E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > N54 misfire and throttle surging PLZ HELP!!

03-29-2020, 10:14 PM   #1
ermiaj123
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 335is

Question N54 misfire and throttle surging PLZ HELP!!

Hello, if anyone could help me figure out what the problem is with my car...

A couple of days ago, I installed a VRSF charge pipe with DV to my stock 335is. The only other mods I have on the car are an AFE intake and MHD stage 0 for some exhaust burble...

The day after installing the charge pipe(after completely cracking the stock one), I was driving home when I got a half CEL. Assuming it was simply a boost leak, I started to slow down and pull in to a parking lot, but as I was slowing the car kept giving gas (and almost caused me to rear-end someone) while I was trying to stop. That's when I noticed I also had my brake light on weirdly.

Once I parked, my revs were jumping up and down from 500 to 800 rpm and sometimes jumping as far as 1500. The car was also just running really rough. I turned off the car and got these codes:

2CEE - DME: Throttle-valve actuator, sluggish movement
2D09 - DME: THROTTLE

After resetting all the adaptations, clearing the codes, and sitting for about 10 minutes, I turned on the car and it was the same thing, however with a different code:

2ADF - DME: Idle air control, engine speed

Once again I let the car turn off for 10 minutes, reset all adaptations, checked under the hood and didn't see anything wrong with connections, no leaks or anything. Turned the car again, had the same symptoms, and got new codes:

29CC - DME: Combustion misfires, several cylinders
29CF - DME: Combustion misfires, cylinder 3
29D0 - DME: Combustion misfires, cylinder 4
29D1 - DME: Combustion misfires, cylinder 5
2CFE - DME: Throttle valve, continuous adaptation
2D09 - DME: THROTTLE

After clearing the codes once again, resetting everything and letting the car sit for about 20 minutes, the car turned on and drove home just fine. I was easy on the throttle of course, and when I got home I noticed the idle was sitting at 750 when it ALWAYS sat at 600 before.

I've been too afraid to start the car since. I've been looking everywhere online to find answers but haven't been able to find any. Some have said that a new throttle body didn't help fix the issue.

Does anyone know what the problem/solution is, or have experienced this as well?

Last edited by ermiaj123; 03-29-2020 at 11:14 PM..
Appreciate 0