F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > F32 Excessive Wind Noise
Studio RSR

03-31-2020, 11:45 AM   #1
pw0n
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

F32 Excessive Wind Noise

Have a F32 that makes incredibly loud whistling noises at higher speeds. Been this way since I got it, and I've pinpointed the issue to be on the driver side. Based off my initial research years ago, I've always thought it was an issue with the door latch striker, so I would periodically raise it up a bit. This solves the issue temporarily, but it ends up making wind noises again.

I decided to get to the bottom of this once and for all. I examined both driver and passenger windows, and I found that the driver side has a tiny gap between the glass and the trim. The gap gets slightly more pronounced as you run your fingernail towards the front of the car.

I've done some research, and most results I could find point to a recalibration or reseating/resetting of the window, such as the guide found here:

I've tried this multiple times to no avail. I then examined my door hinges as some people mentioned having bent hinges. Don't think my hinges are bent. Then, I examined the trim as a lot of people complained of trim issues on their F30 (albeit, I have an F32), and I don't think I have an issue with the trim.

However, what I noticed was that when both driver and passenger windows are fully closed, the passenger side sticks out ever so slightly, while the driver window completely disappears. I believe I read somewhere in an E92 post (still trying to dig it up...) that one member said they had to loosen two screws within the door panel, and physically lifted the glass. Has anyone been in a similar situation, and tried physically moving the windows? If so, what screws need to be loosened in order to get this done? Pictures/guide would be wonderful - surprisingly, I haven't been able to find any videos on Youtube, but perhaps I'm not looking hard enough.

TL;DR
Planning on removing door trim/panel on my F32 to physically raise my driver side window due to a gap that's causing excessive wind noise. Second opinion needed.
Appreciate 1
exE36M3487.50
      04-02-2020, 02:16 PM   #2
Onizukachan
Great Teacher
Rep
Drives: 06 e91 325ix

Garage List
2006 E91 325ix  [10.00]
2006 Mini r53 JCW  [0.00]
2005 Mini r53  [0.00]
I hav3 nothing to contribute sorry, but my drivers door/window also has about 3-4x the wind noise of the other 3 at freeway speeds.

Kind of hard to tell where it is from while also driving so I haven’t Been able to narrow it down.
Though I suspect the window seal that runs along the base of the window based on it doing a pisspoor job of squeegeeing the window when you roll it down and back up again on a rainy day or after a wash.

A few OEM+ mods:
MTech front bumper, MSport wheel & handbrake, 4AD trim, full rear shades, more to come…
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 03:45 PM   #3
sebaNYC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i GC

i have the f36 and when i got it i noticed the wind noise its louder compared to my e90, i think the e90 its super quiet compare with the 435i GC no clue why
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 04:46 PM   #4
exE36M3
BMW CCA Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M Sport

Hmmm.... so if I read your post right, the window tilt in/out-ward (once it's all the way up) is off?

Take a look at this video I found. It's not BMW BUT Ford has an adjustment for the window to come closer or farther from the body.

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 01:09 PM   #5
pw0n
Second Lieutenant
Rep

For reference, if anyone else is having this issue, I ended up wasting more hours than I should've.

Ended up finding the solution here: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ont/1VnXXMGoHS

Lesson learned - do more thorough research before tackling on a project.

Helpful demonstration of the "special" window wrench (model no. 513240) involved:

I even broke my T20 bit by making the mistake called out by the guy in the video at the 1:03 mark. Note that the screw is reversed, and even going in the reverse direction, my bit broke - the sucker does not budge!

Anyways, I bought the tool off eBay and will be trying again once it arrives. If you don't hear back, assume all went all - cheers.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 11:22 AM   #6
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw0n View Post
For reference, if anyone else is having this issue, I ended up wasting more hours than I should've.

Ended up finding the solution here: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ont/1VnXXMGoHS

Lesson learned - do more thorough research before tackling on a project.

Helpful demonstration of the "special" window wrench (model no. 513240) involved:

I even broke my T20 bit by making the mistake called out by the guy in the video at the 1:03 mark. Note that the screw is reversed, and even going in the reverse direction, my bit broke - the sucker does not budge!

Anyways, I bought the tool off eBay and will be trying again once it arrives. If you don't hear back, assume all went all - cheers.
What was the outcome?
      06-30-2022, 05:03 PM   #7
fortythirtyfive
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435i MS

You're trying to re-align the glass right?

If so you need this tool https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362588812551

Do not try to undo the middle of the screw, you'll risk shattering the glass or breaking your tool bit. All you do is remove the rubber weather trim from the base of the glass, there'll then an opening between the glass and door so you can slide the tool down, hook it onto one of the cogs teeth and you can easily slacken off the two adjusters.

It's a little tricky to perfectly align the teeth at first so you might be best taking the door card out so you can see inside and guide the tool.

I still have mine from when I replaced the drivers and passenger side glass.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 03:01 AM   #8
pw0n
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortythirtyfive View Post
You're trying to re-align the glass right?

If so you need this tool https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362588812551

Do not try to undo the middle of the screw, you'll risk shattering the glass or breaking your tool bit. All you do is remove the rubber weather trim from the base of the glass, there'll then an opening between the glass and door so you can slide the tool down, hook it onto one of the cogs teeth and you can easily slacken off the two adjusters.

It's a little tricky to perfectly align the teeth at first so you might be best taking the door card out so you can see inside and guide the tool.

I still have mine from when I replaced the drivers and passenger side glass.
Yup, this is exactly what I had to do. It's held up well - been 3 years and I'm only just noticing wind noise. Need to reapply this "fix" - funny how it only affects the passenger side tho.
Appreciate 0