E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Radiator Fan Always On After VC Replacement

03-31-2020, 05:23 PM   #1
xjackhunter
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Radiator Fan Always On After VC Replacement

I posted about this about a week ago but got no replies so I figure I'll try again lol.
I replaced the valve cover on my e93 335i. After buttoning everything up, I turned the car on and noticed that the radiator fan was on full blast. I have no idea what could be causing this, and any input would be appreciated. Thankfully though, I haven't needed the car lately due to COVID-19.
Thanks,
Jack.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 06:10 PM   #2
mainbearing
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Maybe a connector was left disconnected?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 06:52 PM   #3
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjackhunter View Post
I posted about this about a week ago but got no replies so I figure I'll try again lol. I replaced the valve cover on my e93 335i. After buttoning everything up, I turned the car on and noticed that the radiator fan was on full blast...
"Fault Codes After Valve Cover Replacement (N54)" was the Caption of your thread on 3/22, BUT NO FAULT CODES were provided.

Perhaps others on this Forum have the ability to "divine" fault codes from hundreds/thousands of miles away, but I don't.

If you have, or can borrow, a scan tool, please read fault codes and post code(s) & definition(s) provided by Tool. Advance Auto/Autozone can read free if still open. If Scan Tool has ability to display Freeze Frame Data that shows basic engine Parameters at time Fault Code saved in DME Memory, please provide FF Data as well.

E-Fan or Electric Radiator Fan control by the DME is based primarily on ECTS (Engine Coolant Temp Sensor) Signal to the DME, so the first thing to check is to see if that Sensor Connector is properly installed, and its wiring is intact. Here is the Bentley description of the Inputs to the DME for E-fan Control, 170-3, p.356 of pdf:
Electric fan activation is based on the following inputs to the ECM:
• Radiator outlet temperature [ECTS Signal if NO ROTS on Lower Rad Hose]
• Calculated catalytic converter temperature
• Vehicle speed
• Battery voltage
• Calculated refrigerant pressure
Any cheap Scan Tool can read ECTS Signal as received by the DME (Engine Temp) as a Parameter. INPA can read Refrigerant Pressure signal from the Refrigerant Pressure Sensor, located on Right Side of Engine near the Washer Filler Tube. Make sure that Connector is also connected properly. INPA can also Activate the E-Fan at different speeds and show you its ACTUAL speed, to test the Fan Electronics and DME PWM Signal to Fan Unit.

Test Fan Speed, BOTH with A/C & Compressor ON/OFF.

Please provide some data. Telepathy ain't cuttin' it.

George
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 08:27 PM   #4
xjackhunter
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjackhunter View Post
I posted about this about a week ago but got no replies so I figure I'll try again lol. I replaced the valve cover on my e93 335i. After buttoning everything up, I turned the car on and noticed that the radiator fan was on full blast...
"Fault Codes After Valve Cover Replacement (N54)" was the Caption of your thread on 3/22, BUT NO FAULT CODES were provided.

Perhaps others on this Forum have the ability to "divine" fault codes from hundreds/thousands of miles away, but I don't.

If you have, or can borrow, a scan tool, please read fault codes and post code(s) & definition(s) provided by Tool. Advance Auto/Autozone can read free if still open. If Scan Tool has ability to display Freeze Frame Data that shows basic engine Parameters at time Fault Code saved in DME Memory, please provide FF Data as well.

E-Fan or Electric Radiator Fan control by the DME is based primarily on ECTS (Engine Coolant Temp Sensor) Signal to the DME, so the first thing to check is to see if that Sensor Connector is properly installed, and its wiring is intact. Here is the Bentley description of the Inputs to the DME for E-fan Control, 170-3, p.356 of pdf:
Electric fan activation is based on the following inputs to the ECM:
• Radiator outlet temperature [ECTS Signal if NO ROTS on Lower Rad Hose]
• Calculated catalytic converter temperature
• Vehicle speed
• Battery voltage
• Calculated refrigerant pressure
Any cheap Scan Tool can read ECTS Signal as received by the DME (Engine Temp) as a Parameter. INPA can read Refrigerant Pressure signal from the Refrigerant Pressure Sensor, located on Right Side of Engine near the Washer Filler Tube. Make sure that Connector is also connected properly. INPA can also Activate the E-Fan at different speeds and show you its ACTUAL speed, to test the Fan Electronics and DME PWM Signal to Fan Unit.

Test Fan Speed, BOTH with A/C & Compressor ON/OFF.

Please provide some data. Telepathy ain't cuttin' it.

George
There was no code for the rad fan, only for the active steering. This thread, was specifically about the rad fan. Shall I pull an imaginary code out of my ass? If your plan was to be a dick, you shouldn't have even replied lol.
Appreciate 0