BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-08-2020, 03:24 PM   #1
thedreamingtree
Rep
Drives: x3m

Cross shopping X3M and Macan S??

I know I know the X3m really is in the segment as the Macan Turbo BUT the X3m and the Macan S are around the same price to lease so they are the options I am comparing. Macan Turbo is way too expensive.

Pros of the X3m are the insane drive train, great interior but man the ride is busy. I'm coming from a e92 335i which I think has a nice ride and wouldn't want to go much harsher. The Macan S really does feel like the whole package but the power is a little underwhelming.

I will be driving the car both ways of an hour long commute everyday so want something comfortable and exciting to spend that much time in. What do y'all think?
Appreciate 1
DS_BMW1604.50
      04-08-2020, 03:41 PM   #2
JFerraro819
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp

From someone who had last gen's GTS I will say don't go below the GTS. Macan S is very underwhelming if your used to any sort of power and the X3M while harsher is still manageable. Personally with current incentives I'd sway towards the BMW.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 03:47 PM   #3
MRichmond
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR, e60 M5, e36 IP

Really different market segments. The power difference is enormous. My wife and I drove the GLC63 back-to-back with a Macan Turbo. After the GLC (which has similar power to the X3M), my wife remarked that the Macan Turbo seemed slow. She was right. The Macan line is nice but priced fairly ridiculously given the competition. It also felt noticeably smaller inside than the GLC and X3M.
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2020, 03:51 PM   #4
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

If Macan S is indeed an option for you, also consider the Audi SQ5. It’s basically a roomier, cheaper, Audi-badged version of Macan S.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 03:58 PM   #5
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

The Macan S is slow vs the M40i, let alone X3M. The Macan space wise is closer to an X4. The Macan has some great elements, PASM and Air suspension are great options but as a package it didn’t work for me for many reasons, the 2 biggest were the lack of room for our large dog and the claustrophobic rear passenger space. The engine isn’t a patch on the B58 either. I really wanted to want the Macan...but after I borrowed one I didn’t want it.
      04-08-2020, 04:05 PM   #6
thedreamingtree
Rep
Drives: x3m

Seems pretty cut and clear from you guys but I have to say as attractive as the power is of the x3m, the ability of the Macan S to be very comfortable and sporty at the same time seems better. My fear is that I will just be bored with the Macan. I know it has been asked over and over but for you guys living with rough roads (Im in Philly) and putting lots of miles on the car is the ride quality something you think about on a daily basis or is it really just BS? FYI the x3m I am looking at is on 20s because want to put AS tires on next winter.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 04:17 PM   #7
Mtxzptlk
Driving Dog
Rep
Drives: 635/1815, X3M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamingtree View Post
Seems pretty cut and clear from you guys but I have to say as attractive as the power is of the x3m, the ability of the Macan S to be very comfortable and sporty at the same time seems better. My fear is that I will just be bored with the Macan. I know it has been asked over and over but for you guys living with rough roads (Im in Philly) and putting lots of miles on the car is the ride quality something you think about on a daily basis or is it really just BS? FYI the x3m I am looking at is on 20s because want to put AS tires on next winter.
Still wanting the Macan but afraid of being bored.

Why not try the Macan GTS if you can land a great deal.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 04:20 PM   #8
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

If comfort is that important to you then consider the M40i, give it a tune if you want it to be faster. Mine is on 20s with non-RFTs and adaptive. Comfort is great.
      04-08-2020, 04:21 PM   #9
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Take X3M and install MSS springs. It will make it comfy.
Appreciate 2
r33_RGSport12976.50
dazzapb1050.00
      04-08-2020, 05:05 PM   #10
X4MforME
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M

Garage List
2020 X4M  [0.00]
Quote:
I know I know the X3m really is in the segment as the Macan Turbo BUT the X3m and the Macan S are around the same price to lease so they are the options I am comparing. Macan Turbo is way too expensive.

Pros of the X3m are the insane drive train, great interior but man the ride is busy. I'm coming from a e92 335i which I think has a nice ride and wouldn't want to go much harsher. The Macan S really does feel like the whole package but the power is a little underwhelming.

I will be driving the car both ways of an hour long commute everyday so want something comfortable and exciting to spend that much time in. What do y'all think?
Macan
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 05:15 PM   #11
MRichmond
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR, e60 M5, e36 IP

Quote:
Have you considered the other alternatives? MB GLC63, Jaguar F-Pace SVR, Alfa Romeo QF (if you have a dealer nearby).
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 05:28 PM   #12
Macanakey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3MC, X5M, 911Turbo & GTS

I replaced my 2016 Macan Turbo with an X3MC. The Macan's ride is definitely smoother than the X3's, but I concur with other the comments - I wouldn't go below a GTS if power is important to you. You'll find the S to be under-powered. I'd look for a lightly used GTS before I'd take an S.

That said, I don't find the X3 ride to be unduly harsh, unless I'm on really rough roads. I picked it up from BMW of Asheville & drove it back to Jacksonville. The drive there & back were way too long, because the great state of SC can't figure out how to add a third lane to 1-95, but the ride back was fine. No road-butt complaints, so I think some of the harshness complaints are overrated.
1997 911 Targa, Zenith Blue
2017 GT3-RS Lava Orange (LEGO)
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 05:37 PM   #13
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Had an X3M service loaner for 24 hours. BMW is fast, first powerful SUV I had ever driven. The way the body moves in relation to rapid on and off throttle is fun, though under hard braking total composure none of the body play like with the accelerator.

Does the Porsche Macan's Surround View Parking, Navigation and instrumentation interface with the driver as well as the BMW's ?

would like to test drive the Porsche.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 05:40 PM   #14
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 2020 X3MC

I was on the same boat, was about to place an order for the Macan S, but the discount offered on the x3m made it very compelling.

Having driven a few Macans (test driven and family owns one) and owning a 911, here's my opinion:

Macan S
+ PDK (zf8 is good, but cannot skip shifts, does not have crisp snappy upshifts)
+ Porsche engine tuning- Porsche has mastered the art of tuning their engines much more linear than bmw. it is more rewarding to drive at low speeds because the throttle is very very precise.
+ Steering feel: bmw has improved dramatically over the f80 m3 and the x5m i owned, but it is still not as linear and precise as Porsche

- features are a la carte: if you spec a Macan S properly and compare to X3M there is a huge discrepancy- torque vectoring diff, PASM, Sports Plus, are all necessities IMO, don't even add the interior needs and you're already paying much over the x3m.
- Engine: it is shared with Audi, and single (twin scroll) turbo- I assume driven hard around town, you will find some minor lag, especially if you don't get the sports chrono package with sports plus.
- Porsche nav/operating system- not as intuitive as BMW iDrive imo.
- Space: it is truly small, if you don't have kids, its not an issue, but it feels cramped
- Seats: unless you spec the 18 way seats, I feel lower end Porsche seats are under cushioned for long trips.
- New version is around the corner- Obviously your choice, but the new one is around the corner. Sometimes I prefer the older gen cars, but the new Macan platform sounds exciting, I'd wait before committing on the older cars.

Previously:
1999 M3 2002 M3 2005 S4 2008 C63 2015 M3 2016 X5M 2019 911S
Appreciate 1
paliknight2192.50
      04-08-2020, 05:43 PM   #15
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFerraro819 View Post
From someone who had last gen's GTS I will say don't go below the GTS. Macan S is very underwhelming if your used to any sort of power and the X3M while harsher is still manageable. Personally with current incentives I'd sway towards the BMW.
I currently own a B9 SQ5 being replaced by X3M Comp on lease end. I have driven and extensively ridden in a Macan S and test drove a Macan Turbo. I agree I would not drop below a GTS and frankly the 2020 twin turbo GTS is the one you want if going with Macan. The S and even the Turbo are relatively slow. My SQ5 is faster than S and barely slower than Turbo. Steering, handling, and transmission on Macan are better than SQ5 but otherwise SQ5 with S sport pack air suspension is sublime for commuting. The transmission and throttle response leaves a lot to be desired though so you just have to acknowledge it is lazy power.

The X3M comp or base is in a different performance dimension from Macan. The Macan is more comfortable (air suspension option!) by quite a margin, but if you're used to sports cars, the X3M is comfortable enough. For straight line speed and handling the X3M will mop any Macan you can buy. Porsche has really screwed up with not offering a legitimate 500+HP Macan Turbo. Also Macan interior is cramped. If it's just you, no biggie but for any passengers it feels tight. Tech and interior design is also very dated although not bad.

So when you add it up and factor in cost, unless you really want that Porsche badge, X3M is the better "sports" SUV. If you really can't take the X3M ride stiffness, you could get a Macan GTS or tune the S and just live with less speed.
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7837.00
      04-08-2020, 05:48 PM   #16
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Had an X3M service loaner for 24 hours. BMW is fast, first powerful SUV I had ever driven. The way the body moves in relation to rapid on and off throttle is fun, though under hard braking total composure none of the body play like with the accelerator.

Does the Porsche Macan's Surround View Parking, Navigation and instrumentation interface with the driver as well as the BMW's ?

If that photo was your loaner, that's not an X3M, that's an X3 M40i.
Appreciate 3
AlexFL7837.00
scarzie54.00
arube138.50
      04-08-2020, 05:55 PM   #17
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
I currently own a B9 SQ5 being replaced by X3M Comp on lease end. I have driven and extensively ridden in a Macan S and test drove a Macan Turbo. I agree I would not drop below a GTS and frankly the 2020 twin turbo GTS is the one you want if going with Macan. The S and even the Turbo are relatively slow. My SQ5 is faster than S and barely slower than Turbo. Steering, handling, and transmission on Macan are better than SQ5 but otherwise SQ5 with S sport pack air suspension is sublime for commuting. The transmission and throttle response leaves a lot to be desired though so you just have to acknowledge it is lazy power.

The X3M comp or base is in a different performance dimension from Macan. The Macan is more comfortable (air suspension option!) by quite a margin, but if you're used to sports cars, the X3M is comfortable enough. For straight line speed and handling the X3M will mop any Macan you can buy. Porsche has really screwed up with not offering a legitimate 500+HP Macan Turbo. Also Macan interior is cramped. If it's just you, no biggie but for any passengers it feels tight. Tech and interior design is also very dated although not bad.

So when you add it up and factor in cost, unless you really want that Porsche badge, X3M is the better "sports" SUV. If you really can't take the X3M ride stiffness, you could get a Macan GTS or tune the S and just live with less speed.
I don’t understand why they never made an RS Q5 with the RS5 engine. Such a lost opportunity!
Appreciate 3
Transfer5257.00
Macanakey138.50
      04-08-2020, 05:59 PM   #18
Billaeon
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5M Comp

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
I don’t understand why they never made an RS Q5 with the RS5 engine. Such a lost opportunity!
*this* - all day long. I held out in my S8 waiting for Audi to announce an RSQ5. While the RSQ8 is sexy, the price tag is not where I want to be - and TBH would be a tough sell over the new X5MC when it comes out. The RS6 finally being in the states was tempting, but again - the price tag was north of where I wanted to be at this time. An RSQ5 should / would likely have landed in the same price point as a loaded RS5 Sportback - fully loaded, 85k - 90k.

Having said all of that - very happy to be back in the BMW family.

past: '20 X3MC - Toranto Red | '17 S8 - Matte Silver | '16 X5M - LBB | '14 SQ5 - Estoril | '13 S4 - Glacier | '12 S4 - Ibis | '09 GTI - White | '01 S4 (Stg 3) - Laser | '01 A4 (1.8T) - Santorin | '97 Jetta GT - Black | '94 Integra EX - White
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7837.00
      04-08-2020, 06:10 PM   #19
-JLT-
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M COMP, '23 iX xDrive50

Quote:

dude, that's not a X3M. big difference between the X3 M40i (loaner) and X3M.
      04-08-2020, 06:12 PM   #20
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
If that photo was your loaner, that's not an X3M, that's an X3 M40i.
Yes your right, "Neve-mind"
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2020, 06:15 PM   #21
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JLT- View Post
Damn, I probably would have totaled the X3M, that XM340 was too much for me.
Appreciate 1
Transfer5257.00
      04-08-2020, 07:08 PM   #22
X3MARTIN
Rep
Drives: 2018 x3 30i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by -JLT- View Post
Damn, I probably would have totaled the X3M, that XM340 was too much for me.
Appreciate 0