. Typically we can get all our grocery items in the back of the X3 but not in the X1 which requires us to put some in the back seat
vacation could be an issue as the X1cargo area fills pretty quickly with luggage. Vacation trips are definitely in the X3.

My wife and I are empty nesters so typically we do not have anyone in the back seat. Although we do have a daughter with a new born we place a car seat/ base in the rear passenger side seat of the X3. We do have to move the front passenger seat forward to accommodate the car seat. Have not tried the car seat base/seat in the X1

Depending on your family needs, you might want to grab the family, take the X1 for a test drive and while your out in it, stop at the grocery store and load it up with groceries.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 09:49 PM   #11
hybrid90
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedBuggy View Post
Couple of thoughts regarding your dilemma.

Currently own both an 2018 X1 X-Drive 28 I (non m-sport) and an 2013 X3 X-Drive 35i and both are great vehicles. We also own a 2006 330i with sport.

The X1 is my daily (45,000 miles/2years) gets 30mpg combined and is lightly optioned. It does have the sport seats which have proven to be rather comfortable. I would say they are a bit more comfortable than the sport seats in our X3, but just as comfortable as the e90 sport seats

The X1 is slightly bigger than the e90 with great head and leg room front & rear. Certainly there is more storage in the back. my X1 does have the removable floor and removable rear cargo cover that aid in additional cargo space when removed. X1 sits lower than the X3, but slightly higher than the e90. Also, the sunroof when open sits atop the roof and not internally in a cassette. Sunroof Sun shade is a mesh that does let some light thru but does a good job of keeping the heat out (X1 is Black on Black)

The size of X1 does allow it to be a bit more agile, not sure about m-sport but not as fun as the e90. The X1 is considered front wheel drive with on demand x-drive but never felt any kind of steer torque from the front end. The 28i turbo motor does well, 255hp, but certainly not a 35i. I believe the X1 and Mini Cooper Countryman ALL4 are the same underpinnings.

The x3 is my wife's daily and our grocery getter. It certainly has a much more space in the cargo area. Typically we can get all our grocery items in the back of the X3 but not in the X1 which requires us to put some in the back seat
vacation could be an issue as the X1cargo area fills pretty quickly with luggage. Vacation trips are definitely in the X3.

My wife and I are empty nesters so typically we do not have anyone in the back seat. Although we do have a daughter with a new born we place a car seat/ base in the rear passenger side seat of the X3. We do have to move the front passenger seat forward to accommodate the car seat. Have not tried the car seat base/seat in the X1

Depending on your family needs, you might want to grab the family, take the X1 for a test drive and while your out in it, stop at the grocery store and load it up with groceries.
Those are actually pretty good ideas. But I've gotten to the point now that if I'm VERY serious about a car from the dealership, I will let them tell me to take the car overnight because it's hard to REALLY find out about a car until you've driven it for a little while. Then I'll load up the family and take a ride to the store 15-20 miles away so we can spend a bit of time in it to really see if it will work for us.

That was how I actually got turned onto the X1. My E90 was in the shop for a month (waiting for parts from Germany) so they handed me the keys to a loaner 2018 X1. It wasn't loaded, but I know how it drives and how it feels. So I know the M Sport would just make it feel closer to the 3 Series. And having all the options would just make it even better!
      04-01-2020, 08:18 AM   #12
Fredo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

We tested the X1 a couple of years ago. The deal breaker was: no A/C vents for the rear seat. Our 9 y/o son rides on the back seat so that was a valid point.

We bought a 2011 X3 instead and have been very happy with it.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 08:23 AM   #13
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
I would hold out for the X3 over the X1.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 08:24 AM   #14
hybrid90
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
We tested the X1 a couple of years ago. The deal breaker was: no A/C vents for the rear seat. Our 9 y/o son rides on the back seat so that was a valid point.

We bought a 2011 X3 instead and have been very happy with it.
That I did not know. And that is a very valid reason. I might have to reconsider the X1 since I'll have people in the back and BMW A/C isn't all that strong to begin with.

Thanks for the info!
      04-01-2020, 09:28 AM   #15
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
X1 is barely larger than an E90. I have been in and driven both.

X3 is better, good size upgrade compared to the X1. For our small family of 3 we absolutely have to have the X5s because of the space. Especially if you have a dog/pet. We go on vacation and the car is packed full. No way an X1 or X3 would hold enough.

My vote is find a used X5 in your price range. They all have leather, GPS, etc. The difference between a high end model and low end is minimal.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 10:13 AM   #16
Wingnutts
Old Guy
Rep
Drives: 335is DCT

Garage List
2011 335is  [0.00]
2010 X5 35d  [0.00]
2009 E92 328i xdrive  [0.00]
We have a 2018 x1 28i without m-sport suspension in our family. I honestly can't stand the vehicle. The standard seats are horrible, the steering feels like my son's Tiguan and the past 60 mph, there is no power. I was waiting for a rear wheel bearing to come in from FCP Euro on my wife's x5 35d and we both agreed to postpone our trip to the beach last year to not take the x1 that was offered to us so we could stay on schedule. That's how much we disliked it. Maybe with some of the upgrades it would be more enjoyable, but it felt like the ultimate pheasant of BMW's.
      04-01-2020, 10:48 AM   #17
hybrid90
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
I would hold out for the X3 over the X1.
That is actually the way we're leaning right now. Especially with the Quarantine crap going on. It's not like we're going anywhere anytime soon anyway.

One of the arguments is that we can get into the X1 right now, but then there is no way to get into an X2 or X3 (or even an X5) for at least 3-4 years which is where we want to be anyway. The X1 would just be a temporary/stepping stone to one of those.
      04-01-2020, 10:51 AM   #18
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
That is actually the way we're leaning right now. Especially with the Quarantine crap going on. It's not like we're going anywhere anytime soon anyway.

One of the arguments is that we can get into the X1 right now, but then there is no way to get into an X2 or X3 (or even an X5) for at least 3-4 years which is where we want to be anyway. The X1 would just be a temporary/stepping stone to one of those.
Do you need to own such a new vehicle(2017)? Why not pick up the correct sized vehicle for your family even if it is a few years older?

I picked up both 2011 X5Ds for 20k a few years ago as an example. It's nice to have the newer flashier vehicle but I would prefer comfort and space over keeping up with the Joneses.

edit: It seems your really want a warranty. I have never owned a vehicle with one, it is something I never think about. But if that is a requirement for you, newer it will have to be. I would suggest trying to live without a warranty. It's a nice safety blanket I guess, but far from needed on most vehicles.

Last edited by Torgus; 04-01-2020 at 11:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 10:56 AM   #19
hybrid90
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
X1 is barely larger than an E90. I have been in and driven both.

X3 is better, good size upgrade compared to the X1. For our small family of 3 we absolutely have to have the X5s because of the space. Especially if you have a dog/pet. We go on vacation and the car is packed full. No way an X1 or X3 would hold enough.

My vote is find a used X5 in your price range. They all have leather, GPS, etc. The difference between a high end model and low end is minimal.
I originally started out looking at X5's, but their price point was up there. I could get into a 2013-2014 for about my price point, but they NEVER come with warranty so that always has to factor into the deal, which is a pain because the warranties are rarely longer than 2 years anyway. It was this reason in particular that I started looking into leases simply because then you're ALWAYS under warranty. And let's face it, unless the car gives me absolutely NO problems in the first 3-4 years, I will prob trade it in anyway. My car cycle seems to be 5-6 years.
      04-01-2020, 10:59 AM   #20
hybrid90
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnutts View Post
We have a 2018 x1 28i without m-sport suspension in our family. I honestly can't stand the vehicle. The standard seats are horrible, the steering feels like my son's Tiguan and the past 60 mph, there is no power. I was waiting for a rear wheel bearing to come in from FCP Euro on my wife's x5 35d and we both agreed to postpone our trip to the beach last year to not take the x1 that was offered to us so we could stay on schedule. That's how much we disliked it. Maybe with some of the upgrades it would be more enjoyable, but it felt like the ultimate pheasant of BMW's.
I do realize that going to an X1 would be a step down, even WITH the M Sport Pkg, which is another reason why we are starting to lean toward just waiting to find an X3. I didn't find it too bad, but I am starting to wonder if I would start to lose that "Driving Enjoyment" factor that comes with most BMW's. And if that IS the case, then why bother?
      04-01-2020, 11:02 AM   #21
hybrid90
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
Do you need to own such a new vehicle(2017)? Why not pick up the correct sized vehicle for your family even if it is a few years older?

I picked up both 2011 X5Ds for 20k a few years ago as an example. It's nice to have the newer flashier vehicle but I would prefer comfort and space over keeping up with the Joneses.
Really, the only reason I'm looking at newer is Warranty and Maintenance. I REALLY liked that 2016 X3 X35i w/M Sport, but the warranty pushed it out of range and that was when all of this Quarantine crap started so we were not able to follow up with more negotiating.

I also really like the 2013 X5's but those always have higher miles and definitely no warranty.
      04-01-2020, 11:11 AM   #22
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
I also really like the 2013 X5's but those always have higher miles and definitely no warranty.
If you get the N52 engine in the X5 they are basically maintenance free engine wise. Now it's going to be underpowered compared to the n55 or M57 diesel or the v8, but the engine is very reliable. If you don't care about speed and acceleration maybe look for one with that engine. It should also be the least expensive of all the models. I would not worry about miles on the N52. Miles also don't seem to kill cars now a days, age does, from my experience.

The e70(X5) they made from 2009-2013, 2011 was the LCI so they look the same 2011-2013. An N52 in a 2011 will be the cheapest x5 you can get into and look like the 2013 model.

Or, move away from BMW. You can get a hell of a lot more car if you don't want to buy a luxury brand. You are paying a premium to drive a BMW.

Best of luck with whatever you decide upon.
Appreciate 0